Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 PM

570 posts, read 508,174 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recommendations. What about Byron Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 08:00 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Thank you! Noted. When does the stingers season begin? I plan to live from somewhere else from end of August until December.
Starts in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia
Byron is expensive.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:20 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Doesn't meet your population requirement.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:37 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
I doubt there is much in the way of public transport in Byron either.

Suppose you could try somewhere near the light rail stations on the gold coast, which would make easy PT access to the beach, as well as Brisbane, if you want to go up for anything.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Hi Aussies,

I am at the moment living in Sydney but since covid I have been working remotely, so there’s no point for me staying in the “big smoke†paying for high prices in rent and services when I can be somewhere else. What is the best beach town in Australia to live temporary? My criteria
-warm weather (after end of August)
-close to the beach
-availability of some shops (coles/woolies) and some bars
- any public transport available?
- open to other nationalities (in other words, not prone to experience racism)

I am thinking about Port Douglas or even Cairns. Any other recommendation? Adelaide seems like a good place but is it too cold around September (compared to Sydney)? A really tropical town would be nice that’s my fave type of weather
I just noticed that you say there is no point in paying high prices for services. As well as rent.

Be very careful because services are very often more expensive out of the major cities. I usually find Sydney cheaper for a whole range of things and the same price for most everything else.

You can pay $5 for a coffee in many places in Queensland whereas I generally pay $3.50. Same with restaurant food. Insurance, water, rates can all be more expensive.

Hard to check it all out right now. Currently we in NSW cannot visit Victoria, Tassie WA SA and many cannot visit Queensland. We were heading north next week but it was off cancelled yesterday when Fairfield got added to the Qld hotspot list. We live nowhere near Fairfield but DH plays golf there. So that is the end of that trip!

Another issue is the prevalence of racism. Queensland has a dubious reputation in that respect but I hope it is not deserved.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:46 AM

239 posts, read 158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
You can pay $5 for a coffee in many places in Queensland whereas I generally pay $3.50
The $5 price is the tourist price, paid for by visitors, whereas I, as a local in Queensland, only pay $3.50 because I avoid the tourist traps. Unfortunately when I visit Sydney, usually I get caught by their tourist traps, typically $5, because I don't know where to avoid. I expect this is the general situation for visitors and locals everywhere.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:36 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
The $5 price is the tourist price, paid for by visitors, whereas I, as a local in Queensland, only pay $3.50 because I avoid the tourist traps. Unfortunately when I visit Sydney, usually I get caught by their tourist traps, typically $5, because I don't know where to avoid. I expect this is the general situation for visitors and locals everywhere.
Depends where you are i suppose, $4 to $4.50 is the standard price for a 12oz take away in Brisbane. At least in the city and inner south where i live.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 AM

6,040 posts, read 5,950,347 times
$4 to $4.50 pretty much the norm as well in Perth. Some establishments try $5 and people (not tourists seem to pay) Outrageous of course, but the burghers of Perth are well used to paying over the top prices.

I haven't detected it being cheaper in the country either. No idea in further flung suburbia, but choice is limited and would doubt anything would be under $4.

As for beach towns, Cairns does have a bus service if limited. That city attracts a lot of folk from The South, down on their luck, with little means escaping the colder weather. Some stay on in the numerous lodging houses, that existed, at least when I lived there which was quite some years ago.

I don't think anywhere could be called cheap in Australia. Nowhere anyone would probably want to live a time anyway.
Being near a beach, can cut costs, if one likes that beach life.

Never been to Byron Bay, but it is well established among the surfer, international back packer scene and modern days hippies. They somehow seem to manage the expense of living there.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
$3.50 for my first coffee this morning in the suburbs. $3.50 for my afternoon coffee at Bondi Junction.
BIL worked in Perth for a while. Thought it was much more expensive than Sydney for most things.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
$3.50 for my first coffee this morning in the suburbs. $3.50 for my afternoon coffee at Bondi Junction.
BIL worked in Perth for a while. Thought it was much more expensive than Sydney for most things.
Indeed. The mining 'boom' did WA few favours. Prior to about 2003 it (Perth) was better value than Sydney, but remove outrageous housing costs, which thanks to the Howard/Costello govt of the late 90's kicked it off, Sydney is better value for most other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand