U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,590,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
4. I should have mentioned another Australian trait: don't make social commentary that is in any way derogatory towards Australia/Australians, for some reason, they take it personally.
It's part of whats known as "Tall Poppy Syndrome". Australian's don't like being told we're not successfull, Just as much as we don't like those who are successfull.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM

787 posts, read 1,622,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
It's part of whats known as "Tall Poppy Syndrome". Australian's don't like being told we're not successfull, Just as much as we don't like those who are successfull.
unless they're sports "heroes"

Old 10-18-2008, 02:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,108,550 times
Quote:
1. I said the vast majority, but you somehow read into that, that I pointed my finger at you specifically?
Not at all, I was simply saying minus 1. In other words if you're going to talk about the "vast majority" of Australians and that is how you interpret Australians to be, don't include me in your interpretation.

Quote:
2. I never said anything about anyone having a favourite football team, i said they treat their city and political opinions like they would their football team.
Supposing they have a football team. Again minus 1 because I don't follow the football. Nor do many of the people I associate with. When you refer to "they" ie Australians, you are referring to me and you are incorrect. Just pointing it out. I'm sure you can take it.
Pertaining to cities and political opinions I resent the implication that "they" (meaning me) are incapable of having a well rounded view of either politics or any other city than the one I live in. As I don't follow a football team I'm simply pointing out that I can't treat my city and political opinions as I would my team if I don't have one. I think saying as much is an oversimplification of much of the population who couldn't give two hoots for the "football mentality".

Quote:
3. If you disagree with me, read any forum/discussion when articles such as "x city named best in world" comes up and watch the crossfire. Similar story occurs when politics comes up despite what evidence is thrown in.
Well much of what one reads on a forum or in a discussion can be taken with a grain of salt and when it comes to x city named best in the world that's always going to be subjective isn't it? Same with politics.
Not that one gets much "hard evidence" and "fact" on a forum.

Quote:
4. I should have mentioned another Australian trait: don't make social commentary that is in any way derogatory towards Australia/Australians, for some reason, they take it personally.
I'm not really understanding why you're getting your knickers in a twist and feeling the need to lash out, but whatever floats your boat.
I was simply stating that the comments that you made didn't include me and I hardly think I'm a minority.
I disagree with what you've said and was simply pointing out that you'd made some stereotypical comments. I'm sorry if that makes you feel like being catty and sulking and I'm sorry that your ever so intelligent response was to include more stereotypes. I'm quite sure if you'd said the vast majority of **insert nationality here** and then made a sweeping generalization about that nationality you'd have heard from those people too. It's not you I'm objecting to it's what you've said. I don't like stereotypes.

I based my answers to the OP's initial questions on what THEY were looking for and my location and knowledge of my location. Doesn't mean the OP wouldn't be happier somewhere else or that I wouldn't be happier somewhere else. Ultimately only the OP can decide. Frankly I find most places in this country fabulous for different reasons. But then what would I know? Apparently, according to you, I, along with a vast majority of my countrymen/women are incapable of honest evaluation of our Capital cities and view everything as we would a game of football.

Last edited by moonshadow; 10-18-2008 at 03:07 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Not at all, I was simply saying minus 1. In other words if you're going to talk about the "vast majority" of Australians and that is how you interpret Australians to be, don't include me in your interpretation.
ok, next time i make social commentary about Australians, i'll always include a list of people who are exceptions
Quote:
Supposing they have a football team. Again minus 1 because I don't follow the football.
lol. I'm guessing by the way you keep repeating this comment that you don't know what an analogy is.
Quote:
Not that one gets much "hard evidence" and "fact" on a forum
it's a general observation i and many, many, many others have made from reading numerous forums, letters of opinion, listening to peoples arguments, debates, etc
Quote:
I'm not really understanding why you're getting your knickers in a twist
Yes, defending my opinion is lashing out! Besides, weren't you the one who took exception to my opinion in the first place?

Quote:
I disagree with what you've said and was simply pointing out that you'd made some stereotypical comments.
lol. You made your post about how you're special

Quote:
I based my answers to the OP's initial questions on what THEY were looking for and my location and knowledge of my location.
yes, and I was warning the OP of a trait that seems common among australians. In fact, I just responded in a thread on this forum where the poster said "sydney is australia's only city," but i guess i should've been shocked because it's so uncommon to hear that sort of opinion. There's even a wikipedia article that someone cared to write about Australia's regional rivalries.

Last edited by Spindle; 10-20-2008 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM

493 posts, read 438,923 times
Can we please stop the bickering and get back to the subject? This isn't a good reflection on Australians....this bickering almost makes me want to change my mind and study in Auckland...lol!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,108,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Can we please stop the bickering and get back to the subject? This isn't a good reflection on Australians....this bickering almost makes me want to change my mind and study in Auckland...lol!
Auckland is a great city bmexman! But I can't tell you much about living in it!

As to "bickering" well I was attempting to engage in a light hearted discussion but that appears futile. I've realized I need to employ the same tactic I would on the A&A forum when confronted with an evangelical.
Smile politely, glaze over and back away slowly!

So anyway if you study at the University of Melbourne you'll be spending a lot of time around Carlton most likely which has a large Italian community and some fabulous restaurants and coffee shops.

Lygon St., Carlton

It is also the home of La Mama, a fantastic little theatre where all kinds of interesting new theatre is put on.

La Mama Big Benefit Bash

Then there's Cinema Nova which has all kinds of arthouse movies and discussion groups and visiting speakers.

Cinema Nova

Carlton is also a stone's throw from the city, which you can get to by tram down Swanston Street, where there is all kinds of great shopping to be had especially Collins Street! The shopping in Lygon Street is pretty good too! The city has all kinds of bars, clubs, restaurants, live music, cinema and theatre. Pretty much anything you could want you'll find in Melbourne.

From Melbourne Uni you're also not far from The Queen Victoria Market, which is a great place to stock up on all kinds of yummy fresh food.

Queen Victoria Market - Melbourne's Market (http://www.qvm.com.au/home.php - broken link)

And you'd also be really close to the historical Melbourne City Baths and gym where you could work off any damage done in Lygon Street or at the Market.

City of Melbourne - Melbourne City Baths - Melbourne City Baths - Introduction

There's also the Midsumma Festival here which is great fun!

Midsumma - Home

And some great GLBT nightclubs and bars.

Gay and lesbian nightlife - Gay and lesbian travel - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Anyway, that's just a little bit about Melbourne off the top of my head, there is much more to see and do. Melbourne in a very liveable city.

The other cities that you are looking at also have lots to offer and you might find them more to your liking but I've confined my opinion to the city I know best. Certainly Sydney will also have much of what you are looking for and perhaps the weather there would be more to your liking?
I love all of the cities you are looking at and have enjoyed quite a bit of time in all of them but I'll leave the locals to tell you all about them. Anyway, I hope what I've offered you here helps and if you have any questions or need a hand with anything just sing out. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,180,310 times
My votes for Melbourne thanks to moonshadow's knowledge and presentation!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
You should consider Auckland in your list as well as those Aus cities. Melbourne + Auckland constantly rate highly in the whole standard of living surveys. Also, bickering is fun.

Quote:
As to "bickering" well I was attempting to engage in a light hearted discussion but that appears futile. I've realized I need to employ the same tactic I would on the A&A forum when confronted with an evangelical.
Smile politely, glaze over and back away slowly!
lol

Last edited by Spindle; 10-20-2008 at 10:19 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 12:39 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,113,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
So anyway if you study at the University of Melbourne you'll be spending a lot of time around Carlton most likely which has a large Italian community and some fabulous restaurants and coffee shops.

It is also the home of La Mama, a fantastic little theatre where all kinds of interesting new theatre is put on.

Then there's Cinema Nova which has all kinds of arthouse movies and discussion groups and visiting speakers.

Carlton is also a stone's throw from the city, which you can get to by tram down Swanston Street, where there is all kinds of great shopping to be had especially Collins Street! The shopping in Lygon Street is pretty good too! The city has all kinds of bars, clubs, restaurants, live music, cinema and theatre. Pretty much anything you could want you'll find in Melbourne.

From Melbourne Uni you're also not far from The Queen Victoria Market, which is a great place to stock up on all kinds of yummy fresh food.
Almost makes me want to go back to University again! As long as it was the University of Melbourne. Yes, great location. Was just on Lygon in April. Didn't click that the Uni was right there until I read your message. What a great spot. And Queen Vic Markets are the best in Oz, imo. Great atmosphere, prices, food, everything.

Trying to think whether Perth has anything even remotely similar near any of its universities and the only one I can think of is Notre Dame in Freo. I really like Freo but it's still not anything like what Melbourne has to offer. All the other Unis are in the midst of suburbia. UWA's very pretty, right by the Swan and everything, but not exactly a 'hopping' place. Not sure what public transport is like there. My son goes to ECU in Mt. Lawley. Again, just suburbia.

Yup, I'd pick Melbourne. For what you're after.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM

200 posts, read 970,479 times
Brisbane is a great place with a nice friendly atmosphere as is Perth. Adelaide is much maligned but quite a nice place. Sydney nice to visit but it's too expensive for a student.

Melbourne it the best city in Oz IMHO. I'm not a native Melbournian but I adopted and if I return to Oz it's definitely the place I would go back to. The weather's not that bad by world standard. After living in London for 4 and a half years I actually pine for Melbourne's weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand