Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,908 times

Advertisements

I have only one question.

Is it on sale in Australia?

Computer hacking claims spark 'Watergate' comparisons (+INTERVIEW) - Latest Political News - Keep up with Newstalk ZB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM

I skyped with my SIL last night. She said there is a feeling that Dirty Politics could be the end of John Key's political career and that Judith Collins is going down too.

The Standard has been reposting some commentary from Polity about the files kept by the state intelligent service and Labour's ex-leader Phil Goff:

Quote:
For me, the most shocking revelation in the book is about the use of clandestine SIS files as a weapon of partisan politics. To recap, John Key or his office discovered classified SIS files that were embarrassing to Phil Goff, got them declassified, then immediately told a right-wing blogger to seek those same newly-declassified files under the OIA, all as a means of smearing a political opponent.
Polity: Dirty politics: My 2c « The Standard The Standard

Judging from the number of Ad hominem attacks directed at Nicky Hager people are seriously worried where this is going to end up. When overwhelming evidence is presented attacking and bullying the messenger is what usually happens, rather than front up to the facts.

I think the sooner the emails get released the sooner the guilty parties are going to have do the decent thing and resign. If this was the UK they'd be gone by now.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
An IT security expert says investigating who is responsible for the hacking of WhaleOil blog site will be difficult but not impossible.

So another media story based on some IT expert saying it MIGHT be possible, as is a visit from aliens!

I doubt anyone cares about reading a book written by a small time NZ media journalist (a career lower than used car salesmen).

Old 08-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Gosh this story is still going in New Zealand and I see it's getting picked-up elsewhere too.
Quote:

The Whale that Swallowed New Zealand's Election Campaign

A spectacular exposé alleging prime minister John Key and his National party colleagues were involved in dirty tricks campaigns has created the most significant political maelstrom in nearly six years in office and blown the government’s re-election strategy dramatically off course, writes Toby Manhire
The whale that swallowed New Zealand's election campaign | World | The Guardian

I've finished reading the book and found it to be very well written and carefully considered.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
I skyped with my SIL last night. She said there is a feeling that Dirty Politics could be the end of John Key's political career and that Judith Collins is going down too.
Look at that she was right. One down one to go. I have a feeling Judith Collin's dealings with the SFO have the potential to be very interesting.

NZ justice minister Judith Collins quits

Our family are saying now if National get back in power they're leaving New Zealand for good.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Well they better start packing

But seriously, saw this on Channel 9 (I think) Financial Review this morning, and apparently Dotcom and Julian Assange are going to release some kind of Wiki leak the night before the election around spying on Dotcom I believe. Of course its a shame they don't release it now so we all have the time to check the validity of what is released, but no doubt the media kids will print it no matter what :P, lets hope the general public have the intelligence to see through it.

The opposition know that they cant really attack this current government on stuff like the economy, employment or government debt, so its just revert to the old political trick of muck raking and personnel attacks.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Look at that she was right. One down one to go. I have a feeling Judith Collin's dealings with the SFO have the potential to be very interesting.

NZ justice minister Judith Collins quits

Our family are saying now if National get back in power they're leaving New Zealand for good.
John Key is now refusing to hold an independent inquiry and that whaledump hacker has just released some more emails, something to do with Hanover Finance's Mike Hotchin and a plot to overthrow the head of the serious fraud office (who were investigating Hanover Finance).

'Whaledump' releases more hacked emails - Latest Political News - Keep up with Newstalk ZB

Wasn't Hanover the company that mum and dad investors lost a lot of money in, that English guy Genesis on Britishexpats lost over a hundred grand didn't he? I really feel for him right now, I often wondered if he got any of his money back.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 AM

It's a shame to see someone like Own Glenn leaving.

Quote:
Sir Owen Glenn has become so disillusioned with New Zealand he plans to close his foundation and concentrate his charitable efforts overseas.
The millionaire philanthropist says he has effectively been driven out of New Zealand, possibly by people with political interests.
Sir Owen also cited a media obsessed with unearthing scandal as a factor in his decision to quit the country.
NZ driving me out, says Owen Glenn - Business - NZ Herald News

Wouldn't it be nice if all the good people stayed put for once and fixed things?

Last edited by Samuel,J; 09-01-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 AM

Apparently Owen Glenn said

Quote:
"I've literally been driven out of New Zealand mentally. I've closed down my foundation there."
He believes he is the victim of the tall poppy syndrome.
"Why? I'm not hurting anybody. I'm doing the opposite. I've given more money away in New Zealand than anybody else ever as a philanthropist. Will somebody please tell [people] that?
"How many good Kiwis live overseas because they don't get a square deal Downunder?"
He's got a point, though the ones who remain probably won't agree with him. There is a tendency to treat leavers like deserters. I hope that someone carries on his work with supporting the domestic abuse inquiry.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the good people stayed put for once and fixed things?
Yeah, instead of quitting when the going got tough.

Choose your role models wisely. Judge someone by what they do, not what they say they're gonna do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand