Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Almost makes me want to go back to University again! As long as it was the University of Melbourne. Yes, great location. Was just on Lygon in April. Didn't click that the Uni was right there until I read your message. What a great spot. And Queen Vic Markets are the best in Oz, imo. Great atmosphere, prices, food, everything.
It's a great spot! I spent over a decade working in the area and would often go over to Melbourne Uni just to eat lunch on the grass and soak up the atmosphere. As for Lygon Street, well it's one of my favorite places really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Trying to think whether Perth has anything even remotely similar near any of its universities and the only one I can think of is Notre Dame in Freo. I really like Freo but it's still not anything like what Melbourne has to offer..
Different strokes for different folks! I'd probably pic Freo just for something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM

493 posts, read 514,838 times
It's my first visit back in a while! I'm still deciding as of now, but there are some changes.

My top two choices are Sydney (UNSW) and Perth (UWA). Melbourne looks like a nice city, and Melbourne Uni's location is excellent, but Sydney seems to fit my personality a bit more. As for Brisbane, it doesn't have the easy access to beaches that Perth and Sydney do. Also, much of Queensland's attractions are not in Brisbane itself.

Some of you mentioned Auckland is a great place to study, and I agree. New Zealand is actually my #2 choice to study abroad in (if Australia becomes too expensive-NZ is about US$2,500 less). If I go to NZ, I'm definitely going to Auckland.

Others have also mentioned Adelaide. I've also added Adelaide to my list of cities.

If I go to Adelaide, I'll be studying at the University of Adelaide.

Pros: Very well laid-out city, nice beaches, Mediterranean climate, recreation opportunities in the Adelaide Hills
Cons: Comes across as a city that lacks much excitement, lacks diversity

I have another couple questions as well:

What are the most socially liberal and most socially conservative parts of the country, especially cities?
What are the "ghettos" and areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide that should be avoided at night?

Last edited by bmexman; 11-22-2008 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post

Some of you mentioned Auckland is a great place to study
Others have also mentioned Adelaide. I've also added Adelaide to my list of cities. If I go to Adelaide, I'll be studying at the University of Adelaide.

Pros: Very well laid-out city, nice beaches, Mediterranean climate, recreation opportunities in the Adelaide Hills
Cons: Comes across as a city that lacks much excitement, lacks diversity
How many months and what months will you be in Oz?

Uni Adelaide has a beautiful main campus. Adelaide as a city is quite diverse -- it has been attracting migrants from all over the world. And SA is not called the Festival State for nothing--there is always a festival to attend, there is a symphony and opera, the museums are free and fun to explore, the surf at the beaches of the Gulf St. Vincent are calm, beautiful and easily accessible. The wine regions of McClaren Valey, Barossa and Clare Valley remind me of Napa/Sonoma. Kangaroo Island is an amazing weekend trip. The Flinders Ranges will give you a taste of the Outback. And yes, the Adelaide Hills are a pretty respite from the city. Research the name Don Dunstan.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-22-2008 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 04:31 AM

16 posts, read 46,194 times
Default ?

Well, as I read more and more, I'm more and more lost...
Can anyone, objectively, tell me which city is the best choice, when you are looking for a place with opportunities for artists (music, dance, fine art..) to study and get on in the world, cultural events generally, with warm weather (I don't mind transient rain), and nice beaches?

It is actually hard to be absolutely objective, because everyone's have different requierements and experience.. Try pls

Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM

99 posts, read 129,598 times
oh, i am SO glad i found this thread! bmexman, it looks like we're on the same boat! i am also considering Australia for next spring 2010
i was also thinking of either Perth, Melbourne, or Sydney but crossed Perth out from the list. now, i'm just weighing my options between melbourne or sydney.. help! D:

so a bit about me and what i'm looking for:
i'm a 19 years old asian from Boston, USA. i LOVE the city life so i understand each city has their own unique character. i'm looking for a city that has non-stop nightlife, with abundant of clubs and bars to choose from. (by the way..what's the age restriction in AU?)
- a lot of cultural developments (chinatowns, japantown, koreatown, etc!). i know sydney has more asians than melbourne but as long as the city has those certain neighborhoods, it's good enough for me!
- yeah, GOOD public transportation as i am there without my car
- i don't care much for weather. i mean, i wouldn't want to stay in a place that rains 24/7 but as long as there are sunshine, i can live with that.
- how are the lifestyle diff? i heard people in sydney are like the northeast of the U.S..always ina hurry and bustling. and people in melbourne are like the west coast-- san francisco-- people are more laid-back and such. true/false?

and oh, the uni's where i will be studying in will either be La Trobe or Macquarie if that helps where are each located anyways? smack dab in the middle of the city, more suburban area, etc.

thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
and oh, the uni's where i will be studying in will either be La Trobe or Macquarie if that helps where are each located anyways? smack dab in the middle of the city, more suburban area, etc.
thanks!
I found this on the Latrobe website:
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/about/maps
Macquarie is not in the heart of the city either but there is a railway station that just opened up. Each uni's web site should give you better ideas on locations and both should have International Students offices who can be reached with questions.

18 is the drinking age.

Both MEL and SYD have active night life. . Sydney has less rain and has the edge in beaches, MEL has the edge in culture, IMO. I love MEL.
The one thing I appreciated about Uni Adelaide was its location at the cultural precinct - museums and state library were right next door, and shopping, dining and nightlife was one block away. Festival center (operas, symphony) was 5 minute walk. Hope you find something similar at either of the these two Unis.

Sorry I can't personally speak about academics at either of the these Unis.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-17-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

177 posts, read 425,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Hi! I'm a 19-year-old male college student in the USA. I attend UC Riverside, and I plan to study abroad next year in Australia, barring any cost issues, during spring semester 2010 (fall in Australia: Feb-July). I will be studying abroad through the University of California's Education Abroad Program. The only decision I have to make at this point is where in Australia to study. All the universities are located in great locations in each city, and they are all excellent academically. Also, I've found each city has good public transit. I'm trying to decide whether to study in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, or Sydney.

I'm Hispanic, but racism is not a concern of mine.

The pros and cons I've found so far:

If I go to Brisbane, I'll be at the University of Queensland.
Pros: Subtropical climate, close to the Gold Coast, lots of recreational opportunities in Brisbane/Gold Coast, some cultural/ethnic diversity.
Cons: Humidity might get old (SoCal doesn't have much of it), not as ethnically diverse

If I go to Melbourne, I'll be at the University of Melbourne.
Pros: Culturally/ethnically diverse, tons of cultural attractions, best public transit system
Cons: Cold and rainy, no good beaches

If I go to Perth, I'll be at the University of Western Australia.
Pros: Beautiful city, familiar Mediterranean climate, lots of good beaches and parks, some good cultural attractions, some cultural/ethnic diversity
Cons: Isolated; I won't get to see much of the rest of the country, cross-country airfare adds significantly to expenses, not as diverse as Sydney/Melbourne

If I go to Sydney, I'll be at the University of New South Wales.
Pros: It's Sydney. Enough said....ok maybe not...Beautiful city, great beaches, dynamic big city, good enough climate, lots to do, lots of diversity.
Cons: I feel like if I go to Sydney, I'll be "missing out" on the rest of Australia. The EAP orientation is in Sydney, so I'll be there for a few days even if I go to Brisbane, Melbourne, or Perth.

The following are pluses for any Australian city:

Agreeable climate: I've lived in Southern California my whole life, so I need a good climate to adapt to. Highs should be between 65-90 degrees F. Nothing significantly higher/lower, especially for weeks/months at a time.
Big-city nightlife (clubs, bars) and culture (especially museums, zoos, concerts, comedy scene)
Cultural/ethnic diversity
Easily accessible outdoor activities (especially hiking, national parks)
Gay-friendly (I'm a gay man so this matters: not too much into the scene at this point but a scene is a plus)
Good public transit, especially to the city center, beaches, and shopping centers
Nice beaches and city parks
Tons of shopping

Any input is greatly appreciated, especially from people who live in these cities and/or attended these universities!
Sydney is a very multicultural city so you shouldn't experience too much, if any, racism.

Just avoid suburbs where there are large public housing estates ie SW Sydney (Campbelltown, Macquarie Fields, Rosemeadow) and far western suburbs such as Mount Druitt, Werrington and Kingswood. Inner city areas like Redfern are definitely no-go areas at night.

Eastern suburbs and the North Shore as well as the inner west and the city are good areas and include the night-life districts of Kings Cross, Oxford St Darlinghurst, Darling Harbour and George St but those areas have a high level of alcohol-related crime especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

For the gay scene Oxford Street Darlinghurst is where you'll find most of the action. Be aware of the area around Hyde Park - very dangerous in the early hours of the morning and notorious for gay bashings. Sydney definitely is the gay capital of Australia with the second largest gay population in the world after San Fran. Melbourne has a gay community too but it's much more reserved and quieter. The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is held during the first weekend of March every year and attracts up to 500,000 visitors with many coming from America and Europe and runs for 3 weeks with many different events on.

Sydney is definitely a city made for living outdoors, Melbourne more so indoors. Sydney's beaches are very clean and can get packed in the summer months. Bondi Beach is world famous and gets a lot of backpackers from around the world but has it's share of problems and is a bit grotty in some areas. Manly is another well known beach & much bigger in size than Bondi. Other beaches like Coogee, Tamarama (Glamarama to us locals) and Bronte are other great beaches. Avoid Maroubra Beach as there's a lot of problems due to nearby public housing estates (It's often referred to as Mount Druitt-by-the-sea).

Sydney has a lot of shopping centres. Westfield Shoppingtown Bondi Junction is one of the biggest in Australia and has over 350 shops. Other big shopping centres are suited in suburbs like Parramatta, Warringah and Castle Hill. The city centre has many shops as well. Paddy Markets in Haymarket is very popular with tourists and is located in the China quarter. Oxford Street, Paddington is famous for it's clothing boutiques and has a market as well on the weekends in the grounds of the uniting church. King Street in Newtown is renowned for it's numerous cafes and restaurants. More cafes and shops can be found around many areas of the inner suburbs.

Sydney's weather is usually agreeable with a high number of sunny days especially from August - December, this period is also the least humid. Torrential downpours can occur anytime and can rain/shower down for up to 15 days at a time. However dry sunny days can run on for weeks. Humidity during Jan - March can be horrendous at times. Severe storms can be experienced at any time.

Public transport to all major shopping centres and attractions are usually excellent. Ferries are also popular to areas like Manly. Be aware that there are no trains to the universities in Randwick and Newtown, bus is the better option. Macquarie University in Ryde has now got a new train station.

Plenty of great parks, such as Centennial Park, around the city and eastern suburbs. Walking, biking and running can be done in those areas. For hardcore hiking, go to the Blue Mountains which is easily accessible by train.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
UWA is a good uni...of course if I were you I'd go to Brisbane though. Uni of Adelaide is really nice too though.

You hear about uni students getting bashed here on the news but don't let it get to you.

There aren't any ghettos as such here, but more argy-bargy goes on in the eastern, southeastern and northern suburbs. Best not to wander around these suburbs too much alone at night. Places like East Victoria Park, Maddington, Forestfield, Kondoola, Alexander Heights.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,193 times
perth isnt a good city for young people it sucks, dont come to perth its boring the people are un friendly and there are alot of trouble with aboriginals here id say go melbourne its so cheap to fly anywhere else and ive only ever heard good things about melb, perth is a **** hole i lived there for 9 years i know

Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
Hello everyone!!!

My name is Stefani and I am starting University in the US, coming up this August of 2010. I want to study abroad in Brisbane Australia. I am also a tennis player and have offers to play college tennis for some top schools. The only problem is, many schools do not offer a study abroad program right in BRISBANE. I have researched, and most of the programs they offer are in cities such as Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide : ( I really am in love with Brisbane and I would like to be as close to there as possible. Is there anyone here on this thread who can help me out with this whole process. If the University does not offer programs to study abroad in the city you would like, can there be anything else you can do? I see you all are talking about different colleges and universities you will be studying abroad at, but how do the US Universities let you do that, if they do not offer it? Ugh I am sorry many many questions : ( I hope someone can read this and give me some information. Anything at all would be helpful.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand