U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 8,150,519 times
Reputation: 17770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While distance means less and less these days, it still is a factor, but I was actually thinking Perth's isolation makes it MORE prominent than it otherwise would be. There are dozens of cities in the US and other countries as big as Perth nobody's ever heard of, while Perth is actually comparatively well known in the region.
In the region, okay but not very prominent to the rest of the world. Have met many people overseas over the years, of all nationalities, who have to ask "Perth? Whereabouts is that in Australia?" Not just the allegedly geographically-challenged Americans, but Canadians, Europeans, etc. as well.

Maybe Perth's more prominent to the rest of Oz because they can't bloody figure out why the arse end of nowhere would command such ridiculously high real estate prices?

It's a handy point of entry from parts of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, etc. But perhaps more of a brief skip to the east than a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think Perth is aiming to be the next Sydney or Melbourne, I don't see the point in that, most Perth who come to Perth don't complain because that's what they want.
Except that's what the pollies seem to want and developers. I think they're out of their league myself because as you say, most here don't want that. Many are probably as anti-development as they are because the only options ever presented are huge and garish. Look at that carbuncle on the shores of Scarborough. And then the plans for the foreshore are always these clumps of overbuilt skyscrapers. Why not something more subtle that blends into and complements the terrain?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
 
5,086 posts, read 4,479,479 times
Reputation: 2617
Perhaps Perth is to an extent a little to set in it's ways to enable it to become something more significant.

Not at all convinced that Perth caters well for other lifestyles outside of the mainstream couple with kids.
For a city to be a real city that should allow greater diversity in all forms of living possibilities,one would have thought.

Would agree to an extent that Perth is better known at least in it's neighbourhood than some similar sized USA cities,but then Australia has so few cities and nothing on the West Coast,so rather easier to recall perhaps from geography lessions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Perth, Australia
53 posts, read 98,776 times
Reputation: 81
Oh god, thats embarrassing, I had the idealogy that left wing was like social, as in more resources going towards the human/public sector like education and health...not socialism xD haha
Fail.
ok my bad.

100% agree with vichel in terms of
Quote:
I find Perthlings quite conservative. There's not much independent or creative thinking here. More of a herd mentality, everyone follows and is easily led by scare tactics and stories, paranoid of change. I even find styles to be very homogenous, everyone dressing quite similar, and building/renovating houses similar. Very little individuality or variety compared to other cities I've lived in and been in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 AM
 
5,086 posts, read 4,479,479 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunior View Post
Oh god, thats embarrassing, I had the idealogy that left wing was like social, as in more resources going towards the human/public sector like education and health...not socialism xD haha
Fail.
ok my bad.

100% agree with vichel in terms of
A little confused with what you are trying to articulate here. Are you not in favour of the left as you feel money goes towards education and health?
That being the case where exactley would you prefer the government to spend?

Surely ensuring a first class health and education should be essential in any advanced society?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Perth, Australia
53 posts, read 98,776 times
Reputation: 81
No, no.
Its just that we have had so much money go to wards education and health and that we need to put money towards other sectors at this point in time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
 
5,086 posts, read 4,479,479 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunior View Post
No, no.
Its just that we have had so much money go to wards education and health and that we need to put money towards other sectors at this point in time.
That being the case why is the hospital system here in Perth so under performing them?

Which areas do you consider to be relivant? Where is the social dividend going i wonder from the massive earnings from the boom?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,194 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
The ideas for development and progress are way beyond our needs and abilities, hence they never get off the drawing board. The Dubia-like structures on the foreshore are ridiculous for this sized city, we need to get more realistic. I doubt Perth will become anything world-class or factor big on the world's radar.
I agree that Perth is never going to be (and doesn't want to be) another Sydney or Melbourne, or anything like that size. However the foreshore does need to be redeveloped, and I don't believe the plans are over-the-top. They're no Melbourne's Southbank.

I was looking at the Bureau of Statistics site the other day, and the population of Perth is only 350k less than Brisbane, and yet is growing slightly faster. Yet Brisbane had some really nice tourist precincts when it was Perth's current size, clearly much nicer than the Perth or South Perth foreshore. It's like we're in a time-warp here; consider the beaches here. This is one of the only coast lines where a tourist could possibly die of dehydration before coming across the next cafe they're so few and far between. So much is made of them being 'unspoiled', yet it's not that they're not un-touched - they just haven't changed in 30 years. If you want real unspoiled beaches, then visit the beaches to the north or south - in fact you can find beaches without another set of foot-prints on them within a days drive.

It's like the Bell Tower; locally it's considered a monument that some pompous politician attributed to himself to make up for his own inadequacies. Yet when my family from the eastern states visited, they really liked it - and let's face it, the CBD is boring, and this gave them something to do.

Put into perspective, the Fiona Stanley hospital is costing something like 1.76 billion, yet the foreshore development is only costing 300 million. Meanwhile, Perth is hosting an Asian property investment conference this year that is costing an estimated 230 million. If the foreshore redevelopment increases the tourism rate by just 1%, it would pay for itself with 5 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 51,120,104 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan77 View Post
I agree that Perth is never going to be (and doesn't want to be) another Sydney or Melbourne, or anything like that size. However the foreshore does need to be redeveloped, and I don't believe the plans are over-the-top. They're no Melbourne's Southbank.

I was looking at the Bureau of Statistics site the other day, and the population of Perth is only 350k less than Brisbane, and yet is growing slightly faster. Yet Brisbane had some really nice tourist precincts when it was Perth's current size, clearly much nicer than the Perth or South Perth foreshore. It's like we're in a time-warp here; consider the beaches here. This is one of the only coast lines where a tourist could possibly die of dehydration before coming across the next cafe they're so few and far between. So much is made of them being 'unspoiled', yet it's not that they're not un-touched - they just haven't changed in 30 years. If you want real unspoiled beaches, then visit the beaches to the north or south - in fact you can find beaches without another set of foot-prints on them within a days drive.

It's like the Bell Tower; locally it's considered a monument that some pompous politician attributed to himself to make up for his own inadequacies. Yet when my family from the eastern states visited, they really liked it - and let's face it, the CBD is boring, and this gave them something to do.

Put into perspective, the Fiona Stanley hospital is costing something like 1.76 billion, yet the foreshore development is only costing 300 million. Meanwhile, Perth is hosting an Asian property investment conference this year that is costing an estimated 230 million. If the foreshore redevelopment increases the tourism rate by just 1%, it would pay for itself with 5 years.
I hope the foreshore development lives up to the hype. We can blame Stephenson and Hepburn for their plan 50 years ago to make Perth into a car-dominated industrial mecca. One thing I notice when I compare Perth to the other cities is the tourist attractions are all spread out, while in the other cities they tend to be close to the city centre. Our aquarium AQWA is all the way up in Hillary's, and isn't even that well served by public transport, our zoo is across the river (albeit accessible by ferry for tourists), our botanical gardens are up in King's Park (which is probably the most scenic of the botanical gardens) and the city itself doesn't feel as connected as it should.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
 
9,336 posts, read 20,630,227 times
Reputation: 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope the foreshore development lives up to the hype. We can blame Stephenson and Hepburn for their plan 50 years ago to make Perth into a car-dominated industrial mecca. One thing I notice when I compare Perth to the other cities is the tourist attractions are all spread out, while in the other cities they tend to be close to the city centre. Our aquarium AQWA is all the way up in Hillary's, and isn't even that well served by public transport, our zoo is across the river (albeit accessible by ferry for tourists), our botanical gardens are up in King's Park (which is probably the most scenic of the botanical gardens) and the city itself doesn't feel as connected as it should.
Can one live in Perth without a car? I was able to do it in Adelaide easily living by the centre. When I bought a car it was to go to wine country. I left it home during the week.

Btw pretty much every new yorker has crossed the Hudson, I've never met anyone who hasn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
 
31 posts, read 50,117 times
Reputation: 28
Melbourne - been to melbourne. it's like san francisco without the bums; however, their summers can get crazy hot. like >100 F hot.

Brisbane - flooding?

Perth - I've heard nice things about this city, particularly because of its petro/mining (direct flights to houston/dallas)

Adelaide - be a nice place to settle. probably very safe, since Oz's defense factories are here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top