Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 04:15 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Yes, true. If it is not very effective tourists from countries with low vaccination rates will not be very welcome.
Yeah. As I understand it, the vaccines in development will not be silver bullets in that the vaccinated will still be able to get infected by Cov2 but they won't develop Covid. So they will still be able to spread the virus. Have you seen the movie Contagion? In that movie they use a nasal spray as a vaccine. Turns out that if you want someone to avoid becoming infected with a virus that enters through the nose, mouth and eyes you usually need the vaccine to stimulate the response there, whereas injecting it in the body will cause antibodies to be produced deeper within the body. So it will stop the terrible symptoms of those who get the disease but it won't prevent people being infected. The polio vaccine worked in the same manner.

Quote:
The truth is no one knows what is going to happen moving forward. So hard for anything to be planned.
Ain't that the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
I would expect that if and when there is a vaccine, travellers entering the country will need evidence of having been vaccinated or proper medical evidence allowing an exemption. As is the case now with yellow fever if having been to various countries. And was the case not too many years ago for smallpox.

Otherwise the flights will probably resume with expanded numbers being allowed to enter, with self-paid quarantine.

Covid has not spread to all parts of Australia and New Zealand. At the moment it is very serious in Victoria and the 19 community cases in NSW and one in Qld announced today are causing great anxiety. Geographically the majority of the country is Covid free but of course mostly sparsely populated.

I would be thinking about 2022 before tourism ramps up again. The first travellers to be allowed in will be international students and possibly some legal immigrants.

The vaccine will likely be partly effective, not 100%, the virus has already mutated into hundreds of strains, so the ship has already sailed on that.

In the end it will be more likely reality will have to set in that this is part of the human condition going forward, much like the flu and other corona viruses and people will have to move on to the next drama and hysteria.

I will not be traveling to quarantine for two weeks or any nonsense like that, so I will wait until things return to normal, whether 2021, 2022, 2023 or 2030. Right now the world is highly emotional and irrational, so it's not worth it to me to travel in such circumstances.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yeah. As I understand it, the vaccines in development will not be silver bullets in that the vaccinated will still be able to get infected by Cov2 but they won't develop Covid. So they will still be able to spread the virus. Have you seen the movie Contagion? In that movie they use a nasal spray as a vaccine. Turns out that if you want someone to avoid becoming infected with a virus that enters through the nose, mouth and eyes you usually need the vaccine to stimulate the response there, whereas injecting it in the body will cause antibodies to be produced deeper within the body. So it will stop the terrible symptoms of those who get the disease but it won't prevent people being infected. The polio vaccine worked in the same manner.

The other possibility is that as the virus mutates it will weaken and here in the USA we are already seeing that with lots of cases but reduced hospitalization rates. Doctors in my state are saying the vast majority of people can be sent home and medicated compared to a few months ago when more people were dying or needing hospitalization. Other corona viruses ended up being known as the common cold.

I think if people are expecting a vaccine to be a 100% magic shot, they will be disappointed.

I'm in no hurry to travel, but I am planning my next trip to Australia.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The other possibility is that as the virus mutates it will weaken and here in the USA we are already seeing that with lots of cases but reduced hospitalization rates. Doctors in my state are saying the vast majority of people can be sent home and medicated compared to a few months ago when more people were dying or needing hospitalization. Other corona viruses ended up being known as the common cold.
Yes, over time the virus will probably weaken as a survival mechanism. Unlikely it has happened yet to any real degree that changes its infectiousness or pathology.

Occam's Razor says it's who is getting infected rather than virus mutation that is driving the death and hospitalisation rate.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:16 AM

317 posts, read 527,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It will be interesting to see how long Australia and NZ keep their borders shut. Qantas last I looked was going to resume international flights in March 2021 but I think it may be longer than that.

Covid has spread everywhere so vaccine or no vaccine it's going to be part of the human condition permanently going forward, just as other coronaviruses are.

I've been planning my next trip every evening with the latest updated Australia road atlas I could get. As I go through page by page it triggers my memory and I've been writing down "things to do" and "places to see".
Alot better than America eh

Old 12-12-2020, 12:59 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Our border closure has been extended until the end of March. Sources we have in Qantas are thinking it will be late next year before they fly internationally.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Australia is going to be swamped with international tourists in 2022 because of so much pent up demand.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Our border closure has been extended until the end of March. Sources we have in Qantas are thinking it will be late next year before they fly internationally.
HAsn't the government been saying the border will be closed until the end of 2021 for some time? I just work on the assumption once everyone in Australia is vaccinated the border will reopen. It's also probably unlikely you will be able to travel to Australia without being vaccinated.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
HAsn't the government been saying the border will be closed until the end of 2021 for some time? I just work on the assumption once everyone in Australia is vaccinated the border will reopen. It's also probably unlikely you will be able to travel to Australia without being vaccinated.
I think they extended the state of emergency until the end of March, which enables them to basically close the borders. I imagine it will be extended again after that.

I suppose it will depend on the uptake of the vaccines here. They will probably make non residents be vaccinated. I wonder though whether they can prevent Australians from returning if they are not vaccinated? I suppose they will give them the option of vaccination or quarantine.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I wonder though whether they can prevent Australians from returning if they are not vaccinated? I suppose they will give them the option of vaccination or quarantine.
You'd have to assume they would, if the vaccine program is voluntary. Probably like you say, 14 days in quarantine or a shot. On the other hand, I can see many airlines, at least initially, following Qantas' rule of no shot no fly.

I think right now, testing in quarantine is not mandatory but carries an extra 10 days in quarantine if a person refuses.

ETA: On checking, NSW Health actually call it 24 days of quarantine but you can be released on day 14 if you get tested on day 10. Weird.

Last edited by BCC_1; 12-13-2020 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand