Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 05:33 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times

Advertisements

Will be spending 10 weeks in Australia. Was thinking about spending 5 days in Darwin during the last half of November. One day for the nearby jumping croc boat tour. Wondering if there is enough going on to keep me occupied the other 4 days? On the other hand should I plan on spending more time there?

Have heard Darwin can be a rough city, any truth to that assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 05:49 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Will be spending 10 weeks in Australia. Was thinking about spending 5 days in Darwin during the last half of November. One day for the nearby jumping croc boat tour. Wondering if there is enough going on to keep me occupied the other 4 days? On the other hand should I plan on spending more time there?

Have heard Darwin can be a rough city, any truth to that assessment?
I lived there in the nineties so some time back. My understanding is that it's more crime ridden than back then , but should not impact a tourist, as long as you are aware of your surroundings after dark. When I lived there the break in situation was bad. Sound reason why so many house holds kept large dogs.

There was quite a lot of alcohol induced violence as well. Back in those days Back packers and International tourists were plentiful on the ground and lots around to cater for them. (pubs like cheap deals and so on)

I for the most part liked Darwin for the year spent there. Would not most likely want to live there, but you will get a very different picture of Australia , than what you would get down south.

The number of days depends on interests. If wanting to go to the national parks, then four days probably not long enough. Or to The Alice? Time of year important as well.

If only Darwin then four days should cover the essentials like the beach markets and cultural offerings . City itself is compact and small.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Climatically November can be 'trying' for the unaclimatised....it is our hottest time of the year with brutal heat and humidity. The upside of November is that is the prime storm chasing month with truely epic thunderstorms an almost daily occurrance.
Having said that, 4 or 5 days is barely enough to take in all the experiences on offer..... the markets, WW2 historical sites, Indigenous culture, Mitchell St alfresco dining and club strip, Litchfield Park and waterfalls, beaches ( although no swimming in Nov due to deadly box jellyfish / sea wasps in the water during the wet season ), museums and galleries.
Darwin is geneally not too busy in November, and atm the place is slowly bouncing back after the tourism downturn caused by Covid restrictions ( all lifted now ).
Best bet is jump online, research through Tourism NT to find activities/experiences that appeal to you.
https://www.tourismnt.com.au/about-us/contact-us
https://northernterritory.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand