Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

Hi! My wife and both my daughters (ages 24 and 15) are planning to start a business in New Zealand. I've heard New Zealand is a relatively safe place. Also, I'm willing to start my own computer programming business, especially since I've been working in that field for many years and my wife is an accountant. However, I do have some questions.

1. How can we get over culture shock and homesickness?
2. What are the places we can live in? (Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington, etc.)
3. Are we going to be discriminated over there because we are American?
4. What are the best schools in the area that we may live in?
5. What do we do first in order to actually start a business in NZ?

Thanks for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:20 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savinovichfamily View Post
computer programming business,

Its been a while since I have heard software development called "Computer Programming" :P

First you would need to determine if you are eligible for a visa, if so great, if not you are probably wasting your time looking at the specifics. Auckland is obviously the biggest IT market but there are hotpots in Wellington and Christchurch, its all economies of scale.

As for culture, I assume you realise NZ has much smaller cities with pros and cons. NZ might be exactly what you are after, but like moving anywhere visit first with a eye to move is easily the best advice anyone can give.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,688 times
Get yourself a passport and go visit. Nobody can tell you which city or even if NZ would suit your family.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 PM

100 posts, read 138,613 times
Quote:
Hi! My wife and both my daughters (ages 24 and 15) are planning to start a business in New Zealand. I've heard New Zealand is a relatively safe place. Also, I'm willing to start my own computer programming business, especially since I've been working in that field for many years and my wife is an accountant. However, I do have some questions.

2. What are the places we can live in? (Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington, etc.)

Thanks for everything!
1) Why would you want to move to another country and get over culture shock? Culture shock is one of the joys of visiting somewhere new. Read a book like this one: Living and Working in New Zealand: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working in New Zealand): David Hampshire: 9781905303762: Amazon.com: Books Can't help with homesickness; get Skype, and invite friends and family to come and visit (most of them won't).
2) Those are all places in New Zealand. I would suggest that your computing business won't take off in Queenstown. Your other 3 choices all seem reasonable.
3) Nobody will care if you're American. You might be shunned for saying: "In America, our garden hoses are 100 times better than the ones here." It's true, but keep it to yourself. Kiwis don't want to hear about it.
4) Public schools are rated on a decile system. The number actually refers to the average income of families living in the area (1 being lowest and 10 being highest). Decile 1 schools get more funding from the governement than decile 10. Most people want their kids in a higher decile school...
5) Go here and see if you are eligible for a visa: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ You probably are not: Entrepreneur Work Visa You might qualify for a Skilled Migrant Visa: Work and live in NZ permanently

Last edited by 72andsunny; 02-03-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:

Thanks for everything!
Why did you chose New Zealand?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Why did you chose New Zealand?
Likely because NZ is one of the best countries in the world to live in or visit.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 PM

100 posts, read 138,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleneter View Post
likely because nz is one of the best countries in the world to live in or visit.
+1

Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
+1
One of, but not the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand