Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

That is not really what rape culture just is. I haven't followed this story, but believe there issues of victim blaming, questioning the length of her skirt etc. Is that accurate?

The main issue stems from the diplomat having diplomatic immunity and the Malaysian Government initially not wavering it to allow him to stand trial which understandably upset the alledged victim.

A NZ court of law would not allow the length of the victims dress to be used as a rape defence despite "what he said or she said" played out in the media. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,908 times
Artemis agrotera a rape culture exists throughout an affected society, not just in the courts but at every level and every age group. Read the reddit link I posted to see the sort of abuse Tania Billingsley has attraced since she made the brave decision to go public.

If you want another example look at the 13 year old victim of the Roastbusters group who was asked what she was wearing at the time of the assault and

Quote:
the girl was asked to re-enact what was done to her with dolls, but was told her evidence was not enough to lay charges. She felt police inferred that she was "asking for it" due to the clothes she was wearing.
Ms Tolley doesn't believe this is acceptable.
Minister orders Roast Busters inquiry - Story - Politics - 3 News

When another victim of the group phoned into a radio talk show the two hosts launched into a victim blaming attack

Quote:
An 18-year-old woman, who called herself Amy, called the RadioLive show yesterday to talk to the pair about the Roast Busters, only to have the hosts describe the group's online bragging about sexual encounters with drunk underage girls as "mischief".

Amy was asked "how free and easy are you kids these days?" when she told Jackson and co-host John Tamihere she had attended parties the teenagers involved in Roast Busters were at, and she often saw them, sober, providing drinks to girls as young as 13.

The hosts discussed underage drinking, and why the girls were at parties without their parents' consent. "Girls shouldn't be drinking anyway, should they?"

Amy said they should not have been, but that was probably one reasons they had not gone to the police. "I didn't tell my parents what I was doing," she said.

"That's why I think a lot of the girls aren't coming forward, because most of their parents didn't know they were actually drinking, and I think because they're scared that other people will find out it's happened to them."

The RadioLive hosts said that if "some" of the girls had consented, "that doesn't make [the Roast Busters] rapists, does it?"
Radio hosts apologise over interview - national | Stuff.co.nz

Women have been told in court that they should have closed their legs if they didn't want sex

Quote:
A young Wellington woman raped by a bouncer in an alleyway could have "closed her legs" if she didn't want sex, the man's lawyer told a jury.

Keith Jefferies was addressing the Wellington District Court in defence of George Jason ****, who was found guilty of raping the drunk 20-year-old after telling her he could help get her into a club to see her friends.

His comments were condemned after the verdict as "disgusting" and "disrespectful" by Wellington Rape Crisis manager Natalie Gousmett.
They come in the wake of the Roast Busters scandal, in which a group of young Auckland men boasted online of having sex with drunken girls as young as 13.
Rape victim could have 'closed her legs', lawyer tells court

There are also incidents of police not following up on rape complaints because the victims were "too drunk to remember" what had happened to them, as if that's the only evidence that exists There is a feeling that they were asking for it and therefore their complaints are not taken seriously
Quote:
Rape Prevention Education director Dr Kim McGregor believed much of the solution lay in prevention.
She said victims were too often blamed because they had been drinking or wearing revealing clothing.
"Nobody goes out thinking they better not wear a short skirt because they might be raped - so let's start focussing on the offender and how we can intervene in their behaviour, rather than blaming victims."
Victims 'too drunk to remember sex assaults' | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Note how there is little emphasis on the male to do the right thing when in the company of a woman under the influence of alcohol. It's her fault for getting in that state.

Last edited by Samuel,J; 07-13-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
That is right. Comparing stats is difficult as the way countries deal with this crime differs.

That is not really what rape culture just is. I haven't followed this story, but believe there issues of victim blaming, questioning the length of her skirt etc. Is that accurate?
I hope that's answered some of your questions.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM

Another aspect of a rape culture is the vilification of people who want to speak out against it.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Another aspect of a rape culture is the vilification of people who want to speak out against it.
Keep going, considering Australia rates lower than NZ in Women's rights and opportunities lol

Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM

Ok, thanks I will.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
That's a persecution complex.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 PM

I've just been reading through Tania Billingsley's open letter.
Quote:
Only a few days ago Christchurch’s only rape crisis centre was forced to close down due to lack of funding. This in a city where sexual assault has risen 40 percent since the 2010 earthquake. These services need sustainable, ongoing support. I experienced personally the everyday outcomes of lack of funding when finding out that the waiting list for counselling through the service helping me is two to three months. These services are doing their absolute best to support survivors with the funding they have but clearly it isn’t enough.
Quote:
I want an accountability that is not just about legal prosecution. This is effectively putting an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, and statistically in 99 percent of these cases it is an ambulance that won’t even work. I want an accountability that is going to stop sexual violence in this country. I wouldn’t wish my experience or that of other survivors on anybody and if the Government really wants justice to be done then they need to properly address rape culture in our society and work on stopping sexual violence, not just reacting to it.
Wellington.scoop.co.nz » Keeping women safe; rape culture and the government’s response

Again I question how New Zealand got to be the third best place to be a woman. I suppose sexual violence is left out of the calculations.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Again I question how New Zealand got to be the third best place to be a woman. I suppose sexual violence is left out of the calculations.
Whoa!.... easy on the false sincerity. Work at being less obvious. 3/10

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
What are the rape stats in NZ compared to the rest of the developed world? where do we rank? the stats won't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand