Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 03:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times

Advertisements

Despite some "Get Smart" style comical media reporting in the last few weeks around spying, the NZ public has seemingly seen through the obvious BS and thankfully chosen to vote on performance of the standing government.

Election Results 2014 - politics - national | Stuff.co.nz

Hope all my fellow "supposedly" Poms in Australia that are not worthy to live in NZ are taking notice . I am a Pom (because I claim to be in a forum despite all the evidence against it ) which follows NZ politics in extreme detail which might seem very bizarre and illogical to anyone with a IQ over 40.

Anyway we Kiwis like to take the Micky, too early to gloat?, well maybe but I couldn't help myself

Internet Mana, do you know what a KO looks like , kinda like this, you are the Scorpion Transformer in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOgJXFpgxs

Bring the Rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Despite some "Get Smart" style comical media reporting in the last few weeks around spying, the NZ public has seemingly seen through the obvious BS and thankfully chosen to vote on performance of the standing government.

Election Results 2014 - politics - national | Stuff.co.nz

Hope all my fellow "supposedly" Poms in Australia that are not worthy to live in NZ are taking notice . I am a Pom (because I claim to be in a forum despite all the evidence against it ) which follows NZ politics in extreme detail which might seem very bizarre and illogical to anyone with a IQ over 40.

Anyway we Kiwis like to take the Micky, too early to gloat?, well maybe but I couldn't help myself

Internet Mana, do you know what a KO looks like , kinda like this, you are the Scorpion Transformer in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOgJXFpgxs

Bring the Rain!
I had no idea NZ was even having an election, can't recall seeing or reading any news articles about it.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:18 AM

And it's all over

National wins a 3rd term and can likely govern alone.

BBC News - New Zealand's National Party wins re-election

Dotcom I imagine is packing his bags as he has failed to influence the NZ political system with all his money to save himself from being extradited to the US to face criminal charges.

Internet Mana is wiped out, that's what you get for being funded from a corrupt source.

Election 2014: Kim Dotcom says he 'poisoned' Internet-Mana - National - NZ Herald News

We all like Dotcom, but he let his ego create all sorts of crazy and we all saw through it, congrats to John Key, well played sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I had no idea NZ was even having an election, can't recall seeing or reading any news articles about it.
I've seen a few things on Aus TV, but its not that interesting to Australians, which is you know fair enough, its not like Kiwis really care much about Aus politics either.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
No real surprises here. National have an even firmer grip than before.

Labour need to get back to their roots if they want to stay relevant.

Greens are the resident third party.

The cult of Winston is still going strong.

I think that Hone drank from the poisoned chalice.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Could some Kiwis explain some basics to a non-Kiwi?

MMP - What kind of voting system is that?

The places of the various parties on the political spectrum. Some are obvious -
Labour = Left of Center with a labor, working class focus.
Green = Left of Center with an environmental focus.

Others are not so clear
National = Right of Center
But then what is the purpose of the Conservative Party?

ACT
Internet MANA
New Zealand First
United Future
What are all these parties about (the names don't really tell you anything)? Where are they on the Right/Left scale?

The Maori Party is obviously a party based on the Maori ethnicity, but does it have a location on the Right/Left scale?

If a coalition had been necessary, who are natural coalition partners? Who with a bit of a stretch could be coalition partners? Who could never sustain a coalition together?

Finally, I read there are some personal animosities that transcend party politics. What caused those?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Me neither. I can't say I ever see anything about NZ in the news. Natural disasters aside.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Could some Kiwis explain some basics to a non-Kiwi?

MMP - What kind of voting system is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JamSJ_yguqc

As for the minor parties

ACT (right of Center)
Internet MANA (insane but entertaining criminally funded political party now with no seats :P)
New Zealand First (right of Center)
United Future (right of Center)
Maori Party (left of Center)

Labour and National are a lot closer in policy than many people would like to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No real surprises here. National have an even firmer grip than before.

Labour need to get back to their roots if they want to stay relevant.

Greens are the resident third party.

The cult of Winston is still going strong.

I think that Hone drank from the poisoned chalice.
The big problem for Labour is they have performed OK in opposition but are going up against a government that has clearly performed well through 6 extraordinary years. Engaging in the crazy spy circus near the end of the campaign probably didn't help Labour's cause much but I guess what else could they do!

I think the "Time for a change" mentality will firmly kick in for the next election no matter how National performs, and we will see a much stronger Labour result.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Thanks Battleneter. Given that ACT, NZF, and UF and I presume the Conservative Parties are all right of center. In what ways are they different from each other? At least with Labour and Green, from their names I have a sense of how they differ, but these other parties it's difficult to figure out.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Thanks Battleneter. Given that ACT, NZF, and UF and I presume the Conservative Parties are all right of center. In what ways are they different from each other? At least with Labour and Green, from their names I have a sense of how they differ, but these other parties it's difficult to figure out.
Act lean towards being Libertarian, but are in danger of extinction. NZF is a populist party and centre in the NZ context - tend towards being social conservative. UF is a one man band, unlikely to exist beyond it's leader's time in office - social conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand