Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 08:56 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
The flip side with British and Irish homes, apart from how tiny they are, is the lack of air-conditioning, ventilation and things like insect screens. I wouldn't want to live in one during a hot summer.
Very Hot summers are a rare occurrence for these two countries so we never had to worry lol. Australian houses experience the cold much more than Irish and British homes experience too much heat in their homes. Have any of you guys lived in Ireland/UK during the summer? It's very rare for homes to get that hot without heating

Trust me housing in this part of the world is of a much worse standard due to many of them barely being able to deal with the heat or the cold. Only modern builds are seeing ducted air-con built in as standard compared to Northern European homes which have seen central heating for decades.

Last edited by Paddy234; 07-19-2022 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Most post mid 1990s builds in NSW or Victoria are pretty comfortable, but each state has its own building code so WA may be very different.
WA doesn't even have double glazing as standard. In Northern Europe many are now going for triple glazing. Save so much on power bills

Old 07-19-2022, 09:06 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Very Hot summers are a rare occurrence for these two countries so we never had to worry lol. Australian houses experience the cold much more than Irish and British homes experience the heat in their homes. Have any of you guys lived in Ireland/UK during the summer?
Yes. Six of them. The hottest I have ever been in a home was in London.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yes. Six of them. The hottest I have ever been in a home was in London.
Then you will know homes in summer are much worse here due to poor insulation and single glazing meaning outside temperatures are able to Penetrate homes much easier than the Ireland/UK and are much colder in winter for the same reason

Old 07-19-2022, 09:24 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
Ah well, we just have to put up with it at this stage. The cost of double glazing existing homes is prohibitive and now with the shortage of labour and materials in the Eastern states, at any rate, you cannot even get essential repairs done without a struggle.

As I said to my daughter when she was sitting in front of a strip radiator in swimming gear, put on some more clothes!

I had six layers of clothes and covers last night and I was nice and warm.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Then you will know homes in summer are much worse here due to poor insulation and single glazing meaning outside temperatures are able to Penetrate homes much easier than the Ireland/UK and are much colder in winter for the same reason
That's not my experience, but like I said way back in post 2 of this thread, if you're buying a house and land package on the urban fringe then you're going to get a bare bones house. We run the a/c a couple of times a year in summer, although last summer because of the humidity we had it on at night a far bit. You can't keep humidity out of a house though. I don't think a/c is required.

In the winter we probably run the heat 50% of the time during the evening in July and August then it's basically off. I just don't see the pressing need for central heating or double glazing except in southern parts of the mainland and Tasmania. It's a large upfront cost for a problem that doesn't really exist.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
That's not my experience, but like I said way back in post 2 of this thread, if you're buying a house and land package on the urban fringe then you're going to get a bare bones house. We run the a/c a couple of times a year in summer, although last summer because of the humidity we had it on at night a far bit. You can't keep humidity out of a house though. In the winter we probably run the heat 50% of the time during the evening in July and August then it's basically off. I just don't see the pressing need for central heating or double glazing except in southern parts of the mainland and Tasmania. It's a large upfront cost for a problem that doesn't really exist.
When energy prices continue it will be called for. My parents are about to buy heating oil for the winter. It is due to cost them £370 Which is over $600 and that won't do all winter and that doesn't include electric. With power costs rising here people will start to demand that homes are built to deal with the heat and cold better and increase efficiency. Australia has always been very lucky in this regard. Similar to fuel prices which is why so many used to drive out with such big engines.

With prices rising many are trying to find ways to save money

Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Ah well, we just have to put up with it at this stage. The cost of double glazing existing homes is prohibitive and now with the shortage of labour and materials in the Eastern states, at any rate, you cannot even get essential repairs done without a struggle.

As I said to my daughter when she was sitting in front of a strip radiator in swimming gear, put on some more clothes!

Would you ever get reverse cycle air-conditioning as this also heats. It's essentially climate control

Old 07-19-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
When energy prices continue it will be called for. My parents are about to buy heating oil for the winter. It is due to cost them £370 Which is over $600 and that won't do all winter and that doesn't include electric. With power costs rising here people will start to demand that homes are built to deal with the heat and cold better and increase efficiency. Australia has always been very lucky in this regard. Similar to fuel prices which is why so many used to drive out with such big engines.

With prices rising many are trying to find ways to save money
The price spike in energy will be over in a year or so. That's how commodities work.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

Why not just crank the a/c if you were that cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand