Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 02:18 AM

6,016 posts, read 5,934,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No, I just don't see its relevance. I did 3 years of Latin in high school, I'm well aware of conjugations.
Quite. I guess you must wonder at times just how different things could have turned out? I mean having an awareness of conjugations at all. I suspect your average Bogan/Bruce would be arranging a doctors appointment to check whether it is something terminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 AM

12,945 posts, read 13,320,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well Austria is short hand for Australia according to some. No doubt some on the Australia Forum, are likely just as confused about that.

I suppose a little akin to one saying when is Texas being returned to Chile, both having near identical flags for one thing.
There are some Texans who have flown the wrong flag. They’re not confused, just dumb. Lol

Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,492,438 times
Quote:
Under the circumstances I'm not surprised that you are unable to fathom to what one may term an expected standard . Hence the confusion and odd assertions . Nothing rest in the way of a few sobering days won't repair, I expect.
Troubes, my father in law was an alcoholic, and soju was his choice of drink. It was the cycle of abuse and his eventual death that lead to my wife migrating to Australia. I have had many teary conversations with my wife about this and there will be many more to come.

Now if you wish to adhere to any kind of standard, I would suggest you start thinking that maybe hurling out generalized abuse, may affect different people in different ways.

If you are anywhere near as well traveled and culturally sensitive as you claim to be, you would know this.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Troubes, my father in law was an alcoholic, and soju was his choice of drink. It was the cycle of abuse and his eventual death that lead to my wife migrating to Australia. I have had many teary conversations with my wife about this and there will be many more to come.

Now if you wish to adhere to any kind of standard, I would suggest you start thinking that maybe hurling out generalized abuse, may affect different people in different ways.

If you are anywhere near as well traveled and culturally sensitive as you claim to be, you would know this.
All the more reason to abstain from over indulgence. But really a little along the lines of suggesting refraining from any type of abuse, be it drug or smoking, then being told a family member is no longer with us due to alcohol/nicotine/ meth ice/and so on abuse.

As for Koreans, I have for years rented out places to mostly that nationality. I know the culture rather well, having had a Korean girlfriend in Europe, been to many a Korean party, knew the owner that set up the first Korean Restaurant in London and hence know the food and drink.

Now it's a forum. I get raked before the coals on a regular basis. If I was so thin skinned I would reframe from comment. It is hardly character assassination lines I peddle. I trust you will take on board the vein my posts are indeed intended. Don't be such a black and white ( taking yourself way over serious) type of fellow.

If I have offended/insulted/otherwise abused you please accept a thousand humble apologies.
If on the other hand I have failed to do so adequately please stay tuned I will endeavour to fulfill
the task to ensure you do not leave the forum with feelings of being forgotten, over looked, no matter how mundane a post, but censored when the need requires, but mainly pointing out a few alternative ways various subject matter can be looked at.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
All the more reason to abstain from over indulgence. But really a little along the lines of suggesting refraining from any type of abuse, be it drug or smoking, then being told a family member is no longer with us due to alcohol/nicotine/ meth ice/and so on abuse.

As for Koreans, I have for years rented out places to mostly that nationality. I know the culture rather well, having had a Korean girlfriend in Europe, been to many a Korean party, knew the owner that set up the first Korean Restaurant in London and hence know the food and drink.

Now it's a forum. I get raked before the coals on a regular basis. If I was so thin skinned I would reframe from comment. It is hardly character assassination lines I peddle. I trust you will take on board the vein my posts are indeed intended. Don't be such a black and white ( taking yourself way over serious) type of fellow.

If I have offended/insulted/otherwise abused you please accept a thousand humble apologies.
If on the other hand I have failed to do so adequately please stay tuned I will endeavour to fulfill
the task to ensure you do not leave the forum with feelings of being forgotten, over looked, no matter how mundane a post, but censored when the need requires, but mainly pointing out a few alternative ways various subject matter can be looked at.
Well its nice to hear a human side to your character. I am not easily rattled myself, I have been posting on this forum for almost 12 years, and of course you get it all the time Its the nature of the beast that is social media.

You can call me racist/bogan/stupid or whatever you like, its just that particular one cut deep,

Old 05-28-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well its nice to hear a human side to your character. I am not easily rattled myself, I have been posting on this forum for almost 12 years, and of course you get it all the time Its the nature of the beast that is social media.

You can call me racist/bogan/stupid or whatever you like, its just that particular one cut deep,
I wouldn't dream to call you out on any of the above. But here's the deal. I'll call you Shirley your preferred name, but leave the cross dressing lifestyle to your own discretion as to whether to reveal or on a public forum or not.
Are you really called some/all of the above?? Seems twelve years on this forum has certainly enticed some probably uncalled for reactions.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't dream to call you out on any of the above. But here's the deal. I'll call you Shirley your preferred name, but leave the cross dressing lifestyle to your own discretion as to whether to reveal or on a public forum or not.
Are you really called some/all of the above?? Seems twelve years on this forum has certainly enticed some probably uncalled for reactions.
I prefer Zoe, myself, its far more modern.

The Racist/Bogan/stupid comment is far more a figure of speech than anything , to say i generally don't really care what anyone says, thought if went through 4000 odd posts i would find them . The chances are the comment would be censored and deleted, and the offending poster banned.

As far i am concerned it was your reaction that was completely uncalled for, and I will leave it at that.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM

4,202 posts, read 4,880,646 times
Quote:
No you become informed. Put it down to a community service. Australia was the most similar in country terms in attitude to South Africa as likely to find.(changes arrived in the eighties) Sorry if bewildering to you but then I guess life must be a constant state of amazement to you. (pronouns in place) Don't tie yourself up in knots attempting a rebuke.
I owe you an apology. I should not have dismissed out of hand what you said. While I don't think the east coast was littered with the sort of apartheid style racism you discuss, I found this video of Lang Hancock openly discussing genocide of "half-caste" aboriginals in 1984 by poisoning the water which certainly makes your point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaR...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-19-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I owe you an apology. I should not have dismissed out of hand what you said. While I don't think the east coast was littered with the sort of apartheid style racism you discuss, I found this video of Lang Hancock openly discussing genocide of "half-caste" aboriginals in 1984 by poisoning the water which certainly makes your point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaR...ature=youtu.be
Apology accepted. I'll put it down to feckless youth then, even if out of that category in personal demographic terms. Having lived in RSA in my youth during apartheid times, I saw a clear similarity at least in mentality with majority population views on race compared to Australia.

It should be recalled that Aboriginals lived on reservations, in WA at any rate. They were banned from pubs. living an apartheid like existence.
Racism was a factor of live for Aboriginal folk and anyone of colour. The 80's Hancock speech was well known, but had slipped my mind, but the mind set then would most definitely have induced quite a few nods in agreement.

I suppose it takes one to have really been on the ground at the time to experience just how racist and unworldly Australians tended to be.
I can still recall travelling in the rural areas of WA in the eighties when visiting and the feeling of amazement at witnessing separate bars usually around the back 'for blacks'.

It was worse than RSA in some ways, as there where I lived in Cape Town, all young people in my circle were very switched on politically and very cool in attitude subverted the system were possible. In Australia, it was more a case of apathy, barely a political thought detectable, where racist talk was barely given a second thought. Not entirely in reference to the Aboriginal population but anyone 'of colour' in general (though few 'others' resided in Australia at the time) but equally dished out to Europeans as well in considerably crude terms.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:48 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,304,804 times
British sentiment in Britain is waning nevermind Australia, i would say US politics and entertainment is more relevant to people in the UK and Australia than their own. Just look at recent events as proof. The west has become heavily Americanised since the end of WW2. This has largely been due to it's cultural achievements that have captured the admiration of the world.

So many people in the west like to poke fun at the US at times but funnily enough we are surrounded by it's influence throughout our lives thus it has shaped who we are and even our culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand