Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 AM

290 posts, read 259,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Australians are rare in the US compared with Asia and Europe.
Yes, us Australians are often cooked medium rare. Mexicans like us with Tabasco sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Australians are rare in the US compared with Asia and Europe.
You just have to know where to look. Tourist areas anywhere we're abundant, but spend time off the beaten track in any continent and we're rarer.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:09 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times
I saw a couple of Aussies in a local fast food joint downtown a few years ago. One of them was wearing a tee shirt that had "Don't Rubbish Australia" printed on the back of it. I thought it was funny.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
Lighten up. What country are you from?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCTZF61ey0
pssst.....she's from, and in, Australia.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 AM

I was going to post a long post on the Dingo Ate my Baby Reference. I posted it and my internet went ha ha I'm not working.

So here is a succinct version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_..._and_acquittal

I do find the reference offensive. This was a tragic event that I was old enough to see on TV as it was happening. I would in all sincerity prefer it if people didn't use that line. To put it briefly Lindy and Michael Chamberlain used the defence that a dingo abducted and killed their baby. Hence the line "A Dingo ate..."

To give a US comparison it would be like saying a joke about Salem near people whose relatives had been in Salem at that historical period.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Like Slent hypnotist I was old enough to see the coverage and condemn Lindy Chamberlain wholeheartedly for a crime she was out and out framed for. We reviled her, and the line "a dingo ate my baby" was a punchline because it summed up the preposterous claim against overwhelming forensics. Every time we said it we were also saying "Lindy Chamberlain, that evil child killer, thinks we're gullible fools, but she is the fool for thinking we'd fall for it and she can rot in jail".

But as it turns out, those forensics were entirely faked to frame her and in fact a dingo had taken her tiny baby. With that punchline we were mocking her agony, where she lost not only her baby, but all of her children and her whole life.

So yes, I'm ashamed of my judgement, and I'll stand up next to Silenthypnotist and tell you not to say that any more. Just leave the woman alone. No wonder she doesn't live in Australia.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Like Slent hypnotist I was old enough to see the coverage and condemn Lindy Chamberlain wholeheartedly for a crime she was out and out framed for. We reviled her, and the line "a dingo ate my baby" was a punchline because it summed up the preposterous claim against overwhelming forensics. Every time we said it we were also saying "Lindy Chamberlain, that evil child killer, thinks we're gullible fools, but she is the fool for thinking we'd fall for it and she can rot in jail".

But as it turns out, those forensics were entirely faked to frame her and in fact a dingo had taken her tiny baby. With that punchline we were mocking her agony, where she lost not only her baby, but all of her children and her whole life.

So yes, I'm ashamed of my judgement, and I'll stand up next to Silenthypnotist and tell you not to say that any more. Just leave the woman alone. No wonder she doesn't live in Australia.
Excellent points. I was going to write something similar. People still do nasty, ironic [ because a dingo makes no sound] wolf whistles when they see Lindy or Michael Chamberlain. It's beyond me how people can be that cruel. Lindy Chamberlain had a professional artist do an abstract painting for catharsis. It has a giant dingo in it.

In a sense Lindy Chamberlain hasn't got justice to this day. She still says that under Australian libel laws she cannot name in public the members of the NT police force who were out to get her no matter what dirty tricks it took. The first police investigation said that there was no case for prosecution in 1980. The case was reopened for some pretty weird reasons such as the baby's name Azaria being mistaken for an occult entity Azazel. Their seventh day Adventist religion was also not understood in 1980 and its afterlife emphasis made them look as though they didn't care about Azaria's death.

Evil Angels/A Cry in the Dark is not great as a movie. But for anyone who didn't live through this event it would be worth a watch. Meryl Streep and Sam Neill are incredible likenesses for Lindy and Michael Chamberlain.

It ruined their marriage. Lindy was a harder woman for being in jail.

So we would ask for some respect please. We won't make jokes about say the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Thank you.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
Lighten up. What country are you from
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^ what he said.

I agree with the other posts on this. My sense of humour is fine. I just never found an 8week old baby going missing and the subsequent horror story for the mother and family as funny.

Oh, and it's been 35 years. Maybe you need some new material.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:17 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Evidently Elaine can do an excellent Australian accent. I don't find the Dingo line as funny either.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 PM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post

To give a US comparison it would be like saying a joke about Salem near people whose relatives had been in Salem at that historical period.
Yes, far too soon to be making jokes about 17th century witch trials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand