Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 11:24 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

I have a dim, distant memory of two friends and I having spent a 24-hour stop-over in Bourke back circa 1970. I really can't remember much about the town itself but I do recall watching a movie (1961's Angel Baby starring George Hamilton and Salome Jens) shown in a beautiful garden setting. People either sat on the grass or on benches or folding chairs. It was such an enjoyable evening. I've often wondered if that outdoor movie theater still exists though I doubt that, 50 years later, it still would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 06:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I have a dim, distant memory of two friends and I having spent a 24-hour stop-over in Bourke back circa 1970. I really can't remember much about the town itself but I do recall watching a movie (1961's Angel Baby starring George Hamilton and Salome Jens) shown in a beautiful garden setting. People either sat on the grass or on benches or folding chairs. It was such an enjoyable evening. I've often wondered if that outdoor movie theater still exists though I doubt that, 50 years later, it still would.
I've never heard of it but pretty safe to say it doesn't exist. One place that comes to mind is Broome in WA .
The outdoor Sun Cinema still exits, being the oldest in the world from memory and fantastic place to view a flic on a barmy Kimberley night.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:08 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Malaysia looks pretty good deneb78.
I liked the east coast, facing the South China Sea, went there a couple of years ago.
Have never been to Bourke, but to other outback spots like Broken Hill etc.
Good for a visit, but the heat and isolation would become too much after a while.
On the original topic, the Ice and drug problem is pretty big around here too, in Newcastle and the Hunter.
We have our share of Bogans, and even had the national Mullet competition in Kurri Kurri a couple of weeks ago.
Check this out:

https://www.mulletfest.com.au/
The East Coast of Malaysia is indeed attractive to visit but not the easiest part of the country to live. It would unlikely be an easy retirement option.
There is not the cultural diversity attainable on the West Coast. Besides the difficulty in purchasing property in many areas, as Malay titled land, (for those that wish to purchase) Hence there is far less diverse range of foods available. Malay language, while not maybe essential, would be highly desirable to have on that side.

Isolation would certainly be an issue in Outback Australia. Not for the faint hearted I would suggest. Small town Australia, at least in my experience can be somewhat cliquey and possibly not enough diversity in thinking or pursuits for a number of people. One needs to 'fit in'. This could result the need for 'a personality' change of sorts in order to fit. I'd suggest could be very lonely for any number of folk.

Meth Ice problem I cannot see a solution. It is massive and I suspect growing fast in Australia. Too many people in position feeding from the tit of the drug industry. Easy money. Limited risk. Hardly worth the consequences either, of exposing wrong doing, as sentences are far too lenient for 'home production' (which is massive)

Bogans? Pretty much the national stereotype isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand