Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Many years ago, I attempted to immigrate to NZ, but failed on the points system. Now I have the opportunity to work as an unpaid intern, and have several questions around that theme:

1. What can I do, both currently while I'm in the US and once I arrive in NZ, to maximize my chances of finding employment while I'm there, and therefore increasing my chances of becoming a resident? By the time I've completed the internship, I will have obtained my master's degree in mental health counseling, and my undergraduate degree is in Education.

2. The options for the internship are limited to Auckland, Christchurch, and Wellington. One of the criterion for which I will decide which city to perform my internship is which location I might be more likely to find a full-time job in the mental health field. Any suggestions in that regard? Obviously Auckland is the largest of the three, but I'm wondering if there might be a greater need in one of the other locations (Wellington, and especially Christchurch, are higher on my list of preferences, but being pragmatic is of course important here).

3. I've noticed that Social Worker is on the long-term shortage list of occupations, and in the States, an LCSW (licensed clinical social worker) is practically identical to the LPC (licensed professional counselor, which I am pursuing), with the job requirements often being interchangeable. Is the same true in NZ? The classifications, roughly speaking, in the States, are as follows:

-- Psychiatrist (requires Phd, roughly equivalent to a medical doctor and can therefore dispense medication)
-- Psychologist (requires Phd and focuses more on assessment and research moreso than counseling, but also qualified to counsel as well)
-- Counselor/LPC (Therapist) -- requires Master's degree and focuses on conducting individual and group therapy for those suffering from mental illness
-- Social worker/LCSW -- requires master's degree and very similar to Counselor, but with more focus on the social system; also qualified to provide individual and group counseling)

If anyone could supply resources on the NZ classifications, I would be grateful. I'm early in the process, so still conducting my research, but would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand