Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,387 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,

I am PhD (Environmental Engineering) and have 17 years of working experience in design, operation and maintenance of water and wastewater treatment / Solid Waste Management and Projects for industrial environmental affairs. Besides, I also have teaching and research/ project management experience as a University Faculty. I want to move to Auckland city along with my family. I would like to know about safe areas for accommodation with nearby Primary and Secondary schools, grocery, availability of public transport facility etc. I have heard that some areas are not really safe to live for families, which I wish to avoid. Area there any volunteer organization that can help settle a new comer in Auckland city.

Another question is that whether Auckland is safer place to live or Wellington? I would like to reconsider my choice to move to wellington if that city is better in terms of safety with regard to theft, Bulgary, robbery, murder, snatching, harassment, eve-teasing etc.

I will appreciate if someone could really volunteer his time or identify some volunteer organization that can help me in the initial settlement. My mail is mohammad_masoom@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
I would suggest a visit before you move. I googled eve-teasing and this is not a behaviour that you'll encounter in English speaking developed countries.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times
I had to Google it too, I've never heard of eve-teasing. Unfortunately it does go on in English speaking countries.

If I were asked to produce an example I'd cite the shameful treatment of the actor Anna Faris. She was doubly insulted by NZ males: first by being sexually harassed on the street; and second she was impugned by a spokesman for the NZ tourism agency who her called her character into question.

Quote:
The 34-year-old, who repeatedly appears in lists of the world's 100 most desirable women, told television host George Lopez that a "carload of guys in their 40s" had yelled obscenities at her as she was walking home from the film set through Auckland's city centre. A few minutes later "a car full of older gentleman" called out to her, demanding she show them her breasts, she said.
Quote:
But when Tourism New Zealand -- the taxpayer-funded organisation which promotes the country to overseas tourists -- was approached for a response, it told a newspaper that no one would take Ms Faris seriously.
Ian Long, a spokesman for the organisation, said: "In that same segment, she accepts an award for being a pothead stoner of the year. "I don't think she has any credibility."
New Zealand tourism agency apologises for slur on US actress - Telegraph

Of course the award was for a role she played in a film Smiley Face, in which her character eats cupcakes laced with cannabis. It's incredible that the spokesman wasn't able to understand the difference between acting and real life.

One could take from this that women are subject to both objectification and vilification in New Zealand. It also touches on the topic of its rape culture, which has already been debated on this forum.

At the very least you may decide it wise to give Auckland a miss.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Samuel, I'm going to play the gender card on you here. The description I read of eve-teasing had the definite aggressive implied threat that you get in India, not in developed countries. You might feel threatened or creeped out, or in danger but it's not the same.

This video is taken in Egypt, but it is exactly what it's like in Northern India.

http://vimeo.com/104798581

Old 10-03-2014, 04:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammad_masoom View Post
I want to move to Auckland city along with my family. I would like to know about safe areas for accommodation with nearby Primary and Secondary schools, grocery, availability of public transport facility etc. I have heard that some areas are not really safe to live for families, which I wish to avoid. Area there any volunteer organization that can help settle a new comer in Auckland city.
Mohammad, countries like NZ and Australia rate as two of the safest countries in the world. Auckland is a safe city but like any city has desirable and less desirable places to live in. The least desirable areas in Auckland is going to be safer than most areas in developing countries, of course some crime does happen however context is everything.

As for Auckland vs Wellington been and stayed in both many times. I prefer Wellington not only is it smaller it has a real cultural feeling about it and its generally a nice little city. Housing in the region is a lot less over priced than in Auckland but you are likely to get paid a little lower.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Samuel, I'm going to play the gender card on you here. The description I read of eve-teasing had the definite aggressive implied threat that you get in India, not in developed countries. You might feel threatened or creeped out, or in danger but it's not the same.

This video is taken in Egypt, but it is exactly what it's like in Northern India.

[vimeo]104798581[/vimeo]
Creepers on the Bridge on Vimeo
Thank you for the video, that's horrible. I hadn't appreciated how suffocating eve-teasing is until I watched it. I also noticed the overwhelming absence of women on that bridge and can empathise with their reasons for not going out in public.

(re. gender card, I purposefully chose an ambiguous name when I joined this forum as I wanted to avoid the usual stereotypical filtered perceptions people have based on gender : I am female)

Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Ah, sorry. But see the difference? You feel like every single one of those men wants to rape and kill her, don't you? We have sexual harrasment, sure, but not that.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 AM

No need to apologise, it's fine . Yes. Absolutely I can. I'm glad it went viral and thanks for linking to it.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:18 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Ah, sorry. But see the difference? You feel like every single one of those men wants to rape and kill her, don't you? We have sexual harrasment, sure, but not that.
That creeps me out and I'm a dude!

I assume its because she wasn't wearing a Burka perhaps? to be fair.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 5,387 times
Thanks a lot friends for your replies, which give me an idea about Auckland and Wellington a bit. I appreciate your response Mr. Battleneter. I would be thankful if some of the friends could comments on other point in my post such as two points given below:

1. I would like to know about safe areas for accommodation with nearby Primary and Secondary schools, grocery, availability of public transport facility etc.

2. Are there any volunteer organization that can help settle a new comer in Auckland city? OR I will appreciate if someone could really volunteer his time or identify some volunteer organization that can help me in the initial settlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand