Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,594 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are about to migrate Australia (Melbourne in 5 weeks) I am a Kiwi and my wife is Spanish and our 3 year old daughter is both

We are staying with family in NZ at the moment so have time to prepare things and are starting to think about what we can do before arriving.

So far we have:
Visa for my wife
I have a bank account and Tax File Number

I think we will try to apply for a Tax File Number for my wife before we arrive (looks like we can do it on line)

So to the point, any ideas and or recommendations for things we can do now? We plan to stay in a Hotel for around a week when we arrive to give us time find a house/apartment to rent.

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 04:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
I'm pretty sure you have to actually be in Australia before you apply for your TFN.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:07 PM

Hi PDF,

It looks like we need to provide a postal address (in Australia) to apply, we are just waiting to hear back from some friends who live in Tasmania and Adelaide as to if we can have the TFN sent to them. Then we will apply and see

Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 AM

158 posts, read 214,917 times
It might be cheaper t rent an apartment or house short term via Air BnB in an area you think you want to live in. It'll give you a better idea of that area too. Then long term, rent thru an estate agent. Bring rental references.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinol View Post
Hi PDF,

It looks like we need to provide a postal address (in Australia) to apply, we are just waiting to hear back from some friends who live in Tasmania and Adelaide as to if we can have the TFN sent to them. Then we will apply and see
Cool, maybe it is different for different visa types. I was unable to apply for my TFN until I was actually in the country.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,225,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinol View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are about to migrate Australia (Melbourne in 5 weeks) I am a Kiwi and my wife is Spanish and our 3 year old daughter is both

We are staying with family in NZ at the moment so have time to prepare things and are starting to think about what we can do before arriving.

So far we have:
Visa for my wife
I have a bank account and Tax File Number

I think we will try to apply for a Tax File Number for my wife before we arrive (looks like we can do it on line)

So to the point, any ideas and or recommendations for things we can do now? We plan to stay in a Hotel for around a week when we arrive to give us time find a house/apartment to rent.

Thanks for your time
Congratulations for making the move. We did the same and moved to Queensland. Best.Thing.Ever. The opportunities it's given us have been beyond all our expectations.

My advice is to find a short term rental (up to 6 months) while you take a good look around and decide where you want to live. With a young child I'd stay out of the city and look for somewhere with good childcare facilities, parks, shops, beaches and entertainment options for all three of you. Try somewhere near the coast with good transport links that's popular with young families.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 769 times
Congratulations on the big move! My husband actually moved here from America nearly 10 years ago and he says it was the best decision that he ever made. Hopefully you’ll feel the same way!

You don’t mention where in Australia you’re moving to, but regardless of the location Hipmunk is a great place to search for your hotel and your flights. The tabbed trip searches make it so easy to stay organised and the user reviews give you real insight rather than the usual hotel spin. For example, if you’re moving to Surfers Paradise you could just look here (https://www.hipmunk.com/Hotels-in-Surfers-Paradise-QLD) and get information about the hotels and the area.

Making sure your visas and passports are in order is the main thing. Having that sorted is awesome.

Many things, like the public health system Medicare, will require you to be in the country to apply. You're eligible for Medicare when you get here (http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...aland-citizens) but your wife's not. Given that, I’d suggest she have a check-up before you leave. That way you won’t come to Australia and face high medical expenses until she's eligible for the cheap coverage. I’d also make sure that I’d closed my bank accounts and given notice to the landlord or at least started proceedings on selling your property (whatever applies). I’d also look into selling a lot of stuff, because it’s really expensive to ship. So a garage sale might be in order.

And then it’s just about research. This is a big move, so you’re bound to be nervous. Researching your local area and perhaps joining some Facebook groups or communities to make new friends is going to ease those nerves and make you feel more comfortable when you arrive.

Good luck!

Last edited by lauren_katulka; 06-03-2015 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Fixed a typo

Old 06-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Firstly thanks for all you replies and sorry for the slow response/update. I only just received an email notification that there were new posts.

@PDF after reading up on the TFN website, it specifies that you should be in the country to apply for one so to avoid any complications even though we have a postal address (a friends place) we are going to wait.

@sydneybeach we did look on AirBNB but found it was even for expensive than a short term apartment. We have found a place on booking.com in St Kilda for $1100 a week and booked it so far for the first week.

@Samuel we are thinking about south eastern Melbourne which sounds like it has many of those things apart from the beach

@Lauren thanks for your ideas/information we will join some Facebook groups and look forward to networking when we arrive, it should be interesting to as we would like to become involved in the kiwi and Spanish speaking communities.

We are quite lucky as my wife is entitled to Medicare. My wife has a 309 (partnership based migration visa) I was in Australia 26th of February 2001 when the rules were changed for NZ citizens, I unknowingly became an "Eligible New Zealander"

Thanks for all you good wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand