Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:30 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times

Advertisements

I might be able to live in Australia for a couple months next summer. To tell you the truth, I don't know too much about life in Australia other than from the Aussies I've met and stuff online. Something is appealing about it though. Anyways, what city would you suggest I live in if I go?

Hopefully I'll be able to get an internship at a company I know that has a presence in Australia. But, if I don't get the internship-or if they won't send me to Australia, what would you suggest I do to find work that would support me while over there?
Alot of 3rd party organizations come on my university campus offering "placements" of internships worldwide but something doesn't seem right about having to pay to work. An unpaid internship I can understand, if it will give me great experience, but do you all think they are a scam? (if you've heard of them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
The best thing to do, based on my experience with hundreds of friends and former coworkers that have done this, is to go though BUNAC. There are a few other companies that facilitate student work or volunteer programs, but the consensus from what I know is that BUNAC is the best. You can find them via a web search.

Internships are a whole different deal and I don't know much about that. Through BUNAC you can get a 4 month work visa for Australia.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks wanneroo. What city would you recommend?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
Stay away from anyone who asks you to pay to work, that screams "SCAM"

Old 10-31-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Stay away from anyone who asks you to pay to work, that screams "SCAM"
Yes, that is what I figure. How would you recommend I go about getting temporary work in Australia. I've heard BUNAC is good for handling the red tape needed but how could I secure an actual job?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Thanks wanneroo. What city would you recommend?
I guess it depends what you are looking for. Also I found in Australia some places I had high expectations of that fell flat and other places I wouldn't have thought much of, I really ended up liking.

Sydney- kind of the San Francisco of Australia.
Brisbane, Gold and Sunshine Coast- kind of like Florida.
Melbourne- like Pittsburgh or Boston on the Ocean.
Adelaide- Southern California without the masses of millions of people.
Perth- One of the last places in Australia I've not been to yet, but from what I know it has a climate and culture like California.
Canberra- If you like government and civics, this is the place.
Darwin- the Everglades thousands of kilometers from anywhere.

There are also a number of smaller regional towns and cities if you want a more rural feel.

You mentioned you didn't know much about Australia, so coming on here to ask questions is good, but I would get some guidebooks from the library or bookstore and start reading up on the different cities to get a feel for the local cultures and geography.

There is plenty of short term work available for uni aged students(backpackers). In terms of getting internships that might be a bit harder, but certainly something worth researching.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I guess it depends what you are looking for. Also I found in Australia some places I had high expectations of that fell flat and other places I wouldn't have thought much of, I really ended up liking.

Brisbane, Gold and Sunshine Coast- kind of like Florida.
Perth- One of the last places in Australia I've not been to yet, but from what I know it has a climate and culture like California.
Canberra- If you like government and civics, this is the place.
Darwin- the Everglades thousands of kilometers from anywhere.

There are also a number of smaller regional towns and cities if you want a more rural feel.

You mentioned you didn't know much about Australia, so coming on here to ask questions is good, but I would get some guidebooks from the library or bookstore and start reading up on the different cities to get a feel for the local cultures and geography.

There is plenty of short term work available for uni aged students(backpackers). In terms of getting internships that might be a bit harder, but certainly something worth researching.
Thanks for the advice!
Absolutely, I do plan on doing actual research on these cities, but I love to get info from places like CD where you can get opinions not usually offered by cut-and-dry guide books.

My first choice is to get a business internship but if I can't get that then I'm open for most anything else. Is it easy for Americans to get work at hotels, restaurants, or bars/pubs?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Thanks for the advice!
Absolutely, I do plan on doing actual research on these cities, but I love to get info from places like CD where you can get opinions not usually offered by cut-and-dry guide books.

My first choice is to get a business internship but if I can't get that then I'm open for most anything else. Is it easy for Americans to get work at hotels, restaurants, or bars/pubs?
It is easy to get such work as Australia depends on foreign backpackers on working holidays for staff in hotels, restaurants and pubs, especially in touristy areas. There are also jobs in the ski villages in NSW and Victoria and seasonal work in vineyards and on farms. I've also had friends that have worked in construction as well. If you get your 4 month visa you'll be legal to work any job for that period.

Also I remember there was talk of a 1 year visa to work in Australia like other countries and after looking at the Bunac website it looks like that agreement between the USA and Australia was agreed. So now you can get a 1 year visa.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
-> I actually think Sydney is more LA. The sprawl and the coastal setting.

-> Melbourne is more San Francisco, trams, hills, coffee culture, artsy vibe

-> Cross between southern Cali with British colonial architecture and parklands, yet close to magnificent wine regions that do remind me of Napa and Sonoma (I'm an ex Northern Californian). I used to live in Adelaide. I loved the lifestyle there but I'm a foodie/wine lover so it was perfect for me.

Perth- One of the last places in Australia I've not been to yet, but from
what I know it has a climate and culture like California.
-> It does feel isolated from the rest of Oz..
above I added my thoughts...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 AM

129 posts, read 555,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
above I added my thoughts...
just a note about perth. it may seem to you as perth feels isolated, but if fact perth people are very self assured and confident and don,t feel isolated. Perth is a very modern city with fully developed infrastructire.Perth also has the newest trainlines in australia,but does have some shady characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand