Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 01:00 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times

Advertisements

War with China depends how western leaders will react to it invading Taiwan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 01:23 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
War with China depends how western leaders will react to it invading Taiwan
January 11

China-Taiwan Tensions Rise as Trump Scraps Decades-Old Rules

(Bloomberg) -- China’s state-run media called for retaliation after the Trump administration removed decades-old restrictions on interactions with Taiwan officials just days before President-elect Joe Biden takes office, one of its biggest moves yet to reshape U.S. ties with the Asian democracy.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...cks-definition

South China Morning Post
(singapore)

28 Sep,

Eight months in, Joe Biden’s China policy still lacks definition
  • Lack of clarity around the US-China policy review process has spurred confusion and uncertainty in the business, analyst and military contractor communities
  • Any major difference from Trump administration stance has been hard to discern

So far, there have been few differences between Biden’s approach to China and that of his predecessor.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Australia standing up to the CCP. It's about time. Australia is not "a piece of chewing gum under the shoes of China."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQoqwWJ2PY0

Old 10-02-2021, 05:58 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
I find it telling that Australia simply building the means to defend itself is threatening to China yet China has been blatantly building it's military up for years with little to no opposition. This tells me that China seeing that Australia is gaining the means to defend itself feels threatened because it might not be able to coerce a nation it so economically relies on.

This alone should give cause for concern. Australia needs to become a power that can stand on it's own two feet against China. It needs to multiply it's economy and military in size so as not to be so easily pushed around. This is a good first step but also sad we are in these state of affairs

Old 10-03-2021, 09:11 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I am Australian and you don't speak for me. I don't care less about nuclear subs. I am very unhappy how the Australian government handling of it and stabbed the French deal and now the French government is suing the Australian government. No wonder the French government is very unhappy with Australia. If the Australian government didn't deceive the French government for so long, then maybe the nuclear subs would be a good thing.

BTW China walks over Hong Kong which was a British territory for a long time and Britain can't do much to stop it.
Isn't Morrison a Trump sycophant? It doesn't surprise me.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:06 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,093 times
China sends 77 warplanes into Taiwan defense zone over two days, Taipei says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/asia/...hnk/index.html

Old 10-03-2021, 02:12 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
China sends 77 warplanes into Taiwan defense zone over two days, Taipei says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/asia/...hnk/index.html
I hope they won't actually invade. It would be a mess because Taiwan is a major technology hub the world depends on. The USA has got no respect now. China has been getting more aggressive by the day. Rogue countries now think, because the USA got beaten by the Taliban and has so many problems at home including many new Wuhan virus deaths, they can do anything they want.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Australia has the second largest uranium reserves on the planet and both the scientific knowledge and economic capacity to build nuclear weapons. If it desired nuclear weapons, it would have them.

Seriously, if Pakistan and freakin' North Korea can make them, do you really think Australia can't?
Australia is bound by the Non Proliferation Treaty and with that it is illegal for Australia to develop Nuclear weapons. However Pakistan and North Korea is not part of the Non Proliferation treaty.

If (highly unlikely) that Australia develops nuclear weapons then other countries would follow like Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:00 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Isn't Morrison a Trump sycophant? It doesn't surprise me.
Yes something like that. The Australian government was not so Anti China until Trump got into power.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:37 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I find it telling that Australia simply building the means to defend itself is threatening to China yet China has been blatantly building it's military up for years with little to no opposition. This tells me that China seeing that Australia is gaining the means to defend itself feels threatened because it might not be able to coerce a nation it so economically relies on.

This alone should give cause for concern. Australia needs to become a power that can stand on it's own two feet against China. It needs to multiply it's economy and military in size so as not to be so easily pushed around. This is a good first step but also sad we are in these state of affairs
I think you'll likely find that much of the region is not in favour of Australia acquiring nuclear capacity. Indonesia in particular.
I wonder if six nuclear subs at some far off date will really make China feel 'threatened' or indeed just confirm Australia's minor deputy role under America, within the region?

Over the time frame, it could be assumed China's power on land, air and sea, would have been extensively enhanced by increasing might.
Actually it is Australia relying on China, for it's economic salvation to a far greater extent than the reverse.

While Australia may pose as unfriendly to China through their eyes, unlikely they will feel threatened in the real sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand