Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times

Advertisements

I ask this because *I SWEAR TO GOODNESS* i read that "International Coffee" or "International Delight" or something like that, - you get the pict- was the #1 Drink in AU. I was reading an article on Wikipedia regarding Coca-Cola and it led me to the fact that this coffee stuff was #1! While coke was most everywhere else.

Sooo . . . i go back to Wik, so i could find the source, post it, and ask "WTF? Why all this coffee drinking? Is everyone high on caffeine 24/7?"

And now i can't find it !

BUT in general i DO hear that coffee is drank more in AU than USA. Is this true?? If so, please see my Qs above.

THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
No, it's only in SA, and it's a flavoured milk drink, a certain brand of iced coffee (not anything like the "iced coffee" they sell in the US.

If you could taste it you'd understand.

Quote:
Coca-Cola Amatil plans flavoured milk sales in SA
MEREDITH BOOTH NEWS.COM.AU JUNE 24, 2008 11:30PM SHARE

Ads By Google
50% Off Sticker PrintingEnds 8/15! Quality Printing. Order Custom Stickers & Decals Online.psprint.com/Stickers
SOFT drink maker Coca-Cola Amatil will take on South Australian favourite Farmers Union Iced Coffee in September with the launch of its own coffee-flavoured milk.

Farmer's Union Iced Coffee outsells Coke in SA by almost three to one – the only place in the world where a milk drink is more popular than a cola.

CCAmatil chief executive Terry Davis said testing of Goulburn Valley flavoured milks in WA had gone very well in the past 10 months.

SA's launch date for the milks, which include banana, strawberry, chocolate, iced coffee and mocha flavours, is set for September 18, with a national roll-out to follow.

SA region manager and former Glenelg SANFL player Peter Carey said the SA market was "very competitive – and a market that loves its flavoured milk". The company has not revealed how much market share it plans to take in SA.

Farmer's Union owner National Foods spokesman Julian Caples said iced coffee was a clear market leader here, South Australians drinking 36 million litres of it every year.

"South Australians drink 45 million litres of flavoured milk every year and we have 82 per cent of the market," he said. "We wish Coca Cola well."

His company has dominated Australian flavoured milk sales, worth $305 million last year, with a 44 per cent share of supermarket sales.

He said competing products, including Fleurieu Milk Company's new natural iced coffee, were healthy for the market.

COMMENTS
Some documentary evidence
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Le-9Nf1WbU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrnV24bp21s

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxgP3heHU5k

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 07-30-2014 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,271 times
I've never noticed it up this way but I'll keep an eye out for it from now on

Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
I would have thought international roast was #1 in 1989, not so much in 2014. But yeah, a lot of coffee is consumed.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 AM

Thanks WCG! I'm still utterly amazed at this fact! I guess milk IS healthier than soda!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 AM

598 posts, read 955,593 times
Farmers Union Iced Coffee is the nectar of the gods! I live off that stuff, I even like to freeze it then eat it frozen.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 AM

598 posts, read 955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Not as good as Browne's

Iced Coffee Chill | Brownes Dairy
No, it's not.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 AM

Great ad though!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Thanks WCG! I'm still utterly amazed at this fact! I guess milk IS healthier than soda!
At six teaspoons of sugar per cup, I don't know about that.

But apparently there may be an American analogue. Rhode Island has a syrup they use to make "coffee milk". It still doesn't fix that sinking feeling I get in front of American drink cabinets in servos. There is literally nothing good to drink. Few juices, no decent flavoured milk, no fizzy lemon or fizzy apple.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I would have thought international roast was #1 in 1989, not so much in 2014. But yeah, a lot of coffee is consumed.
A lot of coffee rooms stock International Roast so they probably are still #1. I think the last time I was back they only sold it in the 1kg tins.

As to the OP's original question. Australians are pretty big drinkers of instant coffee, lunch rooms, the old coffee vending machine are big on just having a tub of instant coffee. Even at home it's either high end espresso machines or instant, drip is uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand