Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 12:40 AM

148 posts, read 176,427 times

Advertisements

I live in CA so of course we are saturated in Mexican culture and it was Mexican land and we for the most part like what we like about Mexican and Hispanic culture like any other so what is the Mexican community like in AU or NZ?

Knowing that there is not a big community of them, are there any Spanish churches or good Mexican restaurants? I knew a Mexican/South American/Italian-American guy who said he was there years ago to visit Italian Australian relatives and he said the Mexican food there sucked, worse than Taco Bell, but liked everything else about Australia. A guy online from New Zealand said he only met one Mexican in his entire life there, and it was one who was of strictly European descent and may have just been Mexican born and grew up in America and then moved to NZ. I, am not kidding.

I myself am not Hispanic but am around people who are and have had some interest on and off, and I am not planning on going to AU/NZ anytime soon although a second cousin has been there a few times and did a college stint in Australia. So yeah... Mexican Australian culture?

I find the idea of didgeridoo polka mariachi music to be weirdly interesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 12:56 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,529,990 times
Not much in Sydney, as far as I know. I could not even comment on the Mexican food as I do not know enough about to judge. Tacos and the like are popular!

Old 09-29-2020, 01:22 AM

303 posts, read 128,625 times
The Mexican community in Australia is miniscule - according to the most recent census (2016) there are around 4882 Mexican born people in Australia. The Latin American country with the highest number of immigrants is Brazil, with around 27 625, and the highest Hispanic country is Chile with 26 086. The only other communities with over 10 000 immigrants are Colombians, Argentinians and Salvadorans. Considering over one quarter of Australia's population is foreign born and there are quite a few countries (mostly Asian) with immigrants numbering in the hundreds of thousands, the Hispanic population is conspicuously low.

Considering there are so few Mexicans in Australia, the number of Mexican eateries is actually very high, and Mexican food is very popular. The vast majority of those restaurants though are fast food type chain restaurants which are apparently appallingly inauthentic. My understanding is that Mexicans are pretty unimpressed by what passes as Mexican food in Australia. Presumably there are decent Mexican restaurants if you know where to look, but they would be vastly outnumbered by the Mad Mex or Guzman y Gomez type places.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:28 AM

1,228 posts, read 726,581 times
Very small..... having said that I worked with some awesome Mexican guys and gals ( engineers ) at a massive Iron Ore Project ( two projects actually ) in the Western Australian Pilbara region. They loved Australia... we had a couple of other Spanish speaking employees too, so there were some fun nights at the Wet Mess on the Coronas and Tequilas...haha
Even sleepy Darwin has a Mexican and South American Spanish speaking ex-pat population.... very popular food stalls at the Mindal Beach markets.
I know and have worked with some Chilean and Argentinian blokes in Darwin.... and the hottest barmaid ever up at my local Pub was a Peruvian chick.....lol !

Old 09-29-2020, 02:34 AM

148 posts, read 176,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
The Mexican community in Australia is miniscule - according to the most recent census (2016) there are around 4882 Mexican born people in Australia. The Latin American country with the highest number of immigrants is Brazil, with around 27 625, and the highest Hispanic country is Chile with 26 086. The only other communities with over 10 000 immigrants are Colombians, Argentinians and Salvadorans. Considering over one quarter of Australia's population is foreign born and there are quite a few countries (mostly Asian) with immigrants numbering in the hundreds of thousands, the Hispanic population is conspicuously low.

Considering there are so few Mexicans in Australia, the number of Mexican eateries is actually very high, and Mexican food is very popular. The vast majority of those restaurants though are fast food type chain restaurants which are apparently appallingly inauthentic. My understanding is that Mexicans are pretty unimpressed by what passes as Mexican food in Australia. Presumably there are decent Mexican restaurants if you know where to look, but they would be vastly outnumbered by the Mad Mex or Guzman y Gomez type places.
It makes sense the population isn’t high, seeing as it’s far away and it would make sense to move to America. Not many move to Canada for the same reason, but their pop of Mexicans is a bit higher.

Some guy said Taco Bill is pretty popular in Australia and initially I thought he misspelled Taco Bell but it is indeed a chain there.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,003,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Very small..... having said that I worked with some awesome Mexican guys and gals ( engineers ) at a massive Iron Ore Project ( two projects actually ) in the Western Australian Pilbara region. They loved Australia... we had a couple of other Spanish speaking employees too, so there were some fun nights at the Wet Mess on the Coronas and Tequilas...haha
Even sleepy Darwin has a Mexican and South American Spanish speaking ex-pat population.... very popular food stalls at the Mindal Beach markets.
I know and have worked with some Chilean and Argentinian blokes in Darwin.... and the hottest barmaid ever up at my local Pub was a Peruvian chick.....lol !
Were you there for Coyotes Cantina Mexican in Darwin?
They moved from Darwin to the NSW North Coast and had a couple of restaurants here in the 00s, then they moved on again.
The owner was in fact Canadian!
But the point is , not many Mexican restaurants are actually owned by Mexicans in Australia.
As others have noted, there is not a very big Mexican and Hispanic presence in Oz.
They are certainly a very small percentage of migrants here.
We get our local Mexican fix from a chain, Guzman y Gorman, finding Mexican food is not a problem.
They are in most food courts in major shopping centres too. We have one in our centre in East Maitland, plus plenty in Newcastle.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:37 AM

1,228 posts, read 726,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Were you there for Coyotes Cantina Mexican in Darwin?
They moved from Darwin to the NSW North Coast and had a couple of restaurants here in the 00s, then they moved on again.
The owner was in fact Canadian!
But the point is , not many Mexican restaurants are actually owned by Mexicans in Australia.
As others have noted, there is not a very big Mexican and Hispanic presence in Oz.
They are certainly a very small percentage of migrants here.
We get our local Mexican fix from a chain, Guzman y Gorman, finding Mexican food is not a problem.
They are in most food courts in major shopping centres too. We have one in our centre in East Maitland, plus plenty in Newcastle.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,415,626 times
Can you get maseca corn flour in Australia? Is it easy to find?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,858 times
Well there is Mad Mex and it is a Sydney based fast food restaurant chain that only serves Mexican food and it is quite popular here. I wonder what Mexicans think of Mad Mex? Also are Spanish speaking churches in Australia too in the big cities.

The Mexican community is really small in Australia and I have encountered several of them in Australia.

Last edited by herenow1; 09-30-2020 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 05:42 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,507,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Can you get maseca corn flour in Australia? Is it easy to find?
I had to Google it, seems you can get it online or at some international grocery store's in the major cities. Thats about it however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand