Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One way to go to Perth and bypass the crappy Los angeles airport or the east coast airports in Australia is to fly Emirates from NYC to Dubai and then Emirates on to Perth.

Any way you do it in terms of going to Western Australia, it is going to be a long trip.
Actually coming from NYC/Newark other options to Perth, bypassing the east coast airports would be Malaysian, Singapore and Cathay Pacific.

From the west coast of north America to Perth, options include (to bypass MEL or SYD):
Air New Zealand has a non-stop from Auckland to Perth.
V Australia or United have flights to Brisbane and from there can catch a Brisbane-Perth flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Actually coming from NYC/Newark other options to Perth, bypassing the east coast airports would be Malaysian, Singapore and Cathay Pacific.

From the west coast of north America to Perth, options include (to bypass MEL or SYD):
Air New Zealand has a non-stop from Auckland to Perth.
V Australia or United have flights to Brisbane and from there can catch a Brisbane-Perth flight.
I plugged in some random dates on Orbitz from JFK to Perth, just to see what it would cough up, since I'll be looking at this trip at some point anyways.

Qantas is the cheapest at $1600 NYC-LAX-SYD-PER.

Singapore proved to be unworkable as you have to change planes in Frankfurt and again in Singapore and it was $2600.

Cathay Pacific looked to be workable. 15hrs to Hong Kong and then direct to Perth. $1800.

Emirates via Dubai I think was around $2100.

I think if I went through Auckland or Sydney to Perth that I would just book the ticket to Auck or Syd and then go two days later to Perth. It is two flights for me to get to LAX and then after the trans pacific flight that would be too uncomfortable for another leg out to Perth.

I guess another option is to fly to LAX, overnight one day and then fly the two legs. That way I don't have to worry about US Air not sending my bag over to Qantas.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Our next trip to the US will be Perth to Brisbane to LA. 22.5 hrs going there, 21.5 coming back. Hellishly long. You can do it via Sydney in about 19 hrs. Still hellishly long.

Yes, living in Perth makes the trip longer because of that extra leg, which includes the 2hrs you need to get to the airport before the flight, the flight, plus the connection time btwn the first leg and the second.

We looked into other options but they had very long connection times, some as long as 11 hrs. Price has a lot to do with our flight choices, although not if it has us flying around on some nightmarish milk run. We just want to get there as quickly as we can with the least amount of fuss. I don't have much patience left after a sleepless 11 to 13 hours on a plane in cattle class.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Our next trip to the US will be Perth to Brisbane to LA. 22.5 hrs going there, 21.5 coming back. Hellishly long. You can do it via Sydney in about 19 hrs. Still hellishly long.

Yes, living in Perth makes the trip longer because of that extra leg, which includes the 2hrs you need to get to the airport before the flight, the flight, plus the connection time btwn the first leg and the second.

We looked into other options but they had very long connection times, some as long as 11 hrs. Price has a lot to do with our flight choices, although not if it has us flying around on some nightmarish milk run. We just want to get there as quickly as we can with the least amount of fuss. I don't have much patience left after a sleepless 11 to 13 hours on a plane in cattle class.
18 hours in economy sounds like a real drag; I find sitting in one spot for 6 hours long enough. When I go to the US I'll ideally stop in Hawaii for a few days.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:

Are flights typically more expensive from Perth to eastern North America,
or about the same price, just with extra time being wasted?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM

did the Cathay Pacific have a layover in Vancouver.

check flights out of EWR (Newark)... Singapore has a non-stop to Sing and Cathay Pacific has a non-stop to HK. From there, they have flights to Perth.

I always look at orbitz/travelocity then check the airline web sites..

I found a pleasant way to go was Malaysian with an overnight (or 2) stay in Kuala Lumpur. I was awake the whole way to KL, by the time we got to \ KL it was night time so it was perfect.. I just went to bed and no jet lag! And I got to enjoy bumming around KL (foodie heaven). Flight attendants were very nice and helpful.. I asked about public transport from KLIA to the city and she came back and had hand written directions for me. From there they had a non-stop to Adelaide (they also have non-stops to Perth).

My other favorite way was Air Tahiti as I had a free layover in Tahiti for a few days and they booked a Radisson hotel for me.. I had a very nice ocean view room for 80 dollars per night! And food was good (french) and the wine was good. I think theirflights from JFK are seasonal but I do know they fly out of LAX year round.

Have you flown Emirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I plugged in some random dates on Orbitz from JFK to Perth, just to see what it would cough up, since I'll be looking at this trip at some point anyways.

Qantas is the cheapest at $1600 NYC-LAX-SYD-PER.

Singapore proved to be unworkable as you have to change planes in Frankfurt and again in Singapore and it was $2600.

Cathay Pacific looked to be workable. 15hrs to Hong Kong and then direct to Perth. $1800.

Emirates via Dubai I think was around $2100.

I think if I went through Auckland or Sydney to Perth that I would just book the ticket to Auck or Syd and then go two days later to Perth. It is two flights for me to get to LAX and then after the trans pacific flight that would be too uncomfortable for another leg out to Perth.

I guess another option is to fly to LAX, overnight one day and then fly the two legs. That way I don't have to worry about US Air not sending my bag over to Qantas.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Are flights typically more expensive from Perth to eastern North America,
or about the same price, just with extra time being wasted?
Yes they are more expensive. You can go to www.qantas.com and plug in some destinations and pull prices up.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM

You should check out V America! They fly from Brisbane to LA. I'm dying to try them. You;d need to do VirginBlue from Perth to Brisbane

At least you are not going to the east coast of the US and flying via Europe.. now talk about long flights.. that is at least 30 hours (or longer) and is more expensive to boot! If I recall I flew Newark to Dubai (12 hours), Dubai to Kuala Lumpur (7 hours) then Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide (7-8 hours), with the layover in Dubai and the night I had to spend in KL (flight to Adeliade was next day) that was way more than 30 hours travel time!

I was lucky to get a flight last December from Toronto-to Adelaide, via Auckland and Vancouver for $1,300US with tax. I liked having the stops in Vancouver and Auckland to stretch and shop and get food. And Air New Zealand was all right.

Quote:

Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
18 hours in economy sounds like a real drag; I find sitting in one spot for 6 hours long enough. When I go to the US I'll ideally stop in Hawaii for a few days.
I did that via Jetstar once. And their prices for Star Class (business class) was not bad. They fly to HNL from SYD and MEL. Not a bad way to go except I hate SYD and MEL airports.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM

That is one thing to think about is the Hawaii option. It would be nice to have a few days there to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand