U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Studying abroad in Australia, study abroad academic programs, best city in Australia, theater importance, coffeehouse culture, young college girls, outdoor activities

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,188,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post

Yeah I kinda feel sorry for Americans travelling at the moment. Although I think it's a lot worse for them in Europe than Oz. But hey what I tell Americans is you may have elected a bozo twice but we elected that bozo's biggest butt licker 3 times. So who the hell are we to judge?
I don't think people in Australia care that much about your nationality when visiting. They could care less if one is American or Canadian or whatever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:18 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,697,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't think people in Australia care that much about your nationality when visiting. They could care less if one is American or Canadian or whatever.
I did come across Aussies who cared and were vocal about the how George W got elected twice. Or wanted to discuss politics. This included uni lecturers who liked to put down how certain things were done in the US. Of course this was not the majority, but it happened enough that I did not want to discuss politics yet againi so it was easier to try to avoid these situations.

Last edited by minibrings; 09-19-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM

200 posts, read 975,388 times
That's the Chasers. Some of what they do is brilliant and some of it falls short. You could pick parts of Australia and get very similar responses.

And I often point out that George Bush was only really "elected" once and even that's debatable.

I've spoken to Americans here in the UK who have really got a hard time. And let's face it, if JH was number one bum kisser then Tony Blair was a close 2nd.

Like you with Uni at Adelaide I have very fond memories of my time at High School in San Diego and still have friends I went to school with there. I went back to visit some of them earlier this year. That's a lot more important than talking bloody politics.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,697,971 times
Ya its tougher in EU for yanks. Actually its harder for them in kiwiland than in Oz!
Do you know what JH is up to now? Saying sorry or something to the Liberals? Nah he is not the type to say 'Im sorry'

Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I did come across Aussies who cared and were vocal about the how George W got elected twice. Or wanted to discuss politics. This included uni lecturers who liked to put down how certain things were done in the US. Of course this was not the majority, but it happened enough that I did not want to discuss politics yet againi so it was easier to try to avoid these situations.
Oh no question with the liberal intelligentsia at uni sipping their coffees with their pinky extended, they would get into it, but your average Australian could care less. They are more interested in the rugby or AFL, or who is shagging who or what the latest gambling odds are or where their next beer is coming from, than what other countries are up to. I find Aussies and Kiwis rather reluctant to discuss politics anyways. I spend at least a month down under each year and I've never had one conversation regarding American politics or their politics. And I've never had any unilateral feedback on their part either regarding my nationality. Nor experienced any anti-Americanism. The only political discussions I've had are with friends from down under that I have known for years.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
And I often point out that George Bush was only really "elected" once and even that's debatable.
Debatable? More like inaccurate. If there is a problem I'd hope people get their facts straight first.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Debatable? More like inaccurate. If there is a problem I'd hope people get their facts straight first.
Yes it's fact that he wasn't really elected the first time. I meant it was debatable that he he was elected the second time. (ie) Debatable he was even elected once.

Interestiing that the "loony" left who are supposedly anti racism and saying you shouldn't "Judge" yet they think it's OK to judge Americans just because of the Government.

But you're right about where our real interests lie. Speaking of which I'm off to the pub to meet a couple of my Aussie mates to see my beloved Saints play the Hawks. GO SAINTS.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,963 times
Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful replies. Still haven't settled on a city yet, though. I'm really leaning toward Adelaide (U of Adelaide) or Melbourne (U of Melbourne) right now, but Sydney and Brisbane are still possibilities I think.

My current impressions:

So far, Adelaine seems interesting because it seems more authentic and its close to Kangaroo island, which sounds pretty cool. The city also seems smaller, more manageable, friendlier. One thing in favor af Adelaine over the Mel/Syd is that it's not as international. I'm from the US and looking to meet other Australians and Australian students. Running into other Americans is swell n all but that's not why I came to the country. Melbourne and Sydney seem to have significant international populations, don't know if I'm overestimating that or not.

Melbourne is the "cultural capital," has a coffeehouse culture (yay!), big with sports and music, seems great for young people ---- however I heard it lacks any nearby nature sites.

Sydney is also a vibrant city--- it's the biggest city with seemingly the most to do. I also heard there are plenty of nature sites around. However, it appears very international and very touristy. From what I've heard, people tend to give off a NYC-esque "**** off" vibe when hurrying around the busy trafficked city. I also get the impression most activities/ restaurants/ bars there will burn a massive hole in my wallet. Then again, it might be the best place for a student to go. I don't know.

Brisbane/ Gold Coast: haven't heard much about these. Would like to know more. Surfing/ partying on the beach up there sounds most entertaining. All I've really heard is that brisbane might be boring, and that the weather in these cities is very, very nice.

Also, someone from Adelaide told me the CBD (downtown?) slows down to seedy/ sketchy levels at night. He also told me that public transportation at night (trams - btw what are trams?) are only filled with few people and that you may be asking for trouble using trains at night. At the same time, if I'm at a large univeristy (Uni of Adelaide) -- there will be plenty to do on campus on a friday night, am I right?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing-Spiderman View Post
Brisbane/ Gold Coast: haven't heard much about these. Would like to know more. Surfing/ partying on the beach up there sounds most entertaining. All I've really heard is that brisbane might be boring, and that the weather in these cities is very, very nice.

I actually grew up in Brisbane and lived there for 3/4 of my life. It's a great place to live as well. The better beaches are actualy on the Sunshine coast or if youi travell about an hour further south of the Gold Coast to northern New South Wales you've got place Bryon Ban and Brunswick heads which absolutely fantastic beaches. Brisbane is a real gateway to a lot of nice places. Personally think the Gold Coast itself is a bit over rated.

To be honest you can't go too far wrong whichever you choose. They've all go their ads and disads.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,278 times
Go to Sydney or Melbourne if you are staying for a while. They are bigger cities, have alot of nature, great people, food etc. I also advise travelling around (Queensland, Peth and Tasmania are beautiful) but if you are young and like to party as well then Sydney or Melbourne is the way to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand