Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Our flag should change. We are one of the most richest and prosperous countries in the world. Why should our flag have another country's one? It doesn't do us justice. Not to mention, it's ironic that most of our hardcore Aussie patriots are against the idea, considering that their flag is, well, partially foreign.

This diagram was an eye-opener:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 11:06 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGGIE View Post
As for Indigenous I was born in Australia and so were my parents , but maybe you mean the Indigenous Aboriginal people , who some like to believe were a such a peaceful loving people they never knew how to make war.
Whether you like it or not, they are the indigenous peoples of Australia. Doesn't matter if they were peaceful hippies or savage apes. An ace is an ace and a spade's a spade.

Quote:
Once again fact check just who were the real stolen people ( on record that is )
Maybe the children of Britain that were shipped out to Australia and Canada ?
The there's the forced adoptions of single mothers until recently.
You're as bad that regressive liberal who thinks only black people experience racism and whites are the devils.

Yes, the children of Britain were stolen too. But so were the Aboriginals. Your rather biased ideas wouldn't change the historical facts.

Quote:
As for the Aboriginal 'Stolen Children' they were the half cast off spring that were taken into custody for their own safety from tribal violence that was being perpetuated to them that were not full blood.
( apart from the fact that no Legal Entity can find a REAL Account of one "stolen" child ( that mean's one that was actually ''taken'' and not surrendered because of perceived violence / neglect etc against the child
Doesn't mean there were no stolen children, snatched from their dear parents who loved them.

You are obviously extremely biased and, dare I say, a passive racist. You're that victim-playing, social justice warrior, except you come of the right wing.

Look bub, both whites and blacks had it hard in history. You have to deal with it. Both sides should regard this fact.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 AM

269 posts, read 199,498 times
Tbh I was a little disappointed when NZ didn't end up changing their flag. Why should we have have the Union Jack on it?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Why do you think the vote went against changing the flag?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 AM

269 posts, read 199,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Why do you think the vote went against changing the flag?
I think that the majority of New Zealanders did want a flag change, however I think a lot of people were against it at the time because they thought that's just what the PM wanted and also the 4 options we had were all pretty terrible to choose from.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Our flag should change. We are one of the most richest and prosperous countries in the world. Why should our flag have another country's one? It doesn't do us justice. Not to mention, it's ironic that most of our hardcore Aussie patriots are against the idea, considering that their flag is, well, partially foreign.

Ireland wasn't colonised in the 12th century. Colonisation didn't truly begin until after the reformation in England and Scotland and through plantations of settlers to bring it to Ireland which failed. Also the British flag consists of symbols from three nations, England, Scotland and Ireland therefore the flag is as Irish in symbolic nature as it is English and Scottish. Australia and New Zealand flags consists of the symbols of the realms that made up Britain. To put in bluntly Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales made up the UK who all had full representation in government however possessions like New Zealand and Australia were subjects to those nations (The UK). Irish nationalists always had their own flags throughout their resistance to occupation which later became the current tri colour when Ireland won independance. Australia and New Zealand groups who seek their own flags surely can't be so silly as to compare themselves to Ireland. This nation contributed to the existence of Britain and later the empire, that same nation in defiance of oppression and desire for self determination brought the British Empire as it's most powerful to it's knees and won.

Nation's that are forced to fight for their independance are more fiercely patriotic and the US would be a good example of this. Australia and New Zealand don't have that fire however as they never had any hostilities with Britain and therefore thankfully don't have anything to be bitter about in pursuit of their own identity that is independent of the first colonists. I look at kiwis as so strange how they live so far away yet hold an attachment to the UK, they look at their British colonial history with pride and see themselves as a once loyal subject to the British Empire and being a remnant of that Empire who try their best in their respect of British imperialism to keep many of its cultural traditions alive. This is one of the reasons why they didn't want to have a new flag, because they wanted to keep the same flag their country men and women fought and died for, this is small mindedness, most European flags that exist today are merely centuries old. Flags change with time to represent the changes that form a nation, a monarchy to a republic would be a good example. Of course if you come from the likes of Australia and New Zealand you would have little reason to ever be hostile to its history of Brirish colonialism so I just have to remember that and be more understanding

Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

If you going to use India, Nigeria, PNG or South Africa as examples of countries that have "grown up", then the status quo looks even better.

That poster looks like it was designed by an 8 year old.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I think it is true that there is little hostility here to the history of British colonialism except among the Indigenous population. Also, one ongoing link we do have is that many of our young people spend a few years living and working in the UK, which results in even less hostility. My own daughters have a heritage which includes Italian,German French Irish Scottish and English. They worked in London as they could gets visas, they speak the language and they wanted to travel extensively in Europe. I have never heard them discuss the flag issue, I must ask them what they think out of interest but it certainly is not a big issue.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the flag referendum result had nothing to do with standing on two feet, and very little to do with identity.

For me, i choose to keep the current flag, because the whole referendum, was really not something the was indicative of a mood of change, but just the personnel agenda of a PM who wanted to earn himself a footnote in history.

Could you explain how NZ being under the umbrella of British influence, manifests itself?.
This is pretty much what happened with the Australian Republic Referendum, which was deliberately made unpalatable by the then PM, John Howard.
Trying to get change through is difficult in any referendum.
ON the OP, I am all for the flag being changed, but due to indifference, it may not happen in my lifetime, or even my children's (who are young adults) lifetimes.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 12,406 times
Doesn't mean there were no stolen children, snatched from their dear parents who loved them.

You are obviously extremely biased and, dare I say, a passive racist. You're that victim-playing, social justice warrior, except you come of the right wing.

Look bub,.[/quote]

I hope you mean the ''BUB'' in a nice non aggressive manner
I look at your line
both whites and blacks had it hard in history. You have to deal with it. Both sides should regard this fact
and do realise that by today's standards of "safe Places" for 20 Y/o children etc that there was a completely different attitude to life / living then as to now.
So by calling me a "passive racist " your trying to use the modern idiom of putting me down to the ''redneck " species and then assuming the superior attitude .

Mann take a deep look at your own attitudes and calling of a spade a spade and assume that you also have the same attitude as I do . just that we disagree with how it's written.

There's nothing worse than a ''weekend - online- warrior'' that has a sneering contempt for the very same system that supports them, and has brought them up to today's play on ideals and ''isms''

Please take NOTE :-

When I say Indigenous I meant "The people who are born in That ( which ever ) Country.
That means White and Black

Take it from me matey that not all of us like the separation by whiteys and will resist the modern apartheid as long as we draw breath

xxz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand