Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times

Advertisements

NZ seems to do better only when they play in oval shaped grounds in NZ. Final match wasn't a surprise. Would have been much better match if it was played in Auckland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
I came in and watched it when it got dark and DH had it on in the background during the day. Seemed like a good match? and I learned some new terminology: bowl a maiden over, out for a duck (egg). The crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves, apparently the MCG had a crowd of 93,013 and it's a full sized pitch, larger than what New Zealand plays on which meant they weren't able to hit boundaries and score lots of points?

Anyway, great to see such good sportsmanship from both teams and Australia play so well. Cricket seems to be our thing. I teared up when they mentioned Phillip Hughes and called him their little brother.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
NZ seems to do better only when they play in oval shaped grounds in NZ. Final match wasn't a surprise. Would have been much better match if it was played in Auckland.
There is no way you can have the world cup here, and not play the final at the MCG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
I came in and watched it when it got dark and DH had it on in the background during the day. Seemed like a good match? and I learned some new terminology: bowl a maiden over, out for a duck (egg). The crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves, apparently the MCG had a crowd of 93,013 and it's a full sized pitch, larger than what New Zealand plays on which meant they weren't able to hit boundaries and score lots of points?

Anyway, great to see such good sportsmanship from both teams and Australia play so well. Cricket seems to be our thing. I teared up when they mentioned Phillip Hughes and called him their little brother.
LOL!

I did enjoy Faulkner's double wicket maiden over

The MCG is bigger than what NZ had been playing on, which meant less 6's were scored, but more than that, getting McCullum out first over, was just...perfect.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

The MCG is bigger than what NZ had been playing on, which meant less 6's were scored, but more than that, getting McCullum out first over, was just...perfect.
YES! I saw that, I imagine the setting must've been overwhelming for him, that wicket was a looong walk from the dressing room. His loss so early in the game would've been a heavy psychological blow for the rest of the team.

It's a shame the majority of the Australian team didn't all get to have a go at batting in the second half, but at least they could sit back and enjoy watching the game I was joking about making cucumber sandwiches at half time but that isn't done in ODIs.

Yup good day all round yesterday for Aussie sport, the Broncos won at Mount Smart.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I wouldn't call Eden Park an oval. It's the smaller grounds in general. I think NZ tried to play the final as they did in every other game. Once they lost McCallum early they were in trouble. It seemed that Guptil went into his shell as Williamson tried to play the anchor. One of them still needed to be the aggressor. Once you let Australia get their tails up...

The one thing that is really missing with the new Australian grounds is the balcony outside the players room.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Well done Aussie cricketers - you all deserve a pineapple lump.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:33 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Was at the final at the MCG. Sure as a Kiwi it was a disappointing final, but as our skipper said sometimes you have to tip your hat to the opposition. As on the day they were the better team.

Still finishing 2nd at the world cup is a decent achievement. And we played the Cup in the spirit cricket is supposed to be played. Aside from the final went undefeated and played some great cricket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand