Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM

493 posts, read 514,937 times

Advertisements

Found a deal on Hawaiian Airlines for LAX-SYD via Honolulu in July. If I go, I may also go to Melbourne or Brisbane. I have a couple questions.

1. When is the best time to book flights to Australia for July?

2. For someone from California, will the winter weather be tolerable enough for outdoor activities? (zoos, beaches, parks, Blue Mountains specifically)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:54 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I was in Sydney from late July 2013 through late October 2013. While some nights and days were "chilly," I was never really ever cold. I went to Coogee Beach several times when I was there; it wasn't hot enough for me to get into the ocean, but plenty of others were doing it. The evenings were definitely cooler (you'll need a light blanket for sleeping if your place isn't well insulated) than the late morning/afternoon time, though, if that helps. If you're a little chilly doing certain outdoor activities (think zoos, parks, Blue Mountains, etc.), then put on a light jacket and you'll be fine.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:09 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Found a deal on Hawaiian Airlines for LAX-SYD via Honolulu in July. If I go, I may also go to Melbourne or Brisbane. I have a couple questions.

1. When is the best time to book flights to Australia for July?

2. For someone from California, will the winter weather be tolerable enough for outdoor activities? (zoos, beaches, parks, Blue Mountains specifically)
1. The sooner the better. Also check out Air Tahiti out of LAX, they let you layover Tahiti for a few days, no extra charge

2. Google average temperatures July for the cities you are interested in and decide for yourself what is tolerable, everyone has different tolerances. My sister in San Diego thinks 50F is freezing.. not I.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Generally, what do plane tickets run from JFK or LAX to SYD in the month of January? What about something like July like OP mentioned?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I was in Sydney back in June and July and found the weather to be decent. I'm from Miami where it stays warm, so I was a bit concerned how cold it would get to do things like zoos, parks, etc....same as you and found the weather to be just fine.

Cool to cold at night with day times being mostly pleasant. Not exactly sun bathing and beach weather, but def walks along the beach with a sweater or just a light long-sleeved shirt on...def good to chill in the parks and go to the zoos in winter there. you'll be fine. I'd bet sydney weather is prob very similar to California weather.

I found it interesting when I landed and finally got out and about in Sydney and saw lots of palm trees everywhere i was like "Oh, I guess it couldn't get all that cold then".....and it didn't really. Cool, but not cold.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Sydney in July is only a couple of degrees cooler than San Francisco in July. So if you can handle one, you can most likely handle the other.

As far as airfares, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "sweet spot" for international airfares is 90 days out. But if the fare on offer is ~$1200 or less, you probably won't get a significantly better deal if you wait.

Note that flying Hawaiian requires a layover at HNL, which (IMHO) is one of the most confusing, unpleasant airports at which to do an international transfer -- especially inbound. I did that recently on a trip to NZ, and vow never to do it again.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 PM

... and another thing: When I was shopping for airfares, the very cheapest ones were on Fiji Airways. I don't know whether Nadi is any better than HNL as a transit point, but it's certainly more exotic.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 PM

493 posts, read 514,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Sydney in July is only a couple of degrees cooler than San Francisco in July. So if you can handle one, you can most likely handle the other.

As far as airfares, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "sweet spot" for international airfares is 90 days out. But if the fare on offer is ~$1200 or less, you probably won't get a significantly better deal if you wait.

Note that flying Hawaiian requires a layover at HNL, which (IMHO) is one of the most confusing, unpleasant airports at which to do an international transfer -- especially inbound. I did that recently on a trip to NZ, and vow never to do it again.
Is an hour-long layover in HNL cutting it too close in that case?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Is an hour-long layover in HNL cutting it too close in that case?
Outbound, you should be OK -- as long as you don't need to buy anything for your international flight, and as long as you can figure out (despite the lack of info screens) which gate your flight leaves from.

Inbound, you'll need at least 2, since you have to claim your luggage, go through customs and immigration, and then re-check it. That should be built into your itinerary though.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
Air NZ currently has a sale on for flights from North America to the Pacific, including Australia, for between $900-1000, travelling May through September. That's pretty good, you are very unlikely to find anything much cheaper, but you'll need to book by Jan 7.

June/July is off season and if bookings are light and they need to fill seats, you can sometimes get some ripping deals closer to the time, eg April/May, but it's a calculated risk to wait.

I've flown on Hawaiian to NZ and they were ok, but they've generally been more expensive than the main direct carriers in the last 6 months or so. And the food was diabolical.

One hour layover is nowhere near long enough. If your flight gets delayed even slightly from the initial point of departure, you are screwed and I'm not sure that Hawaiian has departures every day to Australia (I know it's only 3 days a week to NZ), so if you miss your connection, it may be that you are waiting another two days to get out. I would allow 3 hours layover myself. I don't think travel agents are permitted to book passengers with a connection that's shorter than two hours, so perhaps use that as your guide. I flew from Newark to LAX last night on a flight that was delayed two hours at departure and we had to wait 30 mins on the ground in Los Angeles for a gate to open up. Five passengers missed the Qantas flight to Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand