Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:23 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Australia is expensive compared to the US/Canada for almost everything
North Americans make the same complaints about European countries, overlooking that people at the bottom in these "expensive" countries earn significantly more.

Real minimum wage in U.S. dollars at 2014 exchange rates (OECD 2014):
  • Australia ($15.00)
  • Canada ($9.40)
  • United States ($7.30)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
North Americans make the same complaints about European countries, overlooking that people at the bottom in these "expensive" countries earn significantly more.

• Australia ($15.00)
  • Canada ($9.40)
  • United States ($7.30)
But you pay higher taxes so what remains from this $15?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:

• Australia ($15.00)
  • Canada ($9.40)
  • United States ($7.30)

Minimum wages in Canada are provincial. Each province is different. Here's a current list with some info about changes in 2017.

Current And Forthcoming Minimum Hourly Wage Rates For Experienced Adult Workers in Canada

In the US, they do have a federal minimum wage but they also have state minimum wages and even city minimum wages where some places like Seattle will reach $15.00 in increments.

State Minimum Wages | 2016 Minimum Wage by State

What the US does have is some states with no minimum wage, and they go by the federal one...with some exceptions for servers etc.

The other thing about minimum wage jobs, is that the vast majority are in the service industry. These people collect tips and since the tipping culture is prevalent in Canada and the US, these workers end up making much more that servers in Australia overall...sometimes as undeclared income.

The issue for me is when the minimum wage jobs aren't jobs where one gets tips.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,930 times
Don't pretend that US minimum wage jobs are tipped. Tipped jobs have that special below minimum wage wage. Minimum wage or very low paying ($10 and below) jobs are in retail, fast food, cleaning, etc. They are not tipped.

And the very very few, cities where a $15 wage is being proposed (Seattle, and are there any others?) are rare and it's contentious.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Don't pretend that US minimum wage jobs are tipped. Tipped jobs have that special below minimum wage wage. Minimum wage or very low paying ($10 and below) jobs are in retail, fast food, cleaning, etc. They are not tipped.

And the very very few, cities where a $15 wage is being proposed (Seattle, and are there any others?) are rare and it's contentious.
I'm not pretending. If you read my post it mentions both tipped and untipped jobs. In fact my last line stated "The issue for me is when the minimum wage jobs aren't jobs where one gets tips.'

If you would have read the link I posted re US, you would of seen the other places where $15 has been enacted or will be. For instance all of New York State,and slowly California.

Is it enough, no, but the point of my post was to counter the poster who gave the impression that the US minimum was was $7.30 WITHOUT mentioning the huge fluctuations between states.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
But you pay higher taxes so what remains from this $15?
The data is in U.S. dollars and I can't be bothered calculating the specifics, but this infographic speaks volumes:

BBC - Capital - Best and worst places for people on minimum wage

Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I don't think you can really generalize as easily as that.

For example, at my local supermarket you can buy a can of sardines for the equivalent of 1.22 USD, 2.42 USD or 0.48USD depending on brand - the 48 cent can actually being about 20% larger than the most expensive. So which would your friend choose?

Most cost comparison sites don't show Australia as being significantly more expensive than the US and Canada. Here's Adelaide compared to Vancouver, a pretty reasonable comparison - Cost of Living Comparison Between Adelaide, Australia And Vancouver, Canada

Here's Adelaide compared to San Francisco - a not so reasonable comparison - Cost of Living Comparison Between Adelaide, Australia And San Francisco, CA, United States

Here's Melbourne compared to San Francisco - a valid comparison - Cost of Living Comparison Between Melbourne, Australia And San Francisco, CA, United States
Not really a fair comparison as Adelaide is like the cheapest major city in Australia and Vancouver is like the most expensive major city in Canada. Compare cost of living including housing costs alone in Adelaide to Halifax or Winnipeg.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The data is in U.S. dollars and I can't be bothered calculating the specifics, but this infographic speaks volumes:

BBC - Capital - Best and worst places for people on minimum wage
It's using the US federal minimum wage, which is a minimum federally. It doesn't take into account states with higher min wages.

Also if two people are making $15 dollars per hour in Australia and get paid for an 8 hour day, that's $240 BEFORE taxes and deductions. Where are the stats on different deductions and tax rates in each country.

So far, it seem a rather silly chart.

I'm not trying to say the situation in the US is better, but the chart is rather vague on those details.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's using the US federal minimum wage, which is a minimum federally. It doesn't take into account states with higher min wages.
I made a mistake earlier by overlooking the differences across states and provinces in the U.S. and Canada.

That being said, my initial point stands. Australians can afford their higher cost of living because even people at the bottom earn a decent wage. That is precisely why tipping is less common.

Interestingly, waitstaff in Sydney and Melbourne can earn between $250-$500 (on average) a week in tips. That is quite good for cities in a high minimum wage country without a real tipping culture.

Just because North American tourists find Australian (or Scandinavian) prices "too expensive", doesn't mean that Australians and Scandinavians do.

Even within North America, Americans complain about Canada being "expensive". Prices are all relative.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 06-21-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Exactly. Your friend decides to buy more expensive food. Lots of people do that. They have the money, they buy expensive food because they like it.

Prepackaged food and drinks are more expensive than fresh, yes. That is the way it should be, it doesn't make Australian food more expensive, it makes Americans lazy and ill nourished.
Not all prepackaged food is unhealthy. I don't know where you get that idea from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand