Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I see your comprehension still fails you.
Don’t fear, everyone else understands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Don’t fear, everyone else understands.
Now there is something a tad scary. To just what do you think everybody understands?

Old 07-18-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Now there is something a tad scary. To just what do you think everybody understands?
Everybody else understands what was written.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Everybody else understands what was written.
Never knew you were some sort of Messiah in knowing what everybody else understands. Now that's some claim that I would appreciate something with a little further information on, in order to give credit justly due on having such profound knowledge into the minds of others using this forum.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Because there is no need to shed ties to the UK. There never has been. Why should there be? It's not broken, why change it? I'm sure Australians aren't ashamed of Australia being an independent, sovereign, constitutional monarchy in its own right. What is there to be ashamed of? Why do some people think that all monarchies are bad and that a republic is the be all to end all and the only acceptable way to go? It isn't. It's so silly and poorly educated and misinformed to think that way.
I'm not aware of any republicans feeling "ashamed" of Australia being an independent, sovereign, constitutional monarchy in its own right. I think you miss the point. Republicans see it as move towards a maturity of our nation that we become more fully independent from the anachronistic constitutional ties with Britain.
As a member of the Australian Republican Movement I have never read of heard anyone ever say that all monarchies are bad and that a republic is the be all to end all. I think this an over simplification of the issues and an inflated and particularly biased belief in your head that republicans feel this way. To suggest poorly educated and misinformed to think that way is an insult to many educated and informed people who believe Australia should become a republic. Would you suggest our previous Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull is uneducated and misinformed?
The following well known(in Australia) people who pursue the notion of Australia becoming a republic are also fairly we'll educated and informed
Hugh Jackman
Tom Keneally AO
Geoffrey Dutton AO
Prof Donald Horne AO
Jenny Kee
Dr Franco Belgiorno-Nettis CBE AM
The Hon Franca Arena MLC
Faith Bandler AM
Mark Day
Geraldine Doogue
Colin Lanceley AO
Harry Seidler AC OBE
David Williamson AO
The Hon Neville Wran AC QC

https://www.republic.org.au/faq

I do not believe there will be any referendum for a republic while Queen Elizabeth is still alive.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,604,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirdan52 View Post
https://www.republic.org.au/faq

I do not believe there will be any referendum for a republic while Queen Elizabeth is still alive.
Spot on. But it will change when she is gone. Even laggardly New Zealand might wake up then.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Spot on. But it will change when she is gone. Even laggardly New Zealand might wake up then.
What difference do you think it will practically make to NZ?

Old 07-20-2019, 03:17 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
The Commonwealth is a symbol, nothing more, except for the cocktails at Commonwealth gatherings.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The Commonwealth is a symbol, nothing more, except for the cocktails at Commonwealth gatherings.
A symbol of what? Britain's decline?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 AM

The Commonwealth is a pleasant enough talk fest when they meet, what is bi-annually? I like it for what it is but surely no one has any expectations of this organisation to influence much but does give a voice to a host of small nations whose voice would probably not be heard at other forums . Just the geographic spread alone is impressive . Perhaps more could be done in cultural expansion of the grouping? I don't see it as having much of a political influence/inspired forum at least in a global context exerting influence outside the body though. While some see it as a relic of history, which is to a degree , still rather unique in todays world of big players and powerful trading blocks and groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand