Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times

Advertisements

I have read some horror stories about deadly snakes biting folks in the suburbs and even city centers of Australia's largest cities- when I visit what is the real truth about snakes and spiders? What are precautions I should take?

I hear the brown snake is the second most deadly in the world- and is everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Well, you see it's like this...the Aussies perpetuate the rumors about the many hazardous critters in their country because they're trying to keep the rest of us afraid enough to stay away and not come live there.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM

I did read something in an Aussie paper about a man walking down a pathway, who decided to 'relieve' himself- and a 3 meter brown snake wrapped itself around his leg, and took a bite at his 'private part' or as the article said his 'Wily' yikes

Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I did read something in an Aussie paper about a man walking down a pathway, who decided to 'relieve' himself- and a 3 meter brown snake wrapped itself around his leg, and took a bite at his 'private part' or as the article said his 'Wily' yikes
These stories for the most part, if they were true, are the exception, rather than the norm. People do not live in fear of spiders, snakes and sharks. I have never seen a snake in the city centres of Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin, Alice, Hobart, etc.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Well I was wondering

The Eastern tiger Snake, Notechis scutatus, is an elapid from South Eastern Australia. It has a highly toxic venom and until recently held the record for most Australian snakebite fatalities (now overtaken by the Eastern Brown Snake, Pseudonaja textilis).

It is a medium sized elapid generally reaching about 3.5 feet in length but has been known to reach 6.5 feet. In the wild they mainly feed on frogs and mice as adults, but will take the odd bird or lizard. As juveniles however, skinks make up a large portion of their diet. They are active mainly by day (Diurnal) but on excessively hot nights (over 34 degC/ 93F) they become semi nocturnal.

In the wild they are mainly a swamp dwelling species, often found around waterways etc. They have also been known to climb into surrounding vegetation to a height of 1 metre. They have probably become more common with the arrival of people in Australia. It is not uncommon to find them in and around houses in the Melbourne area. (They are the main snakes I catch on Snake calls). The record I have caught in one day was 31 on a 22 deg. C / 72 F, overcast day at a tip about 20 kms / 12.4 miles from the city centre of Melbourne, (Melbourne has a suburban sprawl of 40 kms / 25 miles).

And also

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Th...nakes_999.html

Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Snakes are not agressive, they are far more afraid of us than we are of them. If you see one, give him some respect, and a wide berth. If he's slithering around, he's not 'after' you, he's on his way somewhere else.
We have carpet pythons on our property..stunning..but very, very lazy. And who wouldn't be on a nice summer day up there?
We've also heard wild dogs at night, pretty scary sounding, but again, they avoid humans. They are however, a threat to livestock. (We'll avoid mentioning dingoes and babies, but let me just say I think the dingo was innocent!)
If you're wandering around areas where you know snakes may nest, whether in the country or city, wear good strong shoes and jeans at least, even in summer.
Actually, I think the scariest things I've seen in Oz so far have been of the human variety.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Snakes are not agressive, they are far more afraid of us than we are of them. If you see one, give him some respect, and a wide berth. If he's slithering around, he's not 'after' you, he's on his way somewhere else.
We have carpet pythons on our property..stunning..but very, very lazy. And who wouldn't be on a nice summer day up there?
We've also heard wild dogs at night, pretty scary sounding, but again, they avoid humans. They are however, a threat to livestock. (We'll avoid mentioning dingoes and babies, but let me just say I think the dingo was innocent!)
If you're wandering around areas where you know snakes may nest, whether in the country or city, wear good strong shoes and jeans at least, even in summer.
Actually, I think the scariest things I've seen in Oz so far have been of the human variety.

Thanks for the advice

It seems these snakes are quite common in and around the largest cities from what I have been reading- I of course would not wander into areas where these snakes might be found-from what I have read, the Tiger snake, eastern brown and red bellied black snake are the most common in the Melbourne area where I will be visiting- it seems common sense is the best policy- I weed my garden here without any fear- except for poison Ivy-

I would not be so foolhardy there- I hate snakes! And you guys down under have some real nasty varmints- we only have here in southern New England the eastern timber rattler- poisonous of course- and they will bite- though rare- and the eastern copperhead-also poisonous- but uncommon, and I agree about the humans!

Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

58 posts, read 204,704 times
Lived for 15 years in melbourne.
and have travelled most of aus am still living in aus.

Never seen a snake here in my life

Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
I thought I read somewhere that a general rule of thumb (anywhere in the world), is that the more colorful an animal/reptile/plant/fish is, the more of a warning that is to stay away, due to the venemous nature of the species.
I'm not sure how much that applies though..our carpet python, Monty, is gorgeous...but he's really lazy, and squeezes rather than bites.
He's not really bright though. In color I mean, not general intelligence.
(He's not our pet, he just hangs around on the property).

Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
Lived for 15 years in melbourne.
and have travelled most of aus am still living in aus.

Never seen a snake here in my life
Me as well. the only 'dangerous' thing I ever saw was a saltie.. and that's because I went to their habitat at kakadu national park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand