Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
All in all I think 'bogan' has been used quite negatively too, and it annoys me. Many 'bogans' are much better people than pretentious, 'sophisticated' people.
Reminds me of lyrics to a country song:

"... and a better class of 'loser' suits me fine..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM

34 posts, read 84,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Thanks, we needed an Aussie to tell people what a North American category means.
(actually an American term, and I'm a Canadian, but have many American friends )

Again, to me a great example of a redneck is "Earl" on "My Name is Earl."
"Tim Taylor" on "Home Improvement" could be described a "redneck" too, on more looser terms of the definition.
"Redneck" doesn't make anyone more likely to be racist;
the only difference is a redneck who is racist already might be more likely to be openly racist.

In Canada, I know a guy about my age and of Indian ancestry who I would describe as "quite redneck"...
and he probably wouldn't mind being described that way.

I think theres quite a difference between rednecks in america and australia and canada and europe too.

each would have there own definition

Even among australians there will be disagreement about what a redneck is.
I agree with you about the racism part is not a redneck.
I consider a redneck someone who is in favour of wars,suppression ,enforcement , violence and killing so by that definition the armed forces has plenty of rednecks and some police and prison officers and criminals are also redneck in nature. It has little to do with racism and racists who are found everywhere and in every income and educational level.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
To me a redneck is xenophobic, and exhibits boorish parochialism as well as often being overty prejudiced.
It is often more applicable to individuals from smaller towns that "don't like outsiders", than cityslickers.
Hence the old assertion that country people are friendlier than city people, is a big crock of s@#!
You need to be "born there" to be one of them, and who would want to be one of them anyway.
The terms yobbo and bogan are more self-explantory and stereotypical, and have been defined under other threads.
In NSW, the term "westie" is still commonly used for a bogan type individual.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times
What ever happened to the good old term 'bodgie'?

When I left Oz in the 70's, there were lots of bodgies and widgies. Now, they're nowhere to be found

Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
What ever happened to the good old term 'bodgie'?

When I left Oz in the 70's, there were lots of bodgies and widgies. Now, they're nowhere to be found

The Widgies and The Bodgies, now that's a blast from the past. They'd all be middle aged now and causing mayhem at the nearest 50's/60's rock'n'roll revial show.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-01-2010 at 05:44 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,290 times
Wow this is an eye-opener.

I thought 'redneck' was a real derogatory term in America as well as Australia.

To me it conjours mental pictures of a loud mouthed racist uneducated farmer in dungarees.

Fancy calling Tim Allen a redneck. - I never knew it didn't mean 'uneducated racist' in the US.

I figured I learned the meaning from too much American TV, now I don't know where I learnt it.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Wow this is an eye-opener.

I thought 'redneck' was a real derogatory term in America as well as Australia.

To me it conjours mental pictures of a loud mouthed racist uneducated farmer in dungarees.

Fancy calling Tim Allen a redneck. - I never knew it didn't mean 'uneducated racist' in the US.

I figured I learned the meaning from too much American TV, now I don't know where I learnt it.
It can be a derogatory term, but sometimes it's meant more "tongue-in-cheek," making fun of their lack of sophistication.

Most people might be confused about hearing Tim Taylor (Home Improvement character ) as being described as a redneck, but listen to the lyrics of some American country music and you'll get a better idea of what southerners and some Americans consider redneck instead. Southerners invented the term, but it was used by other Americans to be slang for racist. Perhaps even Hollywood...Yet at the same time, you'll also see Hollywood use redneck in the original meaning, like in the Dukes of Hazzard, sheriff Rosco says "...it'll break their redneck hearts..." refering to the Duke boys, and they were never racist. Occaisionally sexist? Yes, but this show was filmed in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Probably around the same time as other Americans first heard the word "redneck",
Southerners-themselves might have been synonymous with "racist" to many Americans,
so there would have been no need to distinguish.

I have no problem with Aussies or Kiwis using it to mean something different however, as there are already plenty of words we use differently. But I thought it might be interesting to hear "all sides."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-01-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM

34 posts, read 84,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It can be a derogatory term, but sometimes it's meant more "tongue-in-cheek," making fun of their lack of sophistication.

Most people might be confused about hearing Tim Taylor (Home Improvement character ) as being described as a redneck, but listen to the lyrics of some American country music and you'll get a better idea of what southerners and some Americans consider redneck instead. Southerners invented the term, but it was used by other Americans to be slang for racist. Perhaps even Hollywood...Yet at the same time, you'll also see Hollywood use redneck in the original meaning, like in the Dukes of Hazzard, sheriff Rosco says "...it'll break their redneck hearts..." refering to the Duke boys, and they were never racist. Occaisionally sexist? Yes, but this show was filmed in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Probably around the same time as other Americans first heard the word "redneck",
Southerners-themselves might have been synonymous with "racist" to many Americans,
so there would have been no need to distinguish.

I have no problem with Aussies or Kiwis using it to mean something different however, as there are already plenty of words we use differently. But I thought it might be interesting to hear "all sides."

Yes lets please seperate the definitions by country as it should be, also
by what your saying about the Us story of redneck, it sounds like the US southerners and northerners each had there own definition for redneck. We all know the northerners won the US civil war. so it sounds like the victorious northerners made a sought of parody of the southern definition of redneck and turned it into a word that condones opponents of multiracial multiculturalism which is todays US in many areas.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspurr View Post
Yes lets please seperate the definitions by country as it should be, also

by what your saying about the Us story of redneck, it sounds like the US southerners and northerners each had there own definition for redneck. We all know the northerners won the US civil war. so it sounds like the victorious northerners made a sought of parody of the southern definition of redneck and turned it into a word that condones opponents of multiracial multiculturalism which is todays US in many areas.
No worries.

Perhaps at the time when P.C. notions were almost non-existant, most people didn't bother to correct assumptions of whether it was or wasn't "racist", either the "self-described rednecks" or the people throwing it around as a derogatory term... with this slang word out-lasting that era.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 PM

53 posts, read 108,923 times
I don't know, as someone who lives in the North (Massachusetts), usually redneck meant these things first:

-very conservative political beliefs
-heavily religious (see: bible belt)
-uneducated
-poor

Racism is a part of it, but I'd say it's less than the political/religious aspects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand