Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

Hello C-D Kiwis,

I'll be in NZ next month for what I hope will be a memorable motorcycle adventure, and I'm posting this itinerary so you can tell me what you think. I'm flying into Auckland, arriving around 11pm, then spending the night at the airport Novotel. The following day (the 5th) I'm flying to Nelson to pick up my rental. It's due back in Nelson on the morning of the 15th, so I basically have 10 days on the bike.

I plan to spend the first 2 days being a hippie in Takaka, and exploring Golden Bay a bit, after which my plans are totally up in the air. But I've been contemplating something like this, weather permitting:

Day 3 - Buller Gorge, West Coast, spend the night at the old hotel in Ross
Day 4 - see if I can ride all the way to Wanaka via Haast Pass, maybe stopping off at one of the glaciers
Day 5 - maybe start the day by riding a bit down the Mt. Aspiring road, then ride to Glenorchy, spend the night there or back in Queenstown
Day 6 - to Te Anau
Day 7 - organized tour to Milford Sound? Spend the night in Milford? From what I've been reading, the accommodation options in Milford are not ideal. The other option is to spend a second night in Te Anau, which might be a nice break.
Day 8 - head back up towards Christchurch, spend the night someplace along the way (Fairlie?).
Day 9 - ride back toward the north end, possibly with a detour to the Banks Peninsula, overnight in Blenheim or somewhere around there
Day 10 - ride back to Nelson, return the bike, fly to Auckland... where I will have a ~10-hour layover, so suggestions of what to do there are welcome.

I won't be traveling with a tent, but I will have a sleeping bag, so cabins (like the ones in holiday parks) would be an option.

Is this too ambitious? I really don't want to miss seeing Milford Sound, but if that means having to rush through the rest of the trip, it might have to go onto the "next time" list. I'm accustomed to 500-600km days in the saddle, so although I know the roads in NZ are mostly of the narrow and/or twisty variety, I can definitely ride more than the 200km per day that are recommended by some moto tour operators.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,400 times
G'day mate,
your plan is generally fine although my guess is that you might be tired of such schedule. Riding 600 km per day in NZ can be longer than in US, and you would want to stop at nice spots for some photos anyway. If possible at all, make sure you have some time gaps for a rest, otherwise you might be overwhelmed with impressions and got tired what can be dangerous (tourists confuse which side of the road to drive on quite often). :-)

Banks Peninsula is nice place to ride in clear conditions, give it half of day at least.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Doesn't sound overly ambitious, 10 days is a decent amount of time for the SI in general, but you know depends on the kind of person you are and what exactly you have planned, you can certainly get to all those places in 10 days.

I would suggest tyring to fit in Hanmer Springs 1.5 hrs North of CHCH, nice natural hot springs and pretty area in general, had plenty of good weekends there :P

Old 10-22-2014, 03:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Hello C-D Kiwis,

I'll be in NZ next month for what I hope will be a memorable motorcycle adventure, and I'm posting this itinerary so you can tell me what you think. I'm flying into Auckland, arriving around 11pm, then spending the night at the airport Novotel. The following day (the 5th) I'm flying to Nelson to pick up my rental. It's due back in Nelson on the morning of the 15th, so I basically have 10 days on the bike.

I plan to spend the first 2 days being a hippie in Takaka, and exploring Golden Bay a bit, after which my plans are totally up in the air. But I've been contemplating something like this, weather permitting:

Day 3 - Buller Gorge, West Coast, spend the night at the old hotel in Ross
Day 4 - see if I can ride all the way to Wanaka via Haast Pass, maybe stopping off at one of the glaciers
Day 5 - maybe start the day by riding a bit down the Mt. Aspiring road, then ride to Glenorchy, spend the night there or back in Queenstown
Day 6 - to Te Anau
Day 7 - organized tour to Milford Sound? Spend the night in Milford? From what I've been reading, the accommodation options in Milford are not ideal. The other option is to spend a second night in Te Anau, which might be a nice break.
Day 8 - head back up towards Christchurch, spend the night someplace along the way (Fairlie?).
Day 9 - ride back toward the north end, possibly with a detour to the Banks Peninsula, overnight in Blenheim or somewhere around there
Day 10 - ride back to Nelson, return the bike, fly to Auckland... where I will have a ~10-hour layover, so suggestions of what to do there are welcome.

I won't be traveling with a tent, but I will have a sleeping bag, so cabins (like the ones in holiday parks) would be an option.

Is this too ambitious? I really don't want to miss seeing Milford Sound, but if that means having to rush through the rest of the trip, it might have to go onto the "next time" list. I'm accustomed to 500-600km days in the saddle, so although I know the roads in NZ are mostly of the narrow and/or twisty variety, I can definitely ride more than the 200km per day that are recommended by some moto tour operators.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.
There are some very good NZ motorcycle forums. You could try asking on one for advice from people who know what they're talking about. Kiwibiker used to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand