U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,345 times

Advertisements

will be finishing college in june next year and have started making plans to move to australia to live. Am already aware about the cost of living and employment prospects, so i'm not requiring any information relating to that.
Basically, i want some help and information about what options there are to move my belongings with me. currently that is just all personal belongings with no furniture. Four years worth of text books need to come as well.
What options are available to me? and what sort of price should i be budgeting for.
Has anyone been through this process recently????
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,166,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch View Post
Basically, i want some help and information about what options there are to move my belongings with me. currently that is just all personal belongings with no furniture. Four years worth of text books need to come as well.
What options are available to me? and what sort of price should i be budgeting for.
Has anyone been through this process recently????
Thanks.
Haven't been thru it recently. 1999 was when we moved three-bedroom house worth of stuff, including furniture, four of us. Used Allied Pickfords, who were great for us. Shipped it in a 20ft container, plus some excess in a shared shipment in another container. Vancouver to Perth, by ship to Sydney, rail to Perth. $11,000. This price included them packing, unpacking, shipping, arranging Customs and Quarantine, and insurance. Well worth it, as things are pricey here compared to North America. Plus it's just nice to have your old stuff around you.

If you don't need a whole container, they'll do a partial container, and you share the container with other small shipments.

Call up 3 shippers, have them come around and quote you.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM

thanks for the reply. I don't have that much stuff to move as i'm just graduating college.
does anyone know of any moving companies to contact for some assistance.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 PM

6 posts, read 37,992 times
Quote:
Four years worth of text books need to come as well.
i mean no offence but if i were you i would sell / give away these text books.......

i know i have carried text books all over australia and never really looked in them again after i graduated.

do you really think you will open them?

now i am moving to the UK so i gave them all away to a charity place

if your young, just bring your clothes and all that you can fit in the suitcases you bring with you...... the rest can be replaced with the amount of money / time you will spend sending it i reckon

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,156,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheel View Post
i mean no offence but if i were you i would sell / give away these text books.......

i know i have carried text books all over australia and never really looked in them again after i graduated.

do you really think you will open them?

now i am moving to the UK so i gave them all away to a charity place

if your young, just bring your clothes and all that you can fit in the suitcases you bring with you...... the rest can be replaced with the amount of money / time you will spend sending it i reckon
Exactly, for all the money/time you would spend sending it, you could buy new stuff in Australia.

I remember holding onto some textbooks and it proved to be a waste of space. The information in those books gets dated very quickly anyways depending on the profession.

I have dealt with a lot of young people traveling internationally and have done it myself and the best advice is to travel light and buy what you need on the ground. If you can't fit it into two suitcases it's too much. Get rid of it or stuff it in your parents garage. I've laughed when the yearly lot of Australians and Kiwis coming over here to the states to work with us would bring bedsheets and pots and pans. Instead we started warning them of the folly of such and when they got here we'd take em to Wal mart to buy linens and kitchen utensils on the cheap.

If you are young and are moving into an apartment in another country, buy stuff from IKEA or second hand stores.

Jwinch exactly how much personal stuff do you have that you need to take with you?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 PM

thanks for the replies. Its clothing and personal items. not taking anything electical except the laptop. Really need the textbooks as they are directed related to my profession. No need for 'the home stuff' as my partner already lives there and will be providing all that stuff. Thank goodness for that.
i know i will have more than 2 suitcases to take with me as this is a life move. Just wanting to know if there is a cheaper way than boxing up my stuff and using FedEx or Ups to move my stuff. How do i get my boxes shipped, who with, how and how much.
Right now not sure how much stuff, but just think of how much stuff one has in there room at college after 4 years of study, minus the furniture.
thanks for all the help so far.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,156,075 times
Quote:
thanks for the replies. Its clothing and personal items. not taking anything electical except the laptop. Really need the textbooks as they are directed related to my profession. No need for 'the home stuff' as my partner already lives there and will be providing all that stuff. Thank goodness for that.
i know i will have more than 2 suitcases to take with me as this is a life move. Just wanting to know if there is a cheaper way than boxing up my stuff and using FedEx or Ups to move my stuff. How do i get my boxes shipped, who with, how and how much.
Right now not sure how much stuff, but just think of how much stuff one has in there room at college after 4 years of study, minus the furniture.
thanks for all the help so far.
Honestly for a recently graduated college student for what you have in your room that is not disposable should fit into two suitcases/bags. If it isn't

Having done this before as well as many, many friends or work colleages doing the same, my recommendation would be to go though all your stuff and throw out everything except for things you can not absolutely live without. I'd really look at each item individually and say "am I really going to need this in Australia?" and if not toss it, including clothes by the way. I'm shocked at the number of papers and junk university aged people bring with them and never ever look at or use. Honestly your textbooks, not to make light of it, but in the real world most of them are probably useless. I think no matter what shipping option you use, when you add up the cost of shipping for the weight of the textbooks you'll be surprised.

Whatever you have left I'd box up securely and use DHL or UPS or Fedex Air freight. I've used DHL and Fed-ex freight and I don't think the prices are bad for what it is.

Some of my friends have also inquired with the airlines and often have shipped a huge duffle bag or some type of hard container with their goods and just paid the overweight charges along with their luggage.

If you are really insistant on bringing hundreds and thousands of pounds of stuff with you there are international moving companies like Allied that can help. I would recommend using a well known professional moving company that does that as their business, not a shady shipping company.

In order to get a shipping cost, you'll need to get everything boxed up first and get it weighed and then request quotes from moving companies or DHL, UPS, etc.

I used to deal with 150 Australian and Kiwi university students every year moving back and forth from there to the USA and back, so I've been down this road hundreds of times over.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,166,695 times
jwinch, I seem to recall some English people I talked to a while back saying they got a "migrant baggage allowance" with the airline they flew with here. It allowed them to bring extra weight, without paying. Sorry, I don't have more details, it was just a brief mention. You might want to ask the airline you plan to use about this, in case they have such an alllowance.

If you do go with a shipping company, look in the Yellow Pages for such companies in your area. All I can think of is Allied since that's who we used. I don't remember the other two companies we got quotes from but even if I did, they may not do business in your area.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,674,040 times
I dunno where you are, but when I left Oz to move back to North America, Australia post had a special rate for sending books.. its on the slow boat, but it will get there.. I know the US PO has media mail, but dunno if that includes international destinations

Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM

thanks about the mail option, but the damn US postal service stopped there snail mail option of going by sea. If they still had that option would have just sent the stuff with them and payed the cost.
I;ll have to check with the airlines and the postal service to see what options they can provide. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand