Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Because the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander strands to our national DNA are unique, and set us apart from every other nation on this planet? Their artwork is also very distinct, so an ATSI motif or influence of some sort would make the flag instantaneously recognizable among the sea of flags based on tri-colours, horizontal bars and stars.
Excuse my ignorance of Australian aboriginal art, but is it the same across the country? Would using one groups art leave out others?

Here in Canada our First Nations artistic images vary greatly across the country, so if we used a Haida image, the Cree would feel left out, as one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Excuse my ignorance of Australian aboriginal art, but is it the same across the country? Would using one groups art leave out others?

Here in Canada our First Nations artistic images vary greatly across the country, so if we used a Haida image, the Cree would feel left out, as one example.
It varies here too, but they're all part of a continuum. So having something Aboriginal inspired, or in the style of Aboriginal art shouldn't be a huge problem. But Torres Strait Islander are quite distinct from Aboriginals, which is why they have a different flag. There would need to be two references in the flag.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

The aboriginal flag is a political symbol, so it represents all the cultural/language groups.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Australia's flag should have an origami kitty in the middle..lol

Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
canada changed theirs in the 60's and adopted their today national symbol, the maple leaf, even tiny ex-british colonies like barbados got rid of that stupid union jack and replaced their flags with other designs.

when are we gonna see a cool australian flag with aboriginal motives and a boomerang or the eureka cross with yellow, green or something more aussie.

get rid of that jack already

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...g_2463427b.jpg

http://bc.id.au/flags/images/aus-2.jpg

some of these flags are really cool
A dingo ate the prototype...

I think it should be a platypus in the center with a tie-dye background...

Old 08-11-2016, 06:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Take this how ever you like, but the designer of the Canadian flag was not a fan of religious or cultural groups having their symbols allowed on a national flag. He saw it as exclusionary. I know in modern times we look to indigenous people for inspiration in their culture, stories artwork etc. but I have to agree...if a flag is to represent a country and all it's people, it must symbolize and unite a country. Just my thoughts on it and I think it would be a wise decision for the Australian government follow that when the time comes.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 AM

733 posts, read 603,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I personally think the current one looks fine, but I'm not Australian so...(shrug).

I googled new Australian flag and found this.

http://i.imgur.com/OGveDRv.jpg

I find it super cool.
Cool!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 AM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Perhaps I see it differently because I know three people who serve under that flag for the ADF. One is currently in her last year at ADFA and will be entering the air force when she graduates, the other is coming to the end of his first year of being an artilleryman, the third is at the end of his combat career and suffering a mental disability arising from PTSD. Not one of them would want to see the flag changed, they're very proud of it just the way it is. That's good enough for me, nothing's broken that needs fixin'
I'm afraid emotional nonsense. All the better having a flag that truly represents the nation, not an icon from the past necessary. Many nations change their colours after sacrifice. The USSR would be one example. As would former South Africa.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Cool!
Looks too much a corporate logo to me.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Take this how ever you like, but the designer of the Canadian flag was not a fan of religious or cultural groups having their symbols allowed on a national flag. He saw it as exclusionary. I know in modern times we look to indigenous people for inspiration in their culture, stories artwork etc. but I have to agree...if a flag is to represent a country and all it's people, it must symbolize and unite a country. Just my thoughts on it and I think it would be a wise decision for the Australian government follow that when the time comes.
Canada certainly has a recognisable as well as attractive flag. We in Australia could learn. If only those against change of any sort could be convinced the changing of the flag, selected properly is no bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand