Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,996 times

Advertisements

I first read about NZ in the online magazine Escape from America and it has been on my mind ever since. Last year I started looking into actually going there. Seems like there are quite a few Americans moving there. My question is, who are they? Are they the conservatives, liberals, both, neither? Just those who are tired of the political scene here, or just looking for adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 34,162 times
I'm an American in Auckland for just a couple of years. The people you encounter in day to day life are so much friendlier than any other place in the US I've lived and worked. Love the European immigrants a lot! Seems kiwis aren't real crazy about Americans though. You'd never know if they hated you because they still treat you nice.

The homes here are built very very cheaply, and you'll freeze your bum off most of the year. Not that it's cold, but because you'll never actually get your bones warm for months at a time. Most people wear several layers of winter wear just to watch tv. I have friends from some of the coldest places in the world who say they've never been colder than they have here. Right now though it's very nice and warm. It stays warm about 5 months of the year. Also, because the dwellings are built so cheaply (insulation is rare here) you can hear the most private moments from neighbors in the next dwelling. So watch what you say if you want to stay private.

Kiwis also seem to snoop a lot. You can bet there is usually always someone watching you from the dwelling on the higher elevations. There is really no such thing as privacy. I've been told it is a kiwi culture thing. There is no such thing as anonymity.

The job market has suffered recently and the companies don't hesitate to lay people off due to downsizing. Also, never ever expect any compliments on your work - not even if you land a huge American contract for your kiwi company. It's just not done here and you must be able to accept that nobody will be greatful for anything you do above and beyound the call of duty.

The cost of living is about 3 times what it is in most California metro cities. And the quality of most anything you get here you will pay more than you've ever paid and the quality will be crap. Apparently China only imports the cheapest things ever to such a small market. And NZ exports anything worth selling to the US leaving us with the rejects (food items)

Now before people respond, I remind you, this is just my opinion. Even with all my complaints, I will miss two aspects most, going on hikes all alone with no worries is amazing, the people are courteous, and the beauty is stunning. But it will be nice to live on less than what I'm living here.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I first read about NZ in the online magazine Escape from America and it has been on my mind ever since. Last year I started looking into actually going there. Seems like there are quite a few Americans moving there. My question is, who are they? Are they the conservatives, liberals, both, neither? Just those who are tired of the political scene here, or just looking for adventure.
Hilarious! Only in America!!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Hilarious! Only in America!!

Hey! How do you think our ancestors ended up in America? Heard of a place that might be better than the one they were in and it would be an adventure to boot....and what an adventure it was. Why should their kids be any different?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca48 View Post
I'm an American in Auckland for just a couple of years. The people you encounter in day to day life are so much friendlier than any other place in the US I've lived and worked. Love the European immigrants a lot! Seems kiwis aren't real crazy about Americans though. You'd never know if they hated you because they still treat you nice.

The homes here are built very very cheaply, and you'll freeze your bum off most of the year. Not that it's cold, but because you'll never actually get your bones warm for months at a time. Most people wear several layers of winter wear just to watch tv. I have friends from some of the coldest places in the world who say they've never been colder than they have here. Right now though it's very nice and warm. It stays warm about 5 months of the year. Also, because the dwellings are built so cheaply (insulation is rare here) you can hear the most private moments from neighbors in the next dwelling. So watch what you say if you want to stay private.

Kiwis also seem to snoop a lot. You can bet there is usually always someone watching you from the dwelling on the higher elevations. There is really no such thing as privacy. I've been told it is a kiwi culture thing. There is no such thing as anonymity.

The job market has suffered recently and the companies don't hesitate to lay people off due to downsizing. Also, never ever expect any compliments on your work - not even if you land a huge American contract for your kiwi company. It's just not done here and you must be able to accept that nobody will be greatful for anything you do above and beyound the call of duty.

The cost of living is about 3 times what it is in most California metro cities. And the quality of most anything you get here you will pay more than you've ever paid and the quality will be crap. Apparently China only imports the cheapest things ever to such a small market. And NZ exports anything worth selling to the US leaving us with the rejects (food items)

Now before people respond, I remind you, this is just my opinion. Even with all my complaints, I will miss two aspects most, going on hikes all alone with no worries is amazing, the people are courteous, and the beauty is stunning. But it will be nice to live on less than what I'm living here.
I'm an Aucklander. I do agree with some of what you say here. Many houses are not properly insulated and DAMP. Arrrgggh the damp drives me nuts! Many houses built after the 60s seem to suffer the most and many house built since the 90s were built with materials and designs not suited to the Auckland climate, hence you have the 'leaky house' scandals. I'd avoid most 'new' houses there like the plague. Pre-60s houses are the most solidly constructed.

Some of what you say about kiwi attitudes is most likely down to some perplexing (at least to an outsider) cultural nuances. For example, what you say about compliments - that's a very kiwi thing. Kiwis tend to suffer from 'tall poppy syndrome' (even more than aussies) and as part of that compliments in the workplace are probably dished out very judiciously. I don't think its about appreciation or lack thereof, it's how kiwis generally operate.

I think in the kiwi workplace people don't think they should 'stroke egos' as it were, and the worst thing you could be seen to be having is a 'big head'. Everybody wants to avoid looking like a suck-up, or being big-headed. American workers may operate differently and may expect more feedback in that respect. It's probably also why many kiwis consider Americans quite 'gushy' and shrink away from it.

That's my take on it, I'm not criticizing you at all, I just see those differences being rooted in the nuances of the different cultures.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hey! How do you think our ancestors ended up in America? Heard of a place that might be better than the one they were in and it would be an adventure to boot....and what an adventure it was. Why should their kids be any different?
I think its a great idea! There's obviously a market for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM

I read an article, that said over 1.5 mil Americans are leaving America every year, since the 80's. Seems to be a little higher when the republicans are in office, but still almost the same with the Dems. Hens the question. I is quite costly to move to another country, so it is not the poor who are leaving. And large amounts of money are leaving with them.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 34,162 times
Default what a deal

Quote:

In spite of the things that were hard to adjust to, it will be sad to have to leave. But I must. So if you're planning on coming to Auckland, I've got a nice clean, new flat that I'm renting. It's in one of the nicest places I've found. Beautiful views, yet close enough to the CBD. I would be willing to sell everything in it. All you would have to do is move in and take over the rent payments. (I can't afford to ship everything I've accumulated).

since the kiwi dollar is now close to 50 cents, you would get a very good deal.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM

If it were 3 years from now, I'd take you up on it, but I have one more kid to get through school, so I'll have to wait. If you don't mind me asking, what was hard to adjust to?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dca48 View Post

That is one thing I find is anything imported is expensive and not always the best quality. I remember the first real eye opener I had was when I bought contact lens cleaner which was $27.00. I had been buying the stuff at Wal Mart back home for $3.00. One of my close NZ friends insists he eats better NZ lamb here in the USA than back in NZ.

I'm eligible for the one year visa deal and I'm thinking about using it in a year or so, but I think I could only go for a few months at a time. I noticed on my last trip I was starting to become lethargic with NZ and bored because I've been to every corner of the country. There are higher costs and taxes associated with living there and I don't think I could commit to living there right now in the prime of my working life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand