Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I listen to NZ radio and read the Herald online and I too, not even living there, have noticed a spike in crime reports. Any idea why this is happening?
Meth mostly.

Also I think a lot of it is the welfare state with a lot of people sitting around collecting checks and not having anything to wake up to, thus to spend their days getting in trouble.

And the police don't have weapons(with few exceptions) or at least have them handy. We saw in recent weeks two policeman chased down a street and then gunned down. They did not have any weapons to defend themselves. Even giving police officers tasers sent people into a tizzy.

And prison sentences are light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Meth mostly.

Also I think a lot of it is the welfare state with a lot of people sitting around collecting checks and not having anything to wake up to, thus to spend their days getting in trouble.

And the police don't have weapons(with few exceptions) or at least have them handy. We saw in recent weeks two policeman chased down a street and then gunned down. They did not have any weapons to defend themselves. Even giving police officers tasers sent people into a tizzy.

And prison sentences are light.
Agree with everything there, alot of the crime are bums with nothing better to do.

And it really annoys me that the police can't have weapons, everyone cries because it hurts when they get tasered, well if they didn't do the crime or do what they're told they deserve to get tasered.

Lol prison sentences are a joke here, something in which I hope gets fixed quick.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Agree with everything there, alot of the crime are bums with nothing better to do.

And it really annoys me that the police can't have weapons, everyone cries because it hurts when they get tasered, well if they didn't do the crime or do what they're told they deserve to get tasered.

Lol prison sentences are a joke here, something in which I hope gets fixed quick.
All of my Kiwi friends to a tee are looking forward to getting Labor out of the leadership in the government and if that doesn't happen some are going to seriously consider migration. The Labor guvment has gone overboard in handing out checks to all sorts of groups which has inspired laziness and an entitlement attitude from some. In addition the lack of law enforcement and kid glove handling of crooks is causing irritation.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
All of my Kiwi friends to a tee are looking forward to getting Labor out of the leadership in the government and if that doesn't happen some are going to seriously consider migration. The Labor guvment has gone overboard in handing out checks to all sorts of groups which has inspired laziness and an entitlement attitude from some. In addition the lack of law enforcement and kid glove handling of crooks is causing irritation.
Yep I'm definatley going to be voting against Labour as well. My first time voting and I'm really hoping they get chucked out. National have said they will toughen up prision sentences. That almost alone will make me vote them.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 40,060 times
wow alot nz bashing going on here. i think there is hardly any racism(just stupid kids copying american culture that they see on tv). my mum immigrated here from england and married a maori man!! lol no racism there!(actually all my aunties ended up with maori men)

as for bullying going unpunished?? the schools are so much safer than in america and australia. no stabbings or shootings. they dont have police and metal detectors at the front doors. school is what u make of it. if your son is a bright spark he'll do well.

the crime rate is going up, yes, but all we need to do to combat it is change the laws to match the new increase(bigger sentences and more police).

the reason things are more expensive here is because of our dollar. its not that bad, only about $10 more than aussie. and our taxes are nothing compared to the rest of the world. that money gives us cheaper and free medical and dental visits for our children. alot of medicine is either really cheap or free. also free education. emergency services(hospitals, ambulance and fire) etc..

another good point is right now nz is pretty much untouched by all this economic turmoil going on around the globe. same with war, political unrest.

nz is a growing country. we still have alot of years to go. but we have all the bases needed to become a great nation.

and i LOVE the fact that my country embraces our national heritage.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachstoc View Post
wow alot nz bashing going on here. i think there is hardly any racism(just stupid kids copying american culture that they see on tv). my mum immigrated here from england and married a maori man!! lol no racism there!(actually all my aunties ended up with maori men)

as for bullying going unpunished?? the schools are so much safer than in america and australia. no stabbings or shootings. they dont have police and metal detectors at the front doors. school is what u make of it. if your son is a bright spark he'll do well.

the crime rate is going up, yes, but all we need to do to combat it is change the laws to match the new increase(bigger sentences and more police).

the reason things are more expensive here is because of our dollar. its not that bad, only about $10 more than aussie. and our taxes are nothing compared to the rest of the world. that money gives us cheaper and free medical and dental visits for our children. alot of medicine is either really cheap or free. also free education. emergency services(hospitals, ambulance and fire) etc..

another good point is right now nz is pretty much untouched by all this economic turmoil going on around the globe. same with war, political unrest.

nz is a growing country. we still have alot of years to go. but we have all the bases needed to become a great nation.

I agree pretty much with all above, the kids these days have been influenced by the American style gangs. I went to a school which didn't have a very good reputation, and still doesn't now. If you hunker down you can aviod all the troubles, then again you can go looking for it if you get bored or just have a genuine dislike for school.

I think for me that I'm use to seeing pretty much no crime at all. In the past few years its skyrocketed but all in all its still a great place to live. Alot of the kiwis leave for Aussie for high wagers and the sun. Personally I down where I live within 2 hours in the summer I can get the Aussie weather.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachstoc View Post

Wow, do you live in the same NZ that I lived in? Your view is defintely through rose coloured glasses. The health system is in a mess with serious underfunding (I know, I worked in it). NZ is directly affected by the economic turmoil elsewhere, our banking system and stock market plays internationally. Racism is rife in New Zealand last time I looked, huge issues with the maori, asians, refugees. I'm not even going to touch the simplistic idea you have of how to solve the crime problem.

New Zealand is a wonderful place, my home for 40 years, but don't lie about the negative aspects of it. People need to stop seeing NZ as this paradise utopia. It has problems like every other country in the world.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM

i know we have problems, but thats the point, we have the political and social stability to deal with these issues as they arise. unlike alot of countries that cant handle problems and fall apart.

racism is not rife, its ignorance and stereotypes.

and i have to disagree with huge issues with maori- both maori and the government are able to sort thru problems without resulting in riots and warfare so im gonna say we are doing pretty good.

as for the economic problem. people are having their bank accounts frozen in the uk and elsewhere. u wont see that here because, for the most part we are sheltered from the worst.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM

btw i live in south auckland so my view is definitely not through rose coloured glasses. but trust me, what the media portrays and how south auckland really is is totally different. there are law abiding citizens in south auckland too.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Read the news lachstoc;

The New Zealand sharemarket has plummeted nearly 5 per cent today, after United States equities had a terrible day due to recession fears.
The benchmark NZX-50 index is down 133 points to 2771, a fall of 4.8 per cent, following a 44.3-point loss yesterday after gaining 167 points on Tuesday.
source: NZ Herald

You cannot deny the economic effect of the US is felt in NZ, Australia, UK, Canada, in fact almost every country. Market forces in the US produce a ripple effect and being an isolated country dependent on exports, this will have a negative effect on the economy of NZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand