Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,592,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Me too. I suspect America is like Australia; every night across the country you'll find people sitting down to share a meal of.... barbecue beef, Thai curry, Vietnamese, seafood, Irish stews, grandma's recipe Polish dumplings, a Big Mac, microwave dinners , a tee bone steak and veggies, chicken parmigiana ..........

Beyond damper and Aussie style (real) Pavlova, I'm not sure what "Aussie food" really is.

Perhaps British food was never going to be a really strong common bond. No offence to the Brits, but its not really considered one of the world's great cuisines....
Luckily we both had immigrants to replace the English food. However, America's immigrants were a lot longer ago, while Australia's were more recent. As BCC said, American food is just blah.

Sure, the top restaurants in both countries are similar, and I'm sure there are way more Michelin stars in the US, but put Denny's or Shari's or the Cheesecake Factory up against any Australian country pub and I can tell you which will win. Average Americans just don't really have any food standards whatsoever. Google nachoes if you don't believe me. Or I could horrify you with a pic of the shelf stable cake like products they sell.

Or you could treat yourself to a defrosted meal at a neighbourhood American Italian place. America got its Italians several generations ago and have thoroughly beaten the good food out of them, the people who arrived in Australia and had to grow their own tomatoes and import coffee machines to get decent food are still alive in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,681,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Luckily we both had immigrants to replace the English food. However, America's immigrants were a lot longer ago, while Australia's were more recent. As BCC said, American food is just blah.

Sure, the top restaurants in both countries are similar, and I'm sure there are way more Michelin stars in the US, but put Denny's or Shari's or the Cheesecake Factory up against any Australian country pub and I can tell you which will win. Average Americans just don't really have any food standards whatsoever. Google nachoes if you don't believe me. Or I could horrify you with a pic of the shelf stable cake like products they sell.

Or you could treat yourself to a defrosted meal at a neighbourhood American Italian place. America got its Italians several generations ago and have thoroughly beaten the good food out of them, the people who arrived in Australia and had to grow their own tomatoes and import coffee machines to get decent food are still alive in Australia.
You just named a bunch of crappy American chain. I agree wih those being crap. There are plenty of great italian places with fresh regional food, especially in the Northeast. Olive Garden is a travesty.
The USA has good nachos and bad nachos. It depends on where you go. Real nachos wouldn't have that gross liquidy "nacho cheese'.
I was schocked while in Rome last year to see menus full of frozen foods. I saw aserisks on stuff, so I looked at the bottom of the page and that meant frozen items.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,212,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
There are regional differences, but that is the overriding theme.
Sorry mate...not true. I am not sure where you visited in the States or what you ate but it's not the overriding theme.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sorry mate...not true. I am not sure where you visited in the States or what you ate but it's not the overriding theme.
I lived there for three years. If American food was so fantastic, this thread wouldn't exist.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
You just named a bunch of crappy American chain. I agree wih those being crap. There are plenty of great italian places with fresh regional food, especially in the Northeast. Olive Garden is a travesty.
The USA has good nachos and bad nachos. It depends on where you go. Real nachos wouldn't have that gross liquidy "nacho cheese'.
I was schocked while in Rome last year to see menus full of frozen foods. I saw aserisks on stuff, so I looked at the bottom of the page and that meant frozen items.
Yes, there are some good restaurants, but the vast vast majority are excrement. Cheesecake Factory, Panera, Unos, Cracker Barrel, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, and on and on and on.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I lived there for three years. If American food was so fantastic, this thread wouldn't exist.
You must have lived in a region that did not do justice to American cuisine.

Come over and dine with me...I can show you what I am talking about.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:54 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You must have lived in a region that did not do justice to American cuisine.

Come over and dine with me...I can show you what I am talking about.
I've been to plenty of parts of the US but I was living in NYC. As I said, it's just my opinion, but it's not exactly easy to find American food outside America and given how pervasive American culture is there is surely a reason its food never really caught on. From what I saw, aside from very high end places American doesn't do nuanced flavours well. The abundance of chains is somewhat symptomatic of an unadventurous pallette.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,681,570 times
Don't go to chain restaurants. Go to small independant local ones. They are all over the place.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I've been to plenty of parts of the US but I was living in NYC. As I said, it's just my opinion, but it's not exactly easy to find American food outside America and given how pervasive American culture is there is surely a reason its food never really caught on. From what I saw, aside from very high end places American doesn't do nuanced flavours well. The abundance of chains is somewhat symptomatic of an unadventurous pallette.
I hear ya. I don't eat at chains and I love good American food. I was fortunate to grow up in a very international city in the South. Certain regions in the South create delicious tasty healthy foods. I am also a very good amateur Chef and cook a lot of my food. However, when I am not in the mood and I am wanting American I know where to go.

My favorite international food is Persian food. I have learned how to make one of the best Persian soups.

I understand the OP's craving. I have traveled to several European countries with lengthy stays and my craving hit me during my travels as well.

Like they say...there's no place like home.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Don't go to chain restaurants. Go to small independant local ones. They are all over the place.
And the food there is generally worse than the chains, which is why the chains thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand