Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 AM

415 posts, read 371,208 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have lived in the states for 13 years now, but I am originally from England and although I have enjoyed my time here, I am wanting something different and don't feel like the states is where I want to settle down.

I have been quite keen for Australia and have been doing tons of research but nothing is better than feedback from people who live in and know the area well.

Things I am looking for:

Beaches within an hours drive
Job location doesn't matter (I will be working remotely)
I have always lived in the suburbs and I don't like city living at all, but have usually been within a 30 minute commute of major cities. I like the suburban safe family type feel, although I am a single 31 year old with no kids, so it would be nice to live somewhere with a decent amount of people my age

Things I love to do:

Eating out, crazy golf, concerts, hiking, kayaking, coffee shops, shopping, movie theaters, days at the park. I also have a dog so having somewhere with trails and dog parks would be nice. I love greenery. I don't really have the pleasure of that where I currently live.

I am very much about scenery and love country drives on a Sunday. I am not a drinker so somewhere with a huge bar scene doesn't matter to me.

Lastly, I do not like the cold at all. I have lived in areas that snow and are cold but it isn't my preference, and I don't like places that are gloomy and rain a lot. Where I currently live we get about 10 months a year of beautiful sunshine which is definitely preferable to me.

Also affordability is important. As a single woman I won't have a joint salary, so I don't think buying a house for 800,000 will be an option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 12:30 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Have you ascertained that you are eligible to migrate to Australia?

Old 02-09-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Have you ascertained that you are eligible to migrate to Australia?
Yes.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:44 AM

How much would you be willing (or able) to pay to buy a home? Or in rent? This will make a HUGE difference to your options in terms of where you can live.

Have you been to Australia before? If so, where did you visit?

Old 02-09-2021, 04:56 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Lots of places fit your criteria. Budget will be the big factor.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Lots of places fit your criteria. Budget will be the big factor.
I would have to rent at first as I wouldn't buy right off the bat. To give some comparison I would be able to pay 2k a month in USD, I think that is 2,585.65 AUD per month.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I would have to rent at first as I wouldn't buy right off the bat. To give some comparison I would be able to pay 2k a month in USD, I think that is 2,585.65 AUD per month.
So about $600 per week. Won't get you anything much in and around Sydney suburbs I don't think.

Melbourne is off your list due to weather.

Brisbane would be possible for your criteria and budget.

Adelaide I don't know much about their prices, but as a Qlder, I find their winter pretty cold and the ocean too cold...

Perth would also meet your criteria, but again, I'm not sure on their prices. But it's isolated and they think they are a separate country.

So I reckon its between Brisbane and Perth. Others will have different views no doubt.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Perhaps considering moving to a regional area of Australia away from the big cities. Consider places such as Townsville or Cairns in Queensland or Darwin in the NT.

The Sydney area could be cool too, yet it be better if you lived with a flatmate there.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:38 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I agree with Aussiehoff that Brisbane and Perth are probably where you want to be looking. For that sort of money you will struggle to get much in Sydney that is within 30 minutes of the city centre. At best you'd be looking at 1/2 bedroom apartments, not a house. The only place that might be what you're looking for in Sydney would be the upper North Shore. So suburban it's painful. Not sure how you're budget will go up there, but I imagine you could find something that is reasonable.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:29 PM

I would have been prepared to spend some time looking for areas/places which might suit the OP, except she has a current thread in another C-D forum about a US job interview process she is going through. So it seems a move to Australia isn't imminent (notwithstanding likely Covid restrictions). By the time she arrives (if she's serious about it) rental prices will have changed.

OP - you say you have done tons of research. In a nutshell, which specific areas of Australia rated highly for you in your research?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand