Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 05:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Western Australia
‘It’s 300-odd days of sunshine’: Brits weigh Western Australia’s allure
Remote Australian state hopes better wages and sunshine will attract UK workers. In-the-know expats give their verdict

Jordyn Beazley in Sydney
Sat 18 Feb 2023 05.00 EST
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via Email
Britons tired of the cost of living crisis that has beset the UK have been thrown a lifeline: an invitation to move to Australia.

But not to Sydney or Melbourne – to the country’s vastest state, home to one of the most isolated cities in the world.

The state government of Western Australia announced on Friday that it wants to lure workers from the UK and Ireland to fill nearly 31,000 job vacancies across a range of sectors, including teachers, police officers, nurses, doctors and plumbers.

The timing of the advert is no accident. February is the hottest month in Western Australia, while Britain is at the tail end of a hard winter.

But the campaign to tempt people to leave has provoked a backlash in the UK – with the British Medical Association, and some MPs, raising concerns about the prospect of losing key workers.

Still, with Britain’s economy in a tough position, and strikes across the public sector over pay, perhaps some staff may be tempted to up sticks.

With the WA government promising “higher wages, lower cost of living and [a] surf-and-sunshine lifestyle”, the Guardian asked Britons already living in the area what those tempted by the offer can expect.

Surfers competing at Margaret River, Western Australia.
Surfers competing at Margaret River, Western Australia. Photograph: Kelly Cestari/Getty Images
The surf and sunshine lifestyle is true
“It’s like 300-odd days of sunshine,” says Russell Burder, who moved from Essex to Perth where he works in the mining industry. “We haven’t had rain since December, the weather is just glorious.

“Once you sprinkle a few extra 100 days of sunshine on us Brits then we are a much happier bunch; we’re not whingeing Poms any more.”

Matthew Kieran, an academic who moved to Perth from London, says the weather and beaches mean he feels as if he is holidaying in Greece or Spain.

“It’s about a 10-minute drive from where I live to get to a nice beach, and not just one nice beach, there’s a lot of them,” he says.

Lonely Mornington Road on the way to Kimberley in northern Western Australia.
Lonely Mornington Road on the way to Kimberley in northern Western Australia. Photograph: Steve Waters/Alamy
Western Australia is huge
Western Australia takes up a third of the country’s land mass. It is 10 times the size of the UK. Perth, the state’s capital, is among the most isolated cities in the world.

Even a flight to Sydney on the country’s east coast takes hours.

It’s one thing to know this fact, it’s another to live with it, says Kieran.

“You’re miles from anywhere else, even the country is miles from anywhere else which I don’t think British people realise,” he says. “Don’t expect to be flying backwards and forwards to Sydney all the time.”

Services can be hard to access
Louise O’Neill, who moved from Bath to a rural part of southern Western Australia where she runs Farm Life Fitness, providing one-on-one health and wellness coaching, suspects the government may be looking to recruit people in rural Western Australia.

And life in rural Western Australia can mean a shortage of services.

O’Neill, who has lived in Australia for 12 years, says people would drive an hour and a half to see the physiotherapist because it was the closest one.

“The other day my friend drove five hours to Perth for a 20-minute medical appointment for her son.”

You need a car to get everywhere
Even in the city, public transport in Western Australia doesn’t compare with the UK, says Kieran.

“It’s a very car-orientated place, that was a big surprise,” he says.

Group meditation on a Perth beach. Photograph: Paul Kane/Getty Images
It can be cheaper to live
Australia is now experiencing a cost of living crisis, but it doesn’t seem to be as bad as the UK, says Burder, who moved to Australia seven years ago. That’s part of the Western Australia government pitch: “WA salaries are often more than 50% higher than the average English salary for the same occupation.”

Burder says: “You get paid better here and the cost of living is cheaper than in the UK. Talking to my family back in the UK and they’re paying double what I am for gas and electricity.”

Buying a house is also much cheaper, says Kieran.

In London, he says he had a 60 square metre flat with no garden. In Perth, his family bought a three-bedroom house on a 700 square metre plot of land with a garden in the back and front yard.

However, renters may be less lucky, with some towns in the state facing an escalating rental emergency.

Shops close early
“You can’t get a coffee past three o’clock, it drives me nuts,” says Kieran.

Burder says you similarly won’t find much open on a Sunday in Western Australia. “It feels like where the UK was 20 years ago,” he said.

Enjoying coffee in Fremantle, Perth’s port district. Photograph: Paul Kane/Getty Images
People look out for each other
“There’s a sense of community that I don’t feel like you get in England,” says O’Neill. “Especially in rural communities because there’s not much to do and you’re so far from things and so everyone looks out for each other.”

Being from London, Kieran says he was at first confused by how friendly people are.

“The first few days I was here, a car stopped in the middle of a street. And I was like, why is that car stopping? That’s really weird to me, and then the driver just signalled for me to cross the road.”

Customers fill up at a Western Australia ‘servo’ or petrol station.
Customers fill up at a Western Australia ‘servo’ or petrol station. Photograph: Getty Images
Maccas means McDonald’s, servo means petrol station
If you’re homesick, there’s always the comic relief of Australian slang, says Kieran.

“Everyone shortens everything. I was like: ‘What the hell is a servo? What is Maccas!?’” he says.

Burder also has a word of warning for Brits coming to Australia: thongs means flip-flops, not skimpy knickers.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...tralias-allure
Except a similar situation of discontent among nurses, teachers and police exists here in Western Australia, as expressed in recent strikes, stretched hospitals with 'ramping' common , over worked staff, inability to attract teachers to rural locations, disquiet at increased school violence against teachers, police quitting in droves and so on.

While the pay is more it is debatable just how much less the cost of living is. Parts of the UK it would prove cheaper.

Sounds like a PR stunt to me with two parts. One to convince local nurses , teachers and police that their conditions are not that bad. Any evidence required being Brit and Irish nurses and teachers and so on, sold on the idea of a life in WA.

Obviously starting a campaign during the depths of a British winter was not by chance but more likely a planned maneuver to gain maximum coverage in press.

A rather basic campaign, houses are not cheaper than many parts of UK , too often poorly built, and those that are, are often far in the sprawling outskirts, that harbour own social issues and lack of amenities.

Nothing discussed about the rampant drug situation (obviously) in WA, which is swamped with methamphetamine, worth billions of dollars with the social, medical and economic issues created by a complete lack of action to turn it around. We might have more workers if it were the case.

Next housing. Rents are out of control. Houses are expensive to buy. Okay perhaps if from the South of England , but expensive for others as well as locals.

Fremantle mentioned. Now there's a city declined from the eighties and nineties. The Capuchino Strip, being a shadow of itself, besides becoming a place of 'distressed' people and drugs galore.

One can colour Perth as bright and fuzzy as one wishes in order to sell it. But as usual the reality is somewhere else , which will appeal to some (beach appeal usually wears off after the first year) and prove a bit dull to others.

Whether a good place to raise kids is debatable at best, I'd say, but still a cliche thrown about as a truism.

I hope this campaign may give the shove necessarily , for The NHS to improve conditions at home for their hard working staff and readdress the decline of that fine institution once said to be among the best in the world.
There are still many advantages remaining in UK versus going to remote and parochial WA , but prevailing conditions must be improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I think the WA premier was out to get some publicity in these two countries and churn up some interest, so am not so certain this is really "new." Many view WA's border restrictions during the COVID pandemic as too extreme and implemented for too long a period than was reasonable. It certainly took the gloss off that state for migration, including internal migration. International media certainly picked up and ran with that angle.

To an extent, I suspect WA is trying to get back on radar as a destination. Also, I doubt that quoted target is realistically meant for a single year or how achievable the WA government really thinks it is, so overall it's not large in the context of an national annual intake of 170,000 - 180,000.
WA hospitals already have large numbers of UK and Irish nurses. I would be interested in the time frame. I suspect a headline grabbing headline by this government and set tongues wagging in UK.
Free publicity after all.

What was lost during lockdowns, has well and truely be made up for post pandemic, in interstate migration. I have never seen so many interstate number plates on our roads. Victorian plates are everywhere and sadly not here necessarily to ease the employee shortage or take in the sights.

But far fewer International tourists present. The loss of some back packer hostels during the pandemic, may contribute in part to this.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:22 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,312,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Except a similar situation of discontent among nurses, teachers and police exists here in Western Australia, as expressed in recent strikes, stretched hospitals with 'ramping' common , over worked staff, inability to attract teachers to rural locations, disquiet at increased school violence against teachers, police quitting in droves and so on.

While the pay is more it is debatable just how much less the cost of living is. Parts of the UK it would prove cheaper.

Sounds like a PR stunt to me with two parts. One to convince local nurses , teachers and police that their conditions are not that bad. Any evidence required being Brit and Irish nurses and teachers and so on, sold on the idea of a life in WA.

Obviously starting a campaign during the depths of a British winter was not by chance but more likely a planned maneuver to gain maximum coverage in press.

A rather basic campaign, houses are not cheaper than many parts of UK , too often poorly built, and those that are, are often far in the sprawling outskirts, that harbour own social issues and lack of amenities.

Nothing discussed about the rampant drug situation (obviously) in WA, which is swamped with methamphetamine, worth billions of dollars with the social, medical and economic issues created by a complete lack of action to turn it around. We might have more workers if it were the case.

Next housing. Rents are out of control. Houses are expensive to buy. Okay perhaps if from the South of England , but expensive for others as well as locals.

Fremantle mentioned. Now there's a city declined from the eighties and nineties. The Capuchino Strip, being a shadow of itself, besides becoming a place of 'distressed' people and drugs galore.

One can colour Perth as bright and fuzzy as one wishes in order to sell it. But as usual the reality is somewhere else , which will appeal to some (beach appeal usually wears off after the first year) and prove a bit dull to others.

Whether a good place to raise kids is debatable at best, I'd say, but still a cliche thrown about as a truism.

I hope this campaign may give the shove necessarily , for The NHS to improve conditions at home for their hard working staff and readdress the decline of that fine institution once said to be among the best in the world.
There are still many advantages remaining in UK versus going to remote and parochial WA , but prevailing conditions must be improved.
I don't think there is anywhere in the UK and Ireland that can offer salaries even remotely close to WA while also having similar house prices and cost of living to Perth.

One can easily buy a family home in Perth for £250,000-300,000 While as a trades person or Nurse for example could be earning £50,000+ per annum.
As for cost of living. Petrol is £0.95 per litre in Perth compared to £1.45 in much of the UK.

In terms of power bills etc then Perth again will be much cheaper as people pay alot for Gas or oil in Ireland/UK to heat up their homes for most or the year. On top of that Perth can be made much cheaper with Solar panels being quite inexpensive and even for people with climate control in their homes power bills are next to nothing with Solar. In the UK/Ireland one would never be able to get the same benefits so again overall Perth is cheaper. Apart from a few things such as Alcohol and maybe Vehicles I don't think there is much at all that the UK/Ireland is cheaper than Perth in.

As for your point about things aren't much better here. I'd say they definitely are but they have alot of room for improvement as you mentioned. The reality is however Perth is safer and more family friendly than Many cities in the UK and the climate offers people a lifestyle they pay big money for every summer by going to the Greek Islands. There is simply no comparison to what Perth offers many Irish and Brits in terms of a family friendly lifestyle compared to the UK/Ireland and most of all it's free. Going out on the weekends with family is so cheap here. One can visit the many different beaches, parks and family oriented large scale events and not worry about breaking the bank. For young people especially those who like to live in the likes of Scarborough. It will feel like they are in constant holiday mode.

I do agree with you about the rental crisis however and feel the WA government have their head buried deep in the sand about how bad it is. They really don't care even though they helped create this mess.

As for housing being poorly built compared to the UK/Ireland. That is true but remember this is a warm climate compared to the UK/Ireland which is cool. While I feel the standards especially in terms of energy efficiency should be the same the reason they aren't is simply because of the fact the houses are just as comfortable without any sort of heating or cooling for much of the year.

I do agree with you that I I hope this campaign pushes the likes of the NHS and other skilled workers to recieve better pay and working conditions. Perhaps a campaign like this is the wake up call they needed

Last edited by Paddy234; 02-20-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is anywhere in the UK and Ireland that can offer salaries even remotely close to WA while also having similar house prices and cost of living to Perth.

One can easily buy a family home in Perth for £250,000-300,000 While as a trades person or Nurse for example could be earning £50,000+ per annum.
As for cost of living. Petrol is £0.95 per litre in Perth compared to £1.45 in much of the UK.

In terms of power bills etc then Perth again will be much cheaper as people pay alot for Gas or oil in Ireland/UK to heat up their homes for most or the year. On top of that Perth can be made much cheaper with Solar panels being quite inexpensive and even for people with climate control in their homes power bills are next to nothing with Solar. In the UK/Ireland one would never be able to get the same benefits so again overall Perth is cheaper. Apart from a few things such as Alcohol and maybe Vehicles I don't think there is much at all that the UK/Ireland is cheaper than Perth in.

As for your point about things aren't much better here. I'd say they definitely are but they have alot of room for improvement as you mentioned. The reality is however Perth is safer and more family friendly than Many cities in the UK and the climate offers people a lifestyle they pay big money for every summer by going to the Greek Islands. There is simply no comparison to what Perth offers many Irish and Brits in terms of a family friendly lifestyle compared to the UK/Ireland and most of all it's free. Going out on the weekends with family is so cheap here. One can visit the many different beaches, parks and family oriented large scale events and not worry about breaking the bank. For young people especially those who like to live in the likes of Scarborough. It will feel like they are in constant holiday mode.

I do agree with you about the rental crisis however and feel the WA government have their head buried deep in the sand about how bad it is. They really don't care even though they helped create this mess.

As for housing being poorly built compared to the UK/Ireland. That is true but remember this is a warm climate compared to the UK/Ireland which is cool. While I feel the standards especially in terms of energy efficiency should be the same the reason they aren't is simply because of the fact the houses are just as comfortable without any sort of heating or cooling for much of the year.

I do agree with you that I I hope this campaign pushes the likes of the NHS and other skilled workers to recieve better pay and working conditions. Perhaps a campaign like this is the wake up call they needed
And yet large degrees of dissent with nurses, teachers and police with conditions and pay expressed. Difficult to fill rural roles for numerous reasons including safety and isolation.
Hence far removed from what could be termed a successful system.

Hospitals are under strain as in UK. Bullying is an issue I've heard raised repeatedly within the health system here as well. often put down to poor management.

I have agreed the pay structure does top the UK/Ireland. Even so dissent is rampant in all three sectors mentioned.
Yesterday it was reported that the hemorrhaging of police officers in the WA Police Force continues unabated. Strong levels of dissent there but hardly surprising.

Of course you can buy houses for the amount you mention. Trouble is they are usually far out from centre/working place with little to no infrastructure.
Little for kids once reaching a certain age to do and poor on a human level for social contact and connecting with services.

I agree a town house can be purchased closer in for several hundred thousand dollars but not always ideal for a family.

AS for poor builds, it is not just the climate. Even in cooler parts the state of building remains under whelming. More about maximum profit for the developer/builder at least cost and quality products.

In fact we have a builder staying with us at the moment from Germany, who finds houses here too often like sheds compared to home . He at least has arrived at an appreciation , something he took for granted previously, the quality of product and workmanship at home compared to here.

You overlook what is going down here in terms of the multibillion dollar methamphetamine trade, which sucks many, far too many for the good of society into making easy money with minimal risk as things stand. This includes many born abroad and all professions. It is a massive problem not being addressed. The black economy is massive and will impact on those of us not engaged in illegal activities , as it distorts the economy as well as invites in unsavoury types from abroad pushing for greater influence and wealth.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Overseas recruitment might be a way for some employers to avoiding or resist having to offer better salaries and conditions to retain local employees, but what's going to be the reaction of overseas recruits when they realize that most jobs on offer are in places like Marble Bar, Kunanura or Meekatharra? Or how long will they stay in those remote locations?

Old 02-20-2023, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Overseas recruitment might be a way for some employers to avoiding or resist having to offer better salaries and conditions to retain local employees, but what's going to be the reaction of overseas recruits when they realize that most jobs on offer are in places like Marble Bar, Kunanura or Meekatharra? Or how long will they stay in those remote locations?
I hope they check out conditions and expectations of them. Australia is good historically at using migrants to fulfill roles local not wanting to do.

Such bush conditions would likely cull the numbers substantially, especially if compelled. This way work for those coming from other regions of the world but not so easy to sell to British or Irish.
Perhaps that's why the numbers are large. There is an expectation of returnees.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:39 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,312,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
And yet large degrees of dissent with nurses, teachers and police with conditions and pay expressed. Difficult to fill rural roles for numerous reasons including safety and isolation.
Hence far removed from what could be termed a successful system.

Hospitals are under strain as in UK. Bullying is an issue I've heard raised repeatedly within the health system here as well. often put down to poor management.

I have agreed the pay structure does top the UK/Ireland. Even so dissent is rampant in all three sectors mentioned.
Yesterday it was reported that the hemorrhaging of police officers in the WA Police Force continues unabated. Strong levels of dissent there but hardly surprising.

Of course you can buy houses for the amount you mention. Trouble is they are usually far out from centre/working place with little to no infrastructure.
Little for kids once reaching a certain age to do and poor on a human level for social contact and connecting with services.

I agree a town house can be purchased closer in for several hundred thousand dollars but not always ideal for a family.

AS for poor builds, it is not just the climate. Even in cooler parts the state of building remains under whelming. More about maximum profit for the developer/builder at least cost and quality products.

In fact we have a builder staying with us at the moment from Germany, who finds houses here too often like sheds compared to home . He at least has arrived at an appreciation , something he took for granted previously, the quality of product and workmanship at home compared to here.

You overlook what is going down here in terms of the multibillion dollar methamphetamine trade, which sucks many, far too many for the good of society into making easy money with minimal risk as things stand. This includes many born abroad and all professions. It is a massive problem not being addressed. The black economy is massive and will impact on those of us not engaged in illegal activities , as it distorts the economy as well as invites in unsavoury types from abroad pushing for greater influence and wealth.
Just because teachers, nurses, police officers etc aren't happy with their current situation doesn't mean it has the same problems as the UK/Ireland. People in WA are used to higher standard of living than what is available in the UK/Ireland and therefore of course they are going to be In uproar when this is disrupted. Just like people crying about fuel prices going up here whenever they are still almost $1a litre cheaper than the UK.

Also what do you mean little or no infrastructure. Look Around Perth suburbs such as Rockingham, Baldivis, Ellenbrook, Alkimos, Joondaloop etc. These all offer family homes for the price I mentioned and all have access to world class infrastructure. For example in every suburb in Perth there are public parks scattered all around and most have free BBQ's hooked up with gas under pergolas. You don't get anything remotely close to this in the UK/Ireland. We regularly see these full on the weekend with kids birthday parties organized by locals in the area. There's FAR more for kids and families to do in these areas I find that back in Ireland/UK. There's simply no comparison.

As for the quality of hosting here. Again this is where I agree with you. What I'm most worried about however it the current state of the construction industry. Mc Gowan created a mess where he helped pump up a market that has became so inflated companies are going under because they can't keep up with inflation and build times have tripled from pre covid. I don't think anywhere in the developed world builds houses as slow as Perth at the moment. Again Mc Gowan doesn't care. He claimed he regrets nothing about stimulating the economy during covid even though it created this mess. How does one not have the brains to realize you can't strangle supply while inflating demand and think the entire market won't be affected in a negative way

As your comment about the Meth culture. Listen mate I know you see it everyday and believe me I have been exposed to it myself quite a bit after witnessing guys high on sites however it's not something that I have to be around and associate with. In fact I rarely see or notice it here and again Perth is safer and better for families than many cites in the UK where anti social behavior is generally more extreme than anything here and where knife crime is a daily occurrence. Many British families for example move for this very reason.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:30 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
I don't know anybody here prepared to move to the a*se end of nowhere, however we do have more than 31,000 people here recently arrived by boat, you are more than welcome to have those if you want them?

Old 02-21-2023, 03:18 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Just because teachers, nurses, police officers etc aren't happy with their current situation doesn't mean it has the same problems as the UK/Ireland. People in WA are used to higher standard of living than what is available in the UK/Ireland and therefore of course they are going to be In uproar when this is disrupted. Just like people crying about fuel prices going up here whenever they are still almost $1a litre cheaper than the UK.
Spot on. I think the average Australian nurse, teacher or police officer would be shocked at the poverty wages they'd be earning in the UK.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:20 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't know anybody here prepared to move to the a*se end of nowhere
Lol. There's more Brits living in Perth, a city of 2 million people, than Australians living in the entirety of Britain. Maybe you should get out a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand