Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:09 PM

54 posts, read 106,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am an American that is interesting living in Australia for a year. I have a few questions:

1. Which work holiday visa option is most common-there are a few options and it is confusing.

2. How much money is usd should one bring over?

3. How do you find a job? Do you do it before or after you get to Australia?

I know I sound naive, but I am rather clueless of how this works. If anyone has done this or knows of foreigners who have, please share your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I would recommend BUNAC:

https://www.bunac.org/usa

Work Australia | Australia Work Visas, Working Holiday Australia, Working in Australia, Gap Year Australia

I have known personally known hundreds of people that got a variety of visas through BUNAC programs and everyone was happy with them.

It should not be too confusing in regards to working holiday visas for Americans because there are only 2. One that is 12 months and one that is 4 months. They may have gotten rid of the 4 month one.

I would recommend you bring a few thousand dollars with you. Australia is an expensive place and money goes fast. Last I looked BUNAC recommends $4000 and the visa at one time had a requirement that you had sufficient funds to support yourself until finding a job.

Also these visas are not good if you are above 30 years old, so if you are older than 30 you are wasting your time.

You can try to find a job before leaving Australia. I have known quite a few people that worked ski season during the winter in Australia(our summer) and got jobs for that time period before they left. In fact Vail Resorts just acquired Perisher Blue in Australia which will facilitate a shifting of personnel between such resorts to cover each ski season.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 AM

15 posts, read 77,046 times
It's easy to get one from the USA provided you have no crime on your record. I think they are all 12 month visas now for working holiday. $4000 is the bare minimum recommended amount to bring. You will need a lot more than that unless you plan on couch surfing, house sitting, or sleeping in a car or tent. Costs of everything are much higher in Australia than almost anywhere in the US, so if you are planning on staying in the city be financially prepared. You can find jobs online, either the immigration site or general online job sites. You can always do a casual retail job with a fixed term contract if the employer feel you could be of value to them ( that's what I did). It did take me 2 months to find a job once here so planning ahead is better.

To end this, living overseas for a few years will be the best experience of your life and is totally worth it.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I believe as long as you are not above the age of 30 it is doable.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I am a U.S citizen interested in applying in a work/holiday visa, is there any other non Australian citizens who done the same thing? i am interested in living and working in Gladstone, QLD... i can get the money for the visa and the recommended $4,000 but my big concern is finding a job. if i just want to work a retail job will they want to hire someone who can only stay in the country for only 6-12 months? also is it true foreigners are not allowed to work at fast food restaurants?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:40 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am a U.S citizen interested in applying in a work/holiday visa, is there any other non Australian citizens who done the same thing? i am interested in living and working in Gladstone, QLD... i can get the money for the visa and the recommended $4,000 but my big concern is finding a job. if i just want to work a retail job will they want to hire someone who can only stay in the country for only 6-12 months? also is it true foreigners are not allowed to work at fast food restaurants?
Gladstone is a interesting decision. Not sure employment oppurtunities are that common in the city, now all the gas infrastructer has been built.

Fast food and restaurant/bar work is actually a very common go to occupation for foreigners on short term visas. I am not sure where you got that information from.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Gladstone is a interesting decision. Not sure employment oppurtunities are that common in the city, now all the gas infrastructer has been built.

Fast food and restaurant/bar work is actually a very common go to occupation for foreigners on short term visas. I am not sure where you got that information from.
I just like the coastal areas of Queensland and i dislike living in big cities so it honestly was just a random pick lol, and i found some very cheap apartments there.

and this is what i read about the fast food employment issue.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-on-457-visas

Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
As far as I know the 457 visas are being replaced in March by a different visa for temporary workers. If the OP is under 30 they should be able to get a working holiday type visa. But anyone can apply for a job at a restaurant. They government are wanting to stop some employers exploiting the 457s and underpaying the workers. For people over 30 you need specific skills.

Noosa in Queensland would be a good place to locate. Much more interesting than Gladstone and it has a big tourist industry to provide jobs.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I just like the coastal areas of Queensland and i dislike living in big cities so it honestly was just a random pick lol, and i found some very cheap apartments there.

and this is what i read about the fast food employment issue.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-on-457-visas
Ahh ok, i was thinking work/holiday visa, which is what the origional thread was about. The 457 is a visa that allows you to work full time for a period of up to 4 years think. Its an entirely Different visa, with different conditions.

Gladstone is mostly an industrial/port city more than a beach city. In that area places like agnes waters, 1770, Raindow Beach and Bargara are possibly closure to what your looking for. Of course there are loads of other smaller places in northern nsw and right along the qld coast.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Ahh ok, i was thinking work/holiday visa, which is what the origional thread was about. The 457 is a visa that allows you to work full time for a period of up to 4 years think. Its an entirely Different visa, with different conditions.

Gladstone is mostly an industrial/port city more than a beach city. In that area places like agnes waters, 1770, Raindow Beach and Bargara are possibly closure to what your looking for. Of course there are loads of other smaller places in northern nsw and right along the qld coast.
Oh no sorry, that was my mistake. my main attraction to Gladstone was the cheap rent, i found an apartment for $95 a week and it was walking distance to the airport. but thanks for the info, ill look into those more non industrial towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand