Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
Just some things that are sometimes confused by some people in the Australian public who have little experience with these three groups -- yes there is a difference.

A bogan is someone of the lower income bracket and is the only one that is determined based on socio-economic grounds. However, a bogan's actions are another determinant. A bogan will act "Aussie": cars, beer, jimmy barnes etc. Bogans often are actually very nice people.

A yobbo on the other hand can be from any socio-economic class, usually the middle class, and they are usually younger (16-30). Yobbo's are more obnoxious, arrogant and loud -- the type to wear the Australian flag around their neck at the Big Day Out Festival. They'll always abide by the "stereotypes", like wearing thongs on a wet 10 degree day and drinking a beer at the most inappropriate times -- just so people know they are Australian.

A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket.
hmmm.........not sure I completely agree t0mmy.

I think these things aren't necessarily defined by income.

I know plenty of people who could buy and sell my mother, who have more money than half the folks living in Toorak but they're definitely bogans.

I think I'd probably lean more toward the idea that these things are determined by educational & cultural standard moreseo than along socio economic lines. Hence the cashed up Bogan in the latest Holden Ute spending up big on fishing trips where they wash down lobster pate' de foi gras with cans of VB.

And to me a yobbo has always been an indicator of dh behaviour. Either as a term of endearment or not but a yobbo is someone that does something stupid, good or bad. I've seen plenty of yobbos from the wealthier suburbs that think they're all that. In the best clothes, well educated, nice homes but they're dumb enough to drink and drive and try to get off when they're caught. Half the yobbos around the South Eastern suburbs spend a small fortune on their cars because they can and they have all the latest video equipment and mobile phones at their disposal in order to stay one step of the cops trying to bust them for their hoonish efforts.

There's definitely bogan & yobbo traits in Hugh Jackman but I doubt very much his life is even remotely like that of someone living in the Western suburbs and working in a factory who shares the same traits.

I really think bogan & yobbo is a mindset more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
I came here to find out if a yobbo was the Australian equivalent of a redneck, so I don't claim to know the full answer as to what each one is but I don't think T0mmy is the one to be setting people straight, here's why

"A bogan is someone of the lower income bracket and is the only one that is determined based on socio-economic grounds. However, a bogan's actions are another determinant. A bogan will act "Aussie": cars, beer, jimmy barnes etc. Bogans often are actually very nice people."

Bogans are not necessarily on a low income, I grew up in the 80's ad 90's and bogans were people who chose to call themselves Bogans and although a lot were poorer, a well off person could choose to be one too, I knew a few. Jimmy Barnes is not at all a key factor to Bogans, more so is heavy metal like ACDC Metallica and Iron Maiden etc, they are just as likely to be a nice person as anyone else in my opinion,people decide for themselves what sort of people they do and don't like, so I don't see how it is worth mentioning

"A yobbo on the other hand can be from any socio-economic class, usually the middle class, and they are usually younger (16-30). Yobbo's are more obnoxious, arrogant and loud -- the type to wear the Australian flag around their neck at the Big Day Out Festival. They'll always abide by the "stereotypes", like wearing thongs on a wet 10 degree day and drinking a beer at the most inappropriate times -- just so people know they are Australian."

People are usually pretty set in their ways by the time they hit thirty especially yobbos, from what I have seen as they are often very narrow minded don't start growing a brain all of a sudden just because they've hit thirty and their and their are plenty of yobbos out there that are well over thirty.

"A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket."

I agree with this though I thought I should point out the term actually originated from very pissed off and messed up American soldiers who came back from the Vietnam war having literally gotten red necks from sunburn

T0mmy clearly is not a full bottle on Bogans, Yobbos and Rednecks and should be asking the question rather than answering it in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 AM

145 posts, read 259,995 times
Not sure if I can post a link to this group (google 'The Anti Bogan')

...a Bogan, plainly and simply, is a relic of our society who chooses to cling to hooligan type behaviour to express an exclusionist, uneducated opinion, which largely derives from fear - ie. ‘eff off we’re full’. " - K. Stratton
It's a group that exposes racist and bigoted behaviour and makes the public more public.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM

317 posts, read 527,984 times
Basically white trash

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino_rider View Post
this could be, uh, educational....

YouTube - Nobody likes a Bogan

I never heard of the word "Bogan" until I read this thread.

Turns out I am a Bogan.

I'm probably a Yabbo too.

And I have always been a Redneck.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mmys got it wrong View Post

I agree with this though I thought I should point out the term actually originated from very pissed off and messed up American soldiers who came back from the Vietnam war having literally gotten red necks from sunburn
You would be wrong.

The term "redneck" predates the Vietnam conflict.

I'll give you a hint: Farmer's necks would get sunburned whilst tending thier fields. They tended to be unsophisticated. Hence, the term "rednecks" was born.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,005 times
Hmm the word root is a touch different between the USA and Aus.
If we had some attractive young American lass saying she would come and root for the team she would be shall we say both popular and a trifle tired.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
You would be wrong.

The term "redneck" predates the Vietnam conflict.

I'll give you a hint: Farmer's necks would get sunburned whilst tending thier fields. They tended to be unsophisticated. Hence, the term "rednecks" was born.
Wikipedia has a neat little article describing farmer's tan, Franciscan tan (caused by sandals), etc...

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM

359 posts, read 658,135 times
The term redneck may trace back to Scotland. Origin Of "Redneck" ... A Term That Crosses Race & Geography | Race and Ethnic Relations | USA on Race

Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
When I was in California I didn't see any redneck type of people.. You'll find them mostly in the low and poor cities and country sides..

Where as in Auatralia bogans are found everywhere and throughout Sydney, Melbourne etc

Seriously if I was offered a job anywhere in Caliifornia I wouldn't hesitate.. Such a lovely place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand