Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:25 AM

569 posts, read 507,333 times

Advertisements

Sydney has a beautiful harbour, beaches, landmarks. It is such a beautiful city. If Sydney is not the most beautiful main city in Australia/NZ, which one is for you?
Melbourne?Brisbane? Perth? Adelaide? Auckland? Wellington? Gold Coast? I think the rest of the cities are too small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times
I would offer Cairns, Au, and Wellington, NZ as competition.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:45 AM

162 posts, read 149,173 times
I will second Wellington as a competitor.

Melbourne is a great city, but its natural setting does not compete with Sydney. I think Adelaide is one of the more underrated cities in the developed world, but nothing immediately around the city center that wows you outside of a great park system. Auckland has a nice harbor, but Sydney beats it many times over because the beaches are better. Perth has amazing beaches, but the scenery is so-so.

Wellington has a nice harbor and very nice scenery with great views throughout the many compact neighborhoods.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:52 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
A bit small perhaps, but they call themselves a city, (although doesn't fit to criteria of being a main city, hence taking a bit of poetic license in bringing it to attention) with what is termed as the second best natural harbour in the world, surrounded by fine beaches, thriving tourist industry , a rugged West Coast Ireland or Cornish type coast line, with 'moody' weather, self termed Rainbow Coast.

There is an increasing variety of quality dining facilities and very good wine is produced with in the area.

It is the historical capital of Western Australia and the original settlement in that state. Sadly a number of the old buildings of the past have been long demolished, but an historical sense of place remains.

In all honesty this city should have double or more the population of some 37,000 that now call it home.

Besides having an ideal natural harbour, visible at the bottom of the main street, it has majestic views over looking The Sound and the Southern Ocean.

Not a major city but worthy of mention, as don't find a lot of difference between Perth and Adelaide and I suspect Brisbane (without ever being there) Melbourne, has a vibe but hardly very attractive in many measurements.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A bit small perhaps, but they call themselves a city, (although doesn't fit to criteria of being a main city, hence taking a bit of poetic license in bringing it to attention) with what is termed as the second best natural harbour in the world, surrounded by fine beaches, thriving tourist industry , a rugged West Coast Ireland or Cornish type coast line, with 'moody' weather, self termed Rainbow Coast.

There is an increasing variety of quality dining facilities and very good wine is produced with in the area.

It is the historical capital of Western Australia and the original settlement in that state. Sadly a number of the old buildings of the past have been long demolished, but an historical sense of place remains.

In all honesty this city should have double or more the population of some 37,000 that now call it home.

Besides having an ideal natural harbour, visible at the bottom of the main street, it has majestic views over looking The Sound and the Southern Ocean.

Not a major city but worthy of mention, as don't find a lot of difference between Perth and Adelaide and I suspect Brisbane (without ever being there) Melbourne, has a vibe but hardly very attractive in many measurements.
Is this a guessing game?

Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I guess Fremantle.

I spent a pleasant week there a couple of years ago but not as scenic as Hobart.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I guess Fremantle.

I spent a pleasant week there a couple of years ago but not as scenic as Hobart.
Rugged West Irish coastline doesn't exactly scream Freo.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Rugged West Irish coastline doesn't exactly scream Freo.
The cornish coastline reference is the give away. We can at least narrow it down to the England of the south. It's somewhere in New Zealand.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Albany would be my guess.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:09 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Oh dear all wrong. Although wasn't a meant to be a test on what has been learnt in class to date during the year (it was a simple error of admission) it is clearly evident they'll need to be extended tuition after hours to bring the class up to something resembling scratch.

Fremantle doesn't strike me as resembling the Irish West Coast . Perhaps shades of a Mediterranean town but far distant from Cornwall as well.

I hadn't noticed New Zealand had been towed to of the West Australian coast either. Must do a check on that one in case I missed something.

I certainly wouldn't mind dropping in on Queenstown and have the South Island vista within easy reach. Even Bay of Islands would do.

I seem to detect writing that it was the historical capital of Western Australia. No scholars of Australian history evidently on this forum.

Convict labour built the rather attractive Town Hall. More than 7% of the population was born in England. It was for a considerable time the only land based whaling station in Australia.

It has something of an English seaside vibe to the place. That and the weather probably responsible for attracting so many UK born.

The name being of course Kincinnup. (as known in the local Nonger language)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand