Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,415 times

Advertisements

Is the Kiwi accent unsexy?

I think the Kiwi accent could be incredibly sexy depending on how hot the speaker was and what he was whispering in my ear

It's an interesting accent, especially the differences within NZ. Maori have their own distinct accent. Then there's that "fush and chups" accent at the extreme end of Kiwi accents. One lady at work speaks like that. She can be difficult to understand. The other Kiwis have a softer version of hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
I don't find the accent "Unsexy". Though it is quite humourous to listen to sometimes.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 AM

141 posts, read 342,612 times
Im a Kiwi and I dont consider my accent 'sexy' as such. I live in ChCh but was brought up in the Auckland region where my brothers and sisters still live. After living down here for the last 15 years (with a short stint up North) I almost cringe when I hear my sisters and brothers speak now...it seems so rough and 'slangy'! Its funny though, my wife thought the same about me when I first moved here, especially since I ended sentences in eh all the time, so obviously my accent has moved to a more southern sound (yes there are regional differences in accents in NZ). As far as what foreigners think of my accent, Ive lived overseas for a number of years and travelled extensively. In my experience its only the Aussies that give us a serious hard time about our accent, although in Canada I was given a hard time about some of my terms (tramping vs hiking, car boot vs trunk, section vs yard) but in light jest. He also had trouble understanding me. In England and in the Southern USA it took me a while to understand them too.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Theres a guy from NZ at work whom I continually have to ask to repeat himself, I just can't make out what the hell he's saying half the time. I find the accent a bit unclear, same with Aust. accents a lot of the time. I wonder if there are regional differences in NZ, same as in Aust? (yes there ARE differences in Aust accents, someone from Adl almost sounds british compared to a Queenslander!)
Anyone from NZ care to weigh in?
We actually just covered that in a recent thread(can't remember which one) but yes there are regional differences in kiwi accents.

I've dated a lot of kiwi girls and the accent isn't unsexy.

The accent though has a unique sound like the person has marbles in their mouth or they are crunching on the words. They also "pop" the stressed syllable.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muir33 View Post
In my experience its only the Aussies that give us a serious hard time about our accent,
I've seen aussies in ROFL hysterics just listening to kiwis say "ten" and "six". Tin and sux.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Actually 'fush and chups' and 'tin and sux' are pretty inaccurate. Kiwis don't so much as swap vowels as drop them. So it's like f'sh and ch'ps. That's the difference between someone doing a bad accent and the real deal.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually 'fush and chups' and 'tin and sux' are pretty inaccurate. Kiwis don't so much as swap vowels as drop them. So it's like f'sh and ch'ps. That's the difference between someone doing a bad accent and the real deal.
Yeah, There's a sort of clipping in the accent? Vowels either get dropped or just reduced!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yeah, There's a sort of clipping in the accent? Vowels either get dropped or just reduced!
Yes, I think my accent is a tiny bit Kiwi, I sometimes drop vowels like that, even though I only lived there 6 weeks! lol

Old 03-26-2009, 02:36 AM

10 posts, read 28,631 times
I have a pretty strong Kiwi accent, and can say some of our accents do sound "unsexy". The way some Maoris speak sounds plain unattractive and mongrel-ish.

Australians sound ridiculous to me though and many find their accents attractive To me, they say "feesh and cheeps". We say "fish and chips". It's not "fush". I don't know why everyone thinks we talk like that.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually it's pretty damn accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand