Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,156 times

Advertisements

I have lost touch with my late half brother Phillip's wife Jill Lewis. Now I am not sure if she has re-married
as I am going back some years but she lived right near to Sydney Opera House and had two sons Christopher and Nicholas. My father Charles Carey Lewis (nicknams Snowy) sadly died many years ago and
flew over to Oz fr funeral which was my last visit. He was Phillips father by another mother so was my half brother. My dad known as Snowy lived in Perth and that is where me and my husband are heading in October with a side trip to Sydney. It would be great to catch up with Jill and know how her life panned out.
My name is Lorraine Kathleen and I am now married to David and we livve in Torrevieja Spain, my surname now Whitney,

So if anybody knows Jill (or Gillian) Lewis I would be thrilled to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 03:16 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,145 times
When and where did Jill marry Phillip? Do you have her full name (i.e. including middle name). The reason I ask is that if it was before the mid 80s, the electoral rolls were listed regionally and after this mid 80s, they were listed in alphabetical order for the whole state.

Also if they married in NSW before 1965, they would be listed in BDM (however, I did check all marriages from 1930-1965 for Philip/Phillip Lewis and there were no Phillips married to any Jill/Gillian).

Back to the electoral rolls. The good thing is that if one knows where someone lived, one can check that particular regional electoral roll before the mid 1980s without necessary having to have the full name, eg if oneknows that a Phillip and Jill Lewis lived in a particular suburb somewhere, then the pre-1980s era electoral rolls will probably list their full name (i.e. middle name if you don't already know it). If one then knows the full name of a person, eg just say Jill's name is Jillian Patricia Lewis, it makes it easier to then check all states electoral rolls after the mid 80s/90s because each state is now listed in alphabetical order.

Ancestry.com can also be of help even one is not a member. One good thing about Ancestry.com and electoral rolls is that if you are looking up a woman and you know her first and middle names, you can search for all people with that combination of first and middle names. Unfortunately, Ancestry.com only goes up to 1980 and doesn't have every region (I'm not even sure if they have WA, however, they do have most of Sydney and a lot of NSW).

Btw you said that you thought Jill lived near the Opera House. The nearest suburb (outside the City of Sydney itself) is Woolloomooloo although she might have also lived in other Inner East suburbs.

If you would like some help searching for Jill, I could see what I could find. As I said in the first paragraph, knowing her full name, when approximately she married Phillip, where they lived etc, what year Christopher and Nicholas were born, is information that can help locate Jill.

Alternatively, if nothing can be found, there is a column in the Daily Telegraph called InSearch which helps people find others - the following gives the details of the column and some examples of other people's search entries:

http://docs.prosentient.com.au/prose...=1&isAllowed=y

Old 05-30-2016, 03:20 AM

Btw there is also a People Search Subforum on this forum. I did answer on this forum though because people in Australia can often be found online via electoral rolls and BDM, especially those who voted before 1980 and married before 1960s, and especially if they lived in NSW.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 05-30-2016, 03:46 AM

Also Ryerson Index is useful for finding out if there are any obituaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand