U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,997,342 times
Reputation: 4630

Advertisements

I would chose Brisbane, then Perth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 AM
 
9 posts, read 20,859 times
Reputation: 23
Perth born and bred, love the place! Laid back, great weather, great fishing. Doesnt have that big city feel , good place to come and relax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,775 times
Reputation: 13
My brother has PR and he stays in Perth from last two years , but recently I got visa type 475 , can he give me sponsorship for PR ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,136 times
Reputation: 14
Hi we are moving to oz and have a choice between perth or Brisbane and I am totally addled - cant make up my mind whcih one will suit me best aaggh!! have a family - 2 young kids - and a 23 year old son - what is important to us is it looks scenic, has lots and lots of activities and things to do , and the people are friendly and easy going! love the beaches in both perth and brisbane , love brisbane cos of things like movie world , the wildlife sounds amazing, and living near the gold coast or barrier reef, on the other hand perth seems to have movies on the beach , says it is family orientated and doesnt seem to have quite as many killer animal thingys! any local perth or brisbane people out there who can give me some inside info on what both of these places have to offer?? the reason we are leaving our own country is to have a better quality of life - have things to do on your doorstep that are entertainment orientated, activity orientated,and social orientated. cheers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,136 times
Reputation: 14
thanks befriend any particular reason why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 PM
 
5,074 posts, read 4,435,128 times
Reputation: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoland View Post
Hi we are moving to oz and have a choice between perth or Brisbane and I am totally addled - cant make up my mind whcih one will suit me best aaggh!! have a family - 2 young kids - and a 23 year old son - what is important to us is it looks scenic, has lots and lots of activities and things to do , and the people are friendly and easy going! love the beaches in both perth and brisbane , love brisbane cos of things like movie world , the wildlife sounds amazing, and living near the gold coast or barrier reef, on the other hand perth seems to have movies on the beach , says it is family orientated and doesnt seem to have quite as many killer animal thingys! any local perth or brisbane people out there who can give me some inside info on what both of these places have to offer?? the reason we are leaving our own country is to have a better quality of life - have things to do on your doorstep that are entertainment orientated, activity orientated,and social orientated. cheers
Depends on which country you are coming from with regards to a better quality of life necessary being found in Australia.

As for location,there are a few points to consider.

Does the fact that Perth is extremely isolated be of concern to you.
It is expensive and far to reach other places.
Tends to be parochial. The local elite tend to maintain tight control.
Perth is expensive for near everything and there is limited choice.
People tend to be difficult to get to know,but in your case having kids may be of help.

I am not in a position to write on Brisbane from the point of experience but have heard it has a little more going for it than Perth,but for me it's location may well point me towards leaning more towards that city.

Search al the British Expat forums,Poms in Oz etc for a range of pro and negative views.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia
1,503 posts, read 2,417,652 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Isn,t it funny the growing number of Australians who prefer other cities to the city they grew up in
This is true, people's preferences also change as they get older, and have different needs and desires.
A place that appears ideal, may not be so, and it often depends on other factors - eg how friendly or welcoming the natives are.
I know of plenty of people who have either retired young, or wanted a lifestyle change, move somewhere- only to end up moving back to where they came from anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,175 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Depends on which country you are coming from with regards to a better quality of life necessary being found in Australia.

As for location,there are a few points to consider.

Does the fact that Perth is extremely isolated be of concern to you.
It is expensive and far to reach other places.
Tends to be parochial. The local elite tend to maintain tight control.
Perth is expensive for near everything and there is limited choice.
People tend to be difficult to get to know,but in your case having kids may be of help.

I am not in a position to write on Brisbane from the point of experience but have heard it has a little more going for it than Perth,but for me it's location may well point me towards leaning more towards that city.

Search al the British Expat forums,Poms in Oz etc for a range of pro and negative views.

I've lived in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia, and have spent many a summer in Queensland.

Perth is more isolated, but extremely isolated is misleading. While it's more expensive to fly to the other Australian capital cities, it's cheaper to fly to the Asian capitals (which are in the same time-zone). I travel as much here in Perth as I did when I lived in the eastern states.

And Perth is more expensive for some things (housing), but cheaper in others (public transport). Due to the mining boom, Perth and Brisbane are both growing (Perth slightly faster), so there's plenty of opportunity in both. Perth has slightly more opportunity reflected by a lower unemployment rate (Queensland 6.0% vs WA 4.4%).

I'm very much scratching my head when you say "local elite". I find it no different then any other city I've lived in, so I have no idea what you mean. There's certainly no real visible class structure like in the UK.

There's something to love about all of the capital cities in Australia, and none are particularly bad. I lived in Adelaide for 6 years - and find it more 'cultural', but prefer the greater vibrancy in Perth. Brisbane is a nice city, and I loved the sub-tropical rainforests not too far away. At the same time I have friends here in Perth from Brisbane who say there's more to do in Perth, which I don't quite get (Brisbane is bigger). I do prefer Melbourne to Perth, but have found my employment opportunities better here in Perth (which has kept me here).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,880,972 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan77 View Post
I've lived in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia, and have spent many a summer in Queensland.

Perth is more isolated, but extremely isolated is misleading. While it's more expensive to fly to the other Australian capital cities, it's cheaper to fly to the Asian capitals (which are in the same time-zone). I travel as much here in Perth as I did when I lived in the eastern states.

And Perth is more expensive for some things (housing), but cheaper in others (public transport). Due to the mining boom, Perth and Brisbane are both growing (Perth slightly faster), so there's plenty of opportunity in both. Perth has slightly more opportunity reflected by a lower unemployment rate (Queensland 6.0% vs WA 4.4%).

I'm very much scratching my head when you say "local elite". I find it no different then any other city I've lived in, so I have no idea what you mean. There's certainly no real visible class structure like in the UK.

There's something to love about all of the capital cities in Australia, and none are particularly bad. I lived in Adelaide for 6 years - and find it more 'cultural', but prefer the greater vibrancy in Perth. Brisbane is a nice city, and I loved the sub-tropical rainforests not too far away. At the same time I have friends here in Perth from Brisbane who say there's more to do in Perth, which I don't quite get (Brisbane is bigger). I do prefer Melbourne to Perth, but have found my employment opportunities better here in Perth (which has kept me here).
Probably a case of the grass is greener again. I'd like anyone to name one thing you can't do in Brissie you can do in Perth...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia
1,503 posts, read 2,417,652 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan77 View Post
I've lived in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia, and have spent many a summer in Queensland.

Perth is more isolated, but extremely isolated is misleading. While it's more expensive to fly to the other Australian capital cities, it's cheaper to fly to the Asian capitals (which are in the same time-zone). I travel as much here in Perth as I did when I lived in the eastern states.

And Perth is more expensive for some things (housing), but cheaper in others (public transport). Due to the mining boom, Perth and Brisbane are both growing (Perth slightly faster), so there's plenty of opportunity in both. Perth has slightly more opportunity reflected by a lower unemployment rate (Queensland 6.0% vs WA 4.4%).

I'm very much scratching my head when you say "local elite". I find it no different then any other city I've lived in, so I have no idea what you mean. There's certainly no real visible class structure like in the UK.

There's something to love about all of the capital cities in Australia, and none are particularly bad. I lived in Adelaide for 6 years - and find it more 'cultural', but prefer the greater vibrancy in Perth. Brisbane is a nice city, and I loved the sub-tropical rainforests not too far away. At the same time I have friends here in Perth from Brisbane who say there's more to do in Perth, which I don't quite get (Brisbane is bigger). I do prefer Melbourne to Perth, but have found my employment opportunities better here in Perth (which has kept me here).
People from Perth are probably the most well-travelled internationally, than anywhere else in Australia.
I know plenty of people in NSW, that have never even been out of the state - or if so, often only briefly or fortuitously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top