Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 08:01 AM

536 posts, read 323,392 times

Advertisements

I used to watch australian tv series for teenagers from 90s when I was a kid. Heartbreak High. Many episodes were of various social or political matters. In one episodes teacher stuff was trying to instill patriotism for the flag and monarchy but the kids were rebeling against that, and did not understand that why the queen is the head of state or why there is british flag on theirs.. Now I know it was fictional but I am sure writers based it on the real feeling of youth then. Now that generation would be in their 40s now. So you would think that feelings for the republic would be even stronger now than they were then in Australia.

I remember also watching movie Gallipoli and I remember there was already divide among people with main character being all for going into the war for british but the one played by Mel Gibson couldn't understand that and had no connection to old country. And it was in 1910s. So even so distant in the history there were already people with no feelings towards monarchy and possibly pro republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 03:10 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I used to watch australian tv series for teenagers from 90s when I was a kid. Heartbreak High. Many episodes were of various social or political matters. In one episodes teacher stuff was trying to instill patriotism for the flag and monarchy but the kids were rebeling against that, and did not understand that why the queen is the head of state or why there is british flag on theirs.. Now I know it was fictional but I am sure writers based it on the real feeling of youth then. Now that generation would be in their 40s now. So you would think that feelings for the republic would be even stronger now than they were then in Australia.

I remember also watching movie Gallipoli and I remember there was already divide among people with main character being all for going into the war for british but the one played by Mel Gibson couldn't understand that and had no connection to old country. And it was in 1910s. So even so distant in the history there were already people with no feelings towards monarchy and possibly pro republic.
My kids are in their forties and I have no idea of their views re the republic. I must ask them! They like to discuss their house renovations, their upcoming ski trips overseas and the activities of their own kids. Fairly typical and politics seems much less a topic than it was for us.

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/wars-...s/conscription

Two votes to bring in conscription were defeated in WW1, the first very narrowly. As the link shows, 20% of the population were then Catholic, mostly Irish background and the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne led the opposition.

That is why some of the posters from Australia get a bit bemused when people want to state that Australia was always mono cultural and British.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:25 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
My kids are in their forties and I have no idea of their views re the republic. I must ask them! They like to discuss their house renovations, their upcoming ski trips overseas and the activities of their own kids. Fairly typical and politics seems much less a topic than it was for us.

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/wars-...s/conscription

Two votes to bring in conscription were defeated in WW1, the first very narrowly. As the link shows, 20% of the population were then Catholic, mostly Irish background and the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne led the opposition.

That is why some of the posters from Australia get a bit bemused when people want to state that Australia was always mono cultural and British.
True, that's why in terms of demographics it's much more accurate to describe the colonisation of Australia prior to the 20th century as Anglo-Celtic. In fact Catholicism today is the largest religion in Australia no doubt due to the Irish pre WW2 and then Italians, Germans, Greeks, Polish etc post WW2.

Here is a good video showing the immigration Demographics of Australia until present. https://youtu.be/nFnG2EQs_Rk

Old 10-24-2022, 08:51 AM

536 posts, read 323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
True, that's why in terms of demographics it's much more accurate to describe the colonisation of Australia prior to the 20th century as Anglo-Celtic. In fact Catholicism today is the largest religion in Australia no doubt due to the Irish pre WW2 and then Italians, Germans, Greeks, Polish etc post WW2.

Here is a good video showing the immigration Demographics of Australia until present. https://youtu.be/nFnG2EQs_Rk
I think germans also started to immigrate to Australia already in 19th century in quite big numbers.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,801 times
Quote:
I think germans also started to immigrate to Australia already in 19th century in quite big numbers.
That’s correct, and there were other groups in smaller numbers. In Victoria during the gold rush era (20-25 years after first European settlement) a quarter of new arrivals were from outside Britain and Ireland.

Prior to federation in 1901 each state was a separate country, so their immigration policies, processes and records all varied.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 10-24-2022 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
My grandfather was half German. His father was a 19th century German immigrant.

But that would have been lost in official statistics as the government started to detain Germans in WW1. The family moved to Sydney, he anglised his first name and told everyone the surname was Welsh. My grandparents would have always listed their descent as Welsh had that been asked.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
My grandfather was half German. His father was a 19th century German immigrant.

But that would have been lost in official statistics as the government started to detain Germans in WW1. The family moved to Sydney, he anglised his first name and told everyone the surname was Welsh. My grandparents would have always listed their descent as Welsh had that been asked.
It's pretty ironic that while people from German or Austro-Hungarian backgrounds had to be careful not to appear to have divided loyalties at the time, Irish Australians could be quite open and determined in their opposition to the country's participation in WW1.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:48 PM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
A lot of germans went to South Australia. You can see just how many place names were Anglicised after WW1 in SA compared to the rest of the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...outh_Australia

Old 10-24-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
A lot of germans went to South Australia. You can see just how many place names were Anglicised after WW1 in SA compared to the rest of the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...outh_Australia
Yep, I've driven through small towns in NSW where the biggest building in town is a Lutheran church dating back to the 1800s.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
It's pretty ironic that while people from German or Austro-Hungarian backgrounds had to be careful not to appear to have divided loyalties at the time, Irish Australians could be quite open and determined in their opposition to the country's participation in WW1.
So true, and I have never thought about it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand