Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 02:10 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times

Advertisements

Well last night I persuaded our rather cautious friends to go ahead with our south coast golfing break in a couple of weeks time. And persuaded (or perhaps informed!!) DH that we should add a night to the trip.
Our friends are paranoid about the air quality but if it is smoky they can sit in the aircon at the club and drink!!

I know that places like the Kimberley can be very expensive but we are paying $105 a night for accommodation down the coast. The golf and the food at the club are cheaper than Sydney. All much cheaper than we had to pay in Utah eighteen months ago. Much much cheaper than what we are paying in East Africa later in the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 04:37 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
$105 a night is indeed cheap for Australia. Going to Iceland in July and have found it to be exceptionally pricy. Same applies for Canada although cheaper than Iceland. Found Dorset (UK) air b&b to be great value though especially for high season and a hotel in London not too bad surprisingly.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
What impact do you think the fires would have on a vacation this year? Would you be planning on visiting relatively remote national parks and other sparsely populated locations off the usual tourist routes?
My family loves wildlife, especially all the wonderfully unique species you have down under. We also like to hike, kayak and other outdoor adventurous things which I believe would entail some remote areas.
For example when we took an Alaskan cruise last year (in lieu of going back to Ireland), we went up to a glacier, did dog sledding, panned for gold, visited a remote wildlife center, etc.
Here is a video I found that shows some of the animals, and I highly recommend anyone visiting Alaska to go to this wonderful place;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqUetUtcAc

So while we would certainly be hitting the tourist traps and big cities, we wouldn't want to miss anything that was on our list.

BTW - We were not planning on going this year. I was just giving a perspective from a tourists view that the OP requested.

`

Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I booked a trip to Perth, Melbourne, and Sydney in February a long time ago and I have no intention of changing my plans. I will be there next week. It looks like the fires have quieted a bit for the moment and i don't expect any major city in Australian to burn.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:58 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Excellent, hope you have a great time.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Australia is a dream vacation for my family, as it has been on our list for years.

The main deterrent has been that it is so far away, and we want to see and explore so much of the vast country, we would really need 3+ weeks to get everything in.
Granted we have visited places like Ireland and Hawaii several times, but staying a maximum of typically 10 days.
Thus there is enough of a deterrent already baked in to an AU trip.

With so much chaos occurring with the fires, and considering all the traveling we would want to do around the country, it would in fact cause us not to come now if we had originally decided to this year.

`
While Australia is only slightly smaller than the lower 48, it has less to offer, therefore you could see a good amount of it within a month.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:07 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Excellent, hope you have a great time.
Thanks much! I always do and often return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand