Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 09:27 AM

1,651 posts, read 866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Someone just posted this short new video, in which an Australian admits that the US has been trying to drag Australia into war with China for years:

https://t.me/UkraineHumanRightsAbuses/13410
I don't think the U.S wants to drag Australia into a war but wants to make sure that in the event of war the fighting will stay in the pacific theatre far away from American shores. For that it needs Australia. Basically, let them tear up your country and not mine. I do find it hysterical when reporters asked a government official if hosting B-52 bombers in the Northern territory makes the area a target in a future conflict with China. The response " look at the jobs they create."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 07:38 AM

121 posts, read 89,089 times
A couple of observations to restart this thread.

Not directly related to the subs which are years away, but the Aus govt announced the purchase of 200+ cruise missiles in the last week. That is a concern as Aus usually (for the last few decades) only bought training quantities of advanced weapons. Makes me worried about what the govt and intelligence services see as the risks over the next few years.

I read an article that put up some comparisons to the projected cost of $360 billion for the subs. Over the same 30 years, NDIS will cost $2 trilion but neither is huge compared to Aus’s gdp of $55 trillion.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:12 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
We have chatted with a few people over the weekend about all this and most seem to think China is becoming a threat and all this expenditure is needed. We tend to agree with Paul Keating but his view has been rubbished by all and sundry.

I supposed our views are coloured by the fact that we have been to China several times and my sister lived happily there. It felt so safe that it is hard to think of them engaging in military aggression. And if they did, could aggression be stopped by a few submarines, no matter how advanced?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I don't think the U.S wants to drag Australia into a war but wants to make sure that in the event of war the fighting will stay in the pacific theatre far away from American shores. For that it needs Australia. Basically, let them tear up your country and not mine. I do find it hysterical when reporters asked a government official if hosting B-52 bombers in the Northern territory makes the area a target in a future conflict with China. The response " look at the jobs they create."
In my opinion the best thing for Australia would be to buy or develop it's own strategic nuclear missiles.
The greatest defense a nation can have is the assurance of mutual destruction. The same could be done with Taiwan, secretly equip there military with about a dozen medium range ballistic missiles, they then announce there intention to be a free and independent nation forever, fully supported by the western powers.
Yes the chicoms will be extremely ticked off, but the game is essentially over and they will have to get over it.

The Japanese's should do the same.

If nations want to fight, let them do it in the stock markets, and with international trade deals. and not with young men dying on blood covered beaches.

MAD has worked to keep the major world powers from WW3 since the end of WW2, there is no reason it can't stop wars in smaller nations.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
In my opinion the best thing for Australia would be to buy or develop it's own strategic nuclear missiles.
The greatest defense a nation can have is the assurance of mutual destruction. The same could be done with Taiwan, secretly equip there military with about a dozen medium range ballistic missiles, they then announce there intention to be a free and independent nation forever, fully supported by the western powers.
Yes the chicoms will be extremely ticked off, but the game is essentially over and they will have to get over it.

The Japanese's should do the same.

If nations want to fight, let them do it in the stock markets, and with international trade deals. and not with young men dying on blood covered beaches.

MAD has worked to keep the major world powers from WW3 since the end of WW2, there is no reason it can't stop wars in smaller nations.

I agree with you. If Ukraine had kept those nukes, the Russians wouldn't have dared to invade. Nukes would keep the CCP from invading Taiwan for sure.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:37 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
We have chatted with a few people over the weekend about all this and most seem to think China is becoming a threat and all this expenditure is needed. We tend to agree with Paul Keating but his view has been rubbished by all and sundry.
That's what I think too. I can't believe the commentariat has so easily be walked into believing Australia's security is almost completely intertwined with that of Taiwan – an island we don't even recognise as a sovereign state. It's like reds under the bed.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

I supposed our views are coloured by the fact that we have been to China several times and my sister lived happily there. It felt so safe that it is hard to think of them engaging in military aggression. And if they did, could aggression be stopped by a few submarines, no matter how advanced?
Your observations are quite correct. How could a few subs stop any Chinese attack on Australia? Simply it would not.

I suspect the basing of American and UK subs at WA's Garden Island, (off Perth/Fremantle) will simply high light that facility as a target in the advent of any war.

As for Chinese aggression, it is most likely to come from an attempt to take Taiwan. The big question would be if USA and perhaps Japan would come to Taiwan's defense?

Obviously there is no guarantee of USA coming to Australia's defense as many Australians seem to expect would happen.

China now becoming the world's second military power will seek to increase Chinese influence over the area of The China Seas to become the principle power of the region.

That will likely require an American rethink with regards to their Asian influence. Probably unwilling to take on the Chinese in the medium term.

Hopefully Australia does not become a prawn in the game being played out and a disposable one at that.

A bit odd, as Australia is selling out on one hand, 1.6 billion $ in property sold to Chinese over a six month period, but on the other hand playing more hard ball, actually calling China out by name as a possible threat, something not likely to have been said even a year ago.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
That's what I think too. I can't believe the commentariat has so easily be walked into believing Australia's security is almost completely intertwined with that of Taiwan – an island we don't even recognise as a sovereign state. It's like reds under the bed.
It seems to be related with USA government thinking of any given moment.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I agree with you. If Ukraine had kept those nukes, the Russians wouldn't have dared to invade. Nukes would keep the CCP from invading Taiwan for sure.
Chinese tend to play a longer term waiting game. One can't help but think that the modern China will not be held back for too much longer over Taiwan.

Probably China will bet that America would not risk war at some point for the following reasons.

It cannot 'save' Taiwan. China is too close to prevent invasion and obviously it would be a hopeless case.

The above true as long as USA would not resort to the nuclear option, to which it must be unimaginable that they would resort to that . The Russians have not gone down that path in Ukraine , even on a limited scale, so would America act any differently?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Yes. We are a target and more so with the rotation of nuclear subs from USA and UK off Perth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand