Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 22,497 times

Advertisements

I just know that the true Kiwi accent is quite hard to copy. Sam Neil says it is the hardest, speaking as an actor. Notice The Kiwi accent of the main actor in The world's Fastest Indian. He filmed in NZ, surrounded by Kiwi actors, and could not pull a Kiwi accent off smoothly. He gets it in some phrases and bits but can't carry it off continuously throughout his monologues. I spent years there and could never duplicate it though I tried and am a language teacher. Just the expressions and finally I added "eh" to the ends of my sentences......my kids can do the Maori 'accent' to a tee, yet they never acquired a regular Kiwi accent and they had lived in NZ since they were 2!
I personally don't find it "sexy" at all. It is a blander, muddier cousin of the Oz accent, "go to bid", milk and leemon", "there's a hull in the ground" . Mind you it has changed sooo much since the old days. I've heard old recordings on National Radio of very early speakers in both North and South island and you can barely understand them.
For me it's the speed with which they speak (super fast) and the fact that they do not open their mouthes very much so gives a muttering effect. Non-English-as-a -first-language listeners have a really bad time understanding Kiwis in NZ. The first 6 months I was there I could not understand anyone on the phone....and I'm a native speaker!
Also Kiwis love to bash Americans for being loud...ha! Kiwis are a loud, brash bunch. Oops, did that sound negative? Sorry :-) How brash of me :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,461,364 times
As a kiwi visited the United States, I had nothing but good things to say about the New Zealand accent, of course I'm going to say I don't like the Aussie accent, its only natural for a kiwi to say that

But I don't think it is unsexy, if anything us and Aus accents are generally very popular over in the States.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,612,395 times
I don't speak "Kiwi" in the generally understood sense - but I find it much easier on the ear than the typical Aussie or US twangs. On our TV newscasts, many reporters pop up on TV stories from the US, using vowel distortions that make one really shudder. Where the hell is the "Waaaaaast" coast of the USA? Will some of them ever "looauurrrn" to speak more attractively?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
On our TV newscasts, many reporters pop up on TV stories from the US, using vowel distortions that make one really shudder. Where the hell is the "Waaaaaast" coast of the USA? Will some of them ever "looauurrrn" to speak more attractively?
To many of those speakers, their accent does sound attactive.
Aah laaahk thuh saound uuuv aay theeiiicck suuuthun draawl taaoo!

Actually, I like almost any regional US accent better than "standard American"
or the accents used on CNN, which to me often come across as "stale", "robotic" or "forced."

Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM

184 posts, read 837,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Actually, I like almost any regional US accent better than "standard American"
or the accents used on CNN, which to me often come across as "stale", "robotic" or "forced."
I would go along with this too. For me I think it's a familiarity thing. I'm pretty much indifferent to Kiwi and Aussie accents, the American english of CNN, or the English english of BBC. I guess I just hear them all too often for them to be interesting anymore. But the regional american accents I don't get to hear much can still sound fantasic to me.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I would go along with this too. For me I think it's a familiarity thing. I'm pretty much indifferent to Kiwi and Aussie accents, the American english of CNN, or the English english of BBC. I guess I just hear them all too often for them to be interesting anymore. But the regional american accents I don't get to hear much can still sound fantasic to me.
Yeah I really dig regional accents myself. Nothing sounds more elegant (in my opinion) than a classy lady speaking in a Tidewater accent.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believ Me I've Been There View Post
I just know that the true Kiwi accent is quite hard to copy. Sam Neil says it is the hardest, speaking as an actor. :-)
Kind of funny since Neil is really a Kiwi.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,734,624 times
I love going to New Zealand and listening to their ads. Their accent is funny and tends to be exaggerated on the t.v. One ad a few years back went something like "Wen tuckets to en Ol Bleck Teest Metch!" It made me wet myself every time.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 AM

305 posts, read 539,865 times
Sometimes it seems as if the vowel sounds are switched. I joked with a Kiwi friend when I was in NZ wondering how they teach vowel sounds in school.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
Sometimes it seems as if the vowel sounds are switched. I joked with a Kiwi friend when I was in NZ wondering how they teach vowel sounds in school.
I'm hard-pressed to think of a vowel sound that everyday US accents don't switch or warp...talk about Biblical motes and beams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand