Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post

I'm very interested to see what incentives these employers are going to offer and how they're going to pretend they can beat the incomes, career opportunities and lifestyles that people enjoy here. I know that wild horses wouldn't drag us back to NZ, nor any of our Kiwi friends and family.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontstaryy View Post
Australia and NZ should provide higher education for free. Maybe youth allowance is given so the governments think there is no need to provide free education for high school graduates? Some other european countries with the same tax rate are able to provide for free. It is also ridiculous Ambulance in Australia is not free of charge. Even dentist examinations and teeth extraction should be free.

Does NZ have a constitution with freedom of movement?
Doesn't it already? A friend of mine here in the US is planning to go to NZ for a free doctoral program. NZ is recruiting foreigners for free graduate school.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Debtor's prisons are so 1800s.. But they definitely should face sanctions of some sort for dodging debts.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Doesn't it already? A friend of mine here in the US is planning to go to NZ for a free doctoral program. NZ is recruiting foreigners for free graduate school.

I have lived in both Australia and NZ I can say both countries have pros and cons, however both are good countries. All I can say is be very wary of anyone with unbalanced extremist one sided views in any forum, they often have unknown agendas, mind due you probably know that already :P

I suspect its not actually free but the government subsiding international students at the same rate as local students?, I have heard of that?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,423 times
Quote:
Why?
Lots of reasons but mainly because the incomes, career opportunities and lifestyles aren't as good as they should be. But it's quite normal for people to leave NZ and come here to live, there's supposed to be half a million Kiwis living in Australia so I can't be the only one to believe that . I read somewhere there is a higher percentage of Maori among the NZ population here than there are in NZ (which says something about the opportunities). Mostly people are happy with their decision to live here but there are a few who hate their host country and are ungrateful for the opportunities it gives them. C'est la vie, haters gonna hate!

Quote:
That's surprising, they must've got funding from a third party if they're offering free places to overseas students. Can you tell me more about it please? (perhaps in another thread).

Last edited by Samuel,J; 10-25-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Debtor's prisons are so 1800s.. But they definitely should face sanctions of some sort for dodging debts.
They do already, the NZ IRD has been actively bankrupting Kiwis overseas who don't pay their student debts. That's why I am incredulous. On one hand this government is trying so hard to attract people home, while they're curled the other into a fist. If they genuinely wanted people back they should offer some kind of easy repayment scheme and an amnesty on all the penalties they've imposed for non-payment. (Not the interest, just the punative penalties this present government has imposed).

Maybe the NZ job expos aren't to attract Kiwis at all but they're intended for Australians and migrants already living here, that would make more sense?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
But it's quite normal for people to leave NZ and come here to live, there's supposed to be half a million Kiwis living in Australia so I can't be the only one to believe that.
Its not normal that's a bit over the top, most Kiwis will never live anywhere else other than NZ. You can learn more about immigration between the two nations here,

//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...ng-aus-nz.html

Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM

@NewbiePoster The Urban Dictionary has got some good descriptions of the 2 countries.

The second para of #5, & the whole of #6 always makes me giggle, because they are so close to the truth Urban Dictionary: New Zealand

I particularly like #4 of Urban Dictionary: Australia.

All in good fun and jest of course, people get far too serious about these things, it's just sibling rivalry . Australia is obviously the better country to live in because 500,000 Kiwis think so.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
@NewbiePoster T
All in good fun and jest of course, people get far too serious about these things, it's just sibling rivalry . Australia is obviously the better country to live in because 500,000 Kiwis think so.

4.5 million Kiwis don't want to live in Australia and clearly rate NZ higher, and that's ignoring the recent trend of Kiwis giving up on Aus.

But you know that doesn't mean Australia is suddenly rubbish, its a complex topic and silly one-liners just cause conflict, not sure why any of us would ever want to do that.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 PM

Sorry @NewbiePoster, I under-estimated. It's 600,000 not 500,000 Where's the choice, bro: Kiwis in Australia get a raw deal

The perceived wisdom since 2001 is that New Zealanders can't claim unemployment benefit here, therefore when the easy jobs dry up they have to return home, either to work or claim the dole. This obviously goes some way to explaining their high labour-force participation rate compared to locals. But then any migrant on a temporary visa is in the same situation, it doesn't apply only to Kiwis. Even those of us who make a commitment to Australia and have permanent visas have a two year wait period, same goes for our kids.

That doesn't explain why the NZ government is trying to attract skilled workers from here at job fairs. If there were sufficient numbers of the right calibre people going home to NZ their government would be limiting immigration, not trying to encourage it. I can only assume that it's unemployed, low skilled Kiwis who are leaving NZ and it still needs skilled migrants to meet any perceived shortfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand