Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,060,253 times

Advertisements

Finally, an AUS forum!

Ok, so basically all my life, I've dreamt of visiting the land of Oz. It looks an amazing place to visit (and possibly live). I think I may have finally mustered up the courage to take that 14 hour flight. But my one issue is, I'll be going alone.

I want to visit Sydney. I know there are other wonderful cities to choose from, but on my first trip, I'd definitely like to see Sydney more than anything else. How safe is it for a young single female? I know to use common sense where ever I go. But will I have to carry a bottle of pepper spray with me?

And, is Sydney walkable? I dont expect it to be like NYC. But is it walkable enough? Or would I have to use a lot of public transportation? Because I know absolutely nothing about public transportation (not even here in the US.. pathetic, I know), and I'd be afraid of catching the train and ending up in Perth or something.

I'd plan on going next summer (or winter.. May or Aug), because honestly, its when its cheapest. I dont really care about swimming in the beaches or anything. I really just want to spend time in the city. I want to see and do local things, not just be stuck in a tourist trap. Of course I still want to see the Opera house, Bridge, and etc., but you know what I mean. I want to socialize with Aussies, not a bunch of American tourists.

Is one week long enough? Or would I need more time? I'd spend months if I could, but I wouldnt be able to afford it, plus I'd probably get fired.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,967,701 times
Just for Sydney yes. And its walkable enough depending on where you are staying, just like any other city. You will need to ride the subway and the ferries at some point. No getting around it. And public transport is easy peasy, no need to worry about ending up in Perth.. this won't happen.
Actually, I like Sydney when its cooler as it can get pretty warm in the summer. Be sure to try to book something online at the opera house and go enjoy the acoustics.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info mini.

I'm not sure where I'd be staying. I was looking at a package online which included the hotel stay, but I dont remember seeing where the hotel was.

What are the areas I should avoid when booking?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 AM

339 posts, read 1,167,336 times
I lived in Sydney for 6 years and loved it...good choice. Obviously with only a week or so you can only really visit one city in Oz. I'd recommend staying near or in the city, then you can walk to many of the sights such as the opera house, the bridge, etc. You can also easily catch public transport from there. You'll find accomm pretty expensive in Sydney and you get what you pay for of course. In the city it is best to be further north (i.e. toward circular quay), I find the south part of the city near central station seedy (but certainly not dangerous - leave the pepper spray at home!). Darling Harbour is OK but a bit of a tacky tourist trap. When we had visitors to the city we always recommended the Harbourside in McMahons pt Harbourside Apartments - Home incredible location and the ferry to the city right on your doorstep, cheaper than the major hotels (only a few mins) and walking distance to lots of charming little cafes. We lived right near there and I miss it!

A few places to go and things to do:
Follow the harbour-front right around from Circular Quay, past the opera house and into the botantical gardens
Climb the harbour bridge. And if you don't want to fork out the $$, just walk over the pedestrian walkway to milsons pt.
Go to a pub at the Rocks. It's touristy in parts but there are some genuine old-school pubs there.
Go over to Cremorne Pt on the ferry. One of my fave places in sydney. Gorgeous view back to the city.
Catch the bus to Bondi and walk around the coast to Coogee. It's got to be done.
Get your way over to Balmoral beach on the lower north shore for fish and chips. Absolutely gorgeous gem of a place. See how the other half live!
Catch the fast ferry to manly.
You have to go to Newtown. I loved it, quirky and funky with great eateries. Not a tourist trap.
Feeling brave? Catch the train out west to Cabramatta. Little Vietnam, a very interesting little place and you will definitely see the real sydney that 99% of tourists would never clap eyes on.

Don't let people sucker you into wasting a day at the blue mountains. There are no mountains, just a big plateau and busloads of tourists. Zzzzzzzz.

Don't worry about public transport - you can't really go wrong and if you get stuck someone will help you out. Aussies are a friendly lot.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM

hkgal - thanks for all the info. I'll keep that Harbourside hotel in mind.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM

959 posts, read 2,355,795 times
Hey, awesome. I, too, have been seriously thinking about going to Australia or New Zealand in the next couple years. I was going to ask the EXACT same questions...also more about non-touristy places off the beaten path, because I do not want to go and hang out with tourists at all.

I am 31 years old...and have traveled alone plenty of times but not abroad. Was going to go to Oz with a friend but won't have money to do it by this spring, when he wants to go.

I need to do lots of research on ways to travel there as cheaply as possible, while maximizing the experience, so maybe we can help eachother out. I know there are some forums to visit for the solo traveler, but it's a little tricky to sort out the meat markets from legit traveling sites.

If you do end up going alone, I think the biggest thing to do is to stay aware of your surroundings at all times and be a bit wary of people. Don't drink very much around strangers in clubs/bars and get to talking...fun but can be pretty dangerous. Biggest thing--awareness and common sense. My radar has warned me away from folks a few times while traveling so I've stayed safe without getting overly paranoid.

My brother went to New Z a couple years back. He said they were totally set up for cheaper tourism in that they had hostels s everywhere to stay at. He said 2 weeks ended up costing him about $4500.00 when it was all said and done. Not sure if Oz is the same way hostel-wise or not.

Aussies/fellow travelers?? Any info?? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Finally, an AUS forum!

Ok, so basically all my life, I've dreamt of visiting the land of Oz. It looks an amazing place to visit (and possibly live). I think I may have finally mustered up the courage to take that 14 hour flight. But my one issue is, I'll be going alone.

I want to visit Sydney. I know there are other wonderful cities to choose from, but on my first trip, I'd definitely like to see Sydney more than anything else. How safe is it for a young single female? I know to use common sense where ever I go. But will I have to carry a bottle of pepper spray with me?

And, is Sydney walkable? I dont expect it to be like NYC. But is it walkable enough? Or would I have to use a lot of public transportation? Because I know absolutely nothing about public transportation (not even here in the US.. pathetic, I know), and I'd be afraid of catching the train and ending up in Perth or something.

I'd plan on going next summer (or winter.. May or Aug), because honestly, its when its cheapest. I dont really care about swimming in the beaches or anything. I really just want to spend time in the city. I want to see and do local things, not just be stuck in a tourist trap. Of course I still want to see the Opera house, Bridge, and etc., but you know what I mean. I want to socialize with Aussies, not a bunch of American tourists.

Is one week long enough? Or would I need more time? I'd spend months if I could, but I wouldnt be able to afford it, plus I'd probably get fired.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,967,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Thanks for the info mini.

I'm not sure where I'd be staying. I was looking at a package online which included the hotel stay, but I dont remember seeing where the hotel was.

What are the areas I should avoid when booking?
There is a hostel by the railway station, its a large one (building) that is supposed to be good. Can't remember the name but do a search and its a highrise type building. met someone that was staying there and he said it was pretty nice. I stay at 3/4 start hotels in Syd so can't help you w/ cheaper places sorry. I like the location by the railway as you can hop the train to the airport from there and you can walk to Darling Harbour, the Opera House, or take public transport if feeling lazy.

I'd avoid the areas around Oxford St as it can be dodgy and noisy. A friend of mine moved out of his hostel as his g/f was not comfy.

hkgirl's reco above are spot on.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,619,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
My brother went to New Z a couple years back. He said they were totally set up for cheaper tourism in that they had hostels s everywhere to stay at. He said 2 weeks ended up costing him about $4500.00 when it was all said and done. Not sure if Oz is the same way hostel-wise or not.

Aussies/fellow travelers?? Any info?? Thanks!
Plenty of hostels from what I've seen in Australia especially in certain areas that attract the young crowd like Sydney or the Gold Coast.

A lot of people want to see Australia which I understand, but for most deciding between Oz or NZ, I recommend NZ. More compact, easier to get around, cities are smaller, more touristy type things to do, better weather(more temperate, than raging hot), much better scenery and more diversity in landscapes in a shorter distance, plenty of busty blonde Swedish backpacker babes, etc. Overall I find NZ has more of a fun factor.

I have grown out of the hostel thing and I have found in most decent sized cities in OZ and NZ something called serviced apartments. It depends but often renting for a week+ the rate is far lower than a hotel. I've always stayed in nice towers with a balcony and a view, kitchen, washer/dryer, bedroom, etc. I like it because I feel more at home, I can make my own food, I can come and go as I please without maids bugging me(including sleeping in till noon), etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,619,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
I need to do lots of research on ways to travel there as cheaply as possible, while maximizing the experience, so maybe we can help eachother out. I know there are some forums to visit for the solo traveler, but it's a little tricky to sort out the meat markets from legit traveling sites.
Oh by the way, I also travel alone down under, usually at least one month out of every year for the past 6 years. One site I started using is Wotif.com: Hotels, Accommodation, Motels, Serviced Apartments, B&B - Online hotel bookings with instant confirmation for booking accommodation. Pretty much on my last trip that's what I was using for my bookings and by actively using the site I was able to snag really good hotels or apartments at awesome rates. When I would find good rates, I'd cross check it with tripadvisor.com for reviews to see what people thought as well, then I could better decide on a property.

When I first went to Australia and was travelling in the rural areas, I was trying to keep to a budget so often I was staying in depressing, run down motels along the railroad tracks or whatever to save $15-$20. It wasn't worth it as it ruined my mood and experience. I remember one place in stayed in rural Victoria was so bad that I just wanted to go home the next day. As stated before once I started staying at apartments or condos, I was paying about the same, but I was 10 times better off.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,935 times
Hahahahah your quite the funny one. Sydney CBD (city) is walkable its busy all the time and you will always feel safe. And Im pretty sure you would know if you were on a train to Perth lol being that it takes ages. Sydney is AMAZINg you will Love it. But if you want to travel out of the city you are going to need to use Public Transport. Sydney has a great rail network, I use it everytime I go down to Sydney. Its great and if you have anytime come up to queensland it's Australias answer to Florida and California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand